Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

Max Payne 3 a financial flop?

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By mano521

Thats a damn shame. Max Payne 3 deserves to be bought by more people. Loved the story and its made me go back and try out the old ones again. Also jumping in a random online game and seeing a member of the giantbombsquad is always nice

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Freshbandito

@clstirens said:

@doobie: Is that not the definition of butt hurt?

He appears to be attempting to argue semantics, incorrectly. Also he didn't see the sarcasm that 's post was dripping with.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By TheHumanDove

That's too bad. Loved the game.

TheWyotee93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By TheWyotee93

There's nothing special about max payne 3 in my view. Slowing down time just isn't that cool anymore no matter how cool the game's style may be.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By Getz

Game didn't do great in the press; most reactions were "yeah, I guess it's pretty good" so I'm not surprised the game didn't do gangbusters.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
    The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic said:
    @Gunslinger0130 said:

@AhmadMetallic:  How did they fuck you with LA Noire? That game was a breath of fresh air in a stale market.

A nice movie-like story and good cutscenes are not what defines a 'breath of fresh air game' in my book. This is games, not movies. The gameplay was an utter repetitive abomination. 
    The game was a AAA evolution of the traditional point and click adventure game, a ballsy move to put out in a generation saturated by shooters. The reason you think it was a boring, repetitive abomination is because you went into it with the brainwashed, spoiled mindset of a gamer produced by a market that's been drip feeding you non-stop action and shooting. The reason I say it was a breath of fresh air is because of exactly that, it was a character/story driven adventure game in essentially unfriendly waters.
    Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#57  Edited By Sackmanjones

I thought I saw headlines that it was selling strong, guess I was mistakin or it cost more money than I thought. Anyway it is a shame because it's a fucking great game that deserves to be played

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#58  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Gunslinger0130 said:
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    @Gunslinger0130 said:

@AhmadMetallic:  How did they fuck you with LA Noire? That game was a breath of fresh air in a stale market.

A nice movie-like story and good cutscenes are not what defines a 'breath of fresh air game' in my book. This is games, not movies. The gameplay was an utter repetitive abomination. 
    The game was a AAA evolution of the traditional point and click adventure game, a ballsy move to put out in a generation saturated by shooters. The reason you think it was a boring, repetitive abomination is because you went into it with the brainwashed, spoiled mindset of a gamer produced by a market that's been drip feeding you non-stop action and shooting. The reason I say it was a breath of fresh air is because of exactly that, it was a character/story driven adventure game in essentially unfriendly waters.
    I never said I wanted action and shooting. I wanted good gameplay, something to do that requires some form of skill and has a learning curve, a challenge, or at least something entertaining. It's a game, and it was advertised as an open world detective game, not an evolution of point and click games. False advertising is my problem here.
    Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
    The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic said:
    @Gunslinger0130 said:
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    @Gunslinger0130 said:

I never said I wanted action and shooting. I wanted good gameplay, something to do that requires some form of skill and has a learning curve, a challenge, or at least something entertaining. It's a game, and it was advertised as an open world detective game, not an evolution of point and click games. False advertising is my problem here.
    And I hear you there for sure, I think a lot of people went in to LA Noire not really knowing what to expect, I can see that curve ball being pretty fucking lame when it finally hits and you're expecting a whole other thing. In that respect, yeah, sounds like Rockstar did fuck you with this one. Haha.
    Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Matterless

@AhmadMetallic said:

@CL60 said:
    @AhmadMetallic
    @2HeadedNinja said:

Well, I bought it, not my fault.

Not your "fault"? There's no fault here, I bought it as well but I'm glad Rockstar bombed, because they fucked me with LA Noire last year, they deserve it.
    What kind of stupid ass logic is that.
    There's no logic, I'm upset that they duped me with LA Noire trailers and didn't tell me the gameplay was a complete repetitive embarrassment, wasting 60 dollars of my hard earned money on a piece of shit interactive movie, so I'm happy for their current misfortune. It's called being butthurt.

If only there were some sort of internet resource that allowed one to see what a game plays like before he spent money on it.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By CaLe

So Rockstar don't have the midas touch.. I really like their marketing but seems it just didn't take with this one.

I started off really not enjoying this game and you know why? I was playing it dead wrong and once I fixed that my enjoyment increased by a factor of initial agreement statements. Not only did they fix it but I was better off for it considering the last man left out in the cold.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Real bummer, I loved this game.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By koolaid

I mean, everyone says releasing the same days as D3 was a bad idea, but D3 is PC only and at the time MP3 was the console alternative. I'm really surprised at this turn of events. I guess the good news is that PC is still a force to be reckoned with.

But I'm still bummed because I think Max Payne 3 is the greatest shooter I've ever played. But that's a separate issue.

Also, this is a twitter account. I know its Michael Pachter but...

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By squirrelnacho

Many people who were familiar with the Max Payne name were very apprehensive about the direction the new developer was taking, and likely held off. Also, many other people likely just weren't familiar with the Max Payne name at all.

sBlacksmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By sBlacksmith

Remedy is cursed.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#66  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@SASnake said:

games been out a month, oh well, guess it wont sell anymore copies ever after its first week of release right....right?

It might have an okay long tail but even then it means it will sell for less than the $60 of the first month so even if it will sell more it won't make as much money.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#67  Edited By mosespippy

@Pr1mus said:

Sales don't matter, Rockstar shipped 3 millions already, and that's just retail. As far as their financial bottom line is concerned those copies are already sold. 3 millions copies is not a flop. And the cost of making a game on the same tech they've been using since the beginning of this gen is probably much less than L.A. Noire's development cost.

And anyway, NPD is just north america. I know it sounds crazy but there's a whole world out there!

Fixed. Also NPD doesn't include Wal Mart or digital sales. I'm sure that if Steam figures were included then it's not as bad of a flop. LA Noire didn't have a PC release until 6 months later.

Avatar image for deathmachine117
    Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Deathmachine117

I like to think that the Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch film had pretty much killed the Max Payne brand in the general market.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#69  Edited By Video_Game_King

And should I remember correctly, LA Noire didn't sell too well in the first place...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#70  Edited By TheHT

@sBlacksmith said:

Remedy is cursed.

how so?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#71  Edited By Jimbo

Didn't LA Noire sell fuckloads?

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#72  Edited By viking_funeral

@Pr1mus: Shipped does not equal sold.

If that were true, Dragon Age 2 would have been a massive success.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73  Edited By pr1mus

@Paul_Is_Drunk said:

Read my comment again. For their finances shipped and sold it the exact same things. They've got their money and they're probably happy about it.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By hatking

@KoolAid said:

I guess the good news is that PC Blizzard is still a force to be reckoned with.

Here we go.

And I don't think Rockstar would really be bothered by this. They're one of the few large studios out there willing to put out a game that isn't a guaranteed financial success.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By koolaid

@HatKing:

I meant PC, Not Blizzard.

What I'm trying to say is that there is still lots of potential for profit on the PC if you make a PC focused game. A lot of complaints I feel are levied that the game makers have forgotten the PC. And that most modern PC games are just ports of the console version.

Now that being said, you are also correct that Blizzard has a strategy that allows them to be so successful on PC. They make their games so that they are playable on the largest net of computers possible. In an age for there are more macbooks then PCs, this allows them to actually design games for the modern PC user (and by PC I mean non console: windows + mac) and expand their sales at the cost of the cutting edge graphics.

While this is bad news for those that love their cutting edge crysis and Total War experiences, what I hope will come of this is more indie or low budget developers will make amazing games for PC. I've being playing a lot of Dungeons of Dredmor lately and I love it!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By hatking

@KoolAid: My point is simply that I don't see anybody, outside of the established PC guys (Blizzard, Valve, etc), coming out and successfully releasing a new PC focused IP.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#77  Edited By Vinny_Says

People who played max payne back in the day are all either dead or in old folks homes, what did rockstar expect?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I'm gonna be an asshole. But I'll go ahead and say, I'm glad.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#79  Edited By williamhenry

@Paul_Is_Drunk said:

To a publisher, they are the same thing. Its not like games are sold on consignment where Rockstar would only get paid once the game sells at retail. Rockstar was paid for 3 millions copies of the game, whether those sell through to the public or not. Its the retail places that have to worry about having extra stock left over.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#80  Edited By Justin258

@AhmadMetallic said:

@2HeadedNinja said:

Not your "fault"? There's no fault here, I bought it as well but I'm glad Rockstar bombed, because they fucked me with LA Noire last year, they deserve it.

Yet they released what must be one of your favorite games? You gushed about it on a blog a week or two ago...

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By mandude

I feel bad now for not giving it a chance. Still, if I didn't have two whole weeks of Diablo III temptation before MP3 even released, maybe my impulses would have bought it rather than Diablo III.

camp7203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By camp7203

If you release anything anywhere near a Blizzard product, be prepared.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @believer258 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@2HeadedNinja said:

Yet they released what must be one of your favorite games? You gushed about it on a blog a week or two ago...

The wasted 60 dollars on LA Noire still hurt.
    Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#84  Edited By Sin4profit

I bought it on PC, really enjoyed it. Curious what caused the low sales, you could say Diablo 3 but i don't feel like that would take that much from the console market. I'm curious if they just skimped on the marketing funds knowing GTA V is around the corner.

Either way, it's a good game that didn't sell so an interesting case study.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By psylah

According to Joystiq, MP3 sold a little over 400,000 copies.

If companies are spending money to make a game to "AAA specifications", from "AAA developers", they'd better make sure gamers aren't "AAA fucking bored" of the genre before expecting to turn a profit.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Lukeweizer

Was it really in developement for 8 years? Or has it just been 8 years since Max Payne 2?

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Gravier251

Dosn't NPD focus solely on America and also disregard digital sales of a product? Seems a bit premature to be calling it a failure and a waste of Rockstar's resources on that single source alone.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By TentPole

@AhmadMetallic said:

@believer258 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@2HeadedNinja said:

LA Noire > Max Payne 1,2, or 3.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @TentPole said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@believer258 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@2HeadedNinja said:

Agreed.
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#90  Edited By TheHT

@AhmadMetallic said:

@TentPole said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@believer258 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@2HeadedNinja said:

Agreed.

well shit, maybe i should get started on l.a. noire tonight rather than bum around in mount and blade until my internet's stable enough to play diablo 3. bought it a while ago for cheap during a steam sale.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AhmadMetallic said:

@CL60 said:
    @AhmadMetallic
    @2HeadedNinja said:

What kind of stupid ass logic is that.
    There's no logic, I'm upset that they duped me with LA Noire trailers and didn't tell me the gameplay was a complete repetitive embarrassment, wasting 60 dollars of my hard earned money on a piece of shit interactive movie, so I'm happy for their current misfortune. It's called being butthurt.

I'm not sure how Rockstar duped you if it's entirely your fault that you wasted 60 dollars on a product you didn't like. The reviews and gameplay footage released soon after the games release provided more than enough information about the majority of the gameplay.

Also why do people forget that L.A Noire was not only a joint effort from Rockstar and Team Bondi, but a constant struggle between the two as well.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#92  Edited By Liquidus

Too bad. Looked like a really cool game but I just didn't feel like paying full price for it.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#93  Edited By Dalai

Maybe the Max Payne name just wasn't as big as Rockstar thought it was... or they sat on that franchise too long and people forgot Max Payne existed. 

Or Pachter jumped the gun and Rockstar will come out in 6 months saying Max Payne was a success.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By MrKlorox

Hmm... it's almost as if Rockstar needs another game to come this fiscal year. It's not like a bunch of super hyped franchises were delayed from this 'holiday' season, leaving room for a mega blockbuster. Oh wait, that did happen.

edit: Also this means MP3 will probably get a Steam sale soon.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By SlasherMan

@mosespippy said:

@Pr1mus said:

Sales don't matter, Rockstar shipped 3 millions already, and that's just retail. As far as their financial bottom line is concerned those copies are already sold. 3 millions copies is not a flop. And the cost of making a game on the same tech they've been using since the beginning of this gen is probably much less than L.A. Noire's development cost.

And anyway, NPD is just north america. I know it sounds crazy but there's a whole world out there!

Fixed. Also NPD doesn't include Wal Mart or digital sales. I'm sure that if Steam figures were included then it's not as bad of a flop. LA Noire didn't have a PC release until 6 months later.

The numbers NPD released are US retail only, actually.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/15/npd-diablo-3-sold-a-million-at-retail-max-payne-3-and-ghost-re/

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 30

#96  Edited By brownsfantb

The marketing for Max Payne 3 didn't seem as prevalent as other Rockstar games and the word of mouth was kinda negative after the early reviews came out. I'm not too surprised by this.

oddface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By oddface

A shame, but I'm not too surprised. Rockstar sells big, ambitious ideas. When you see footage from GTA, RDR or LA Noire, it sends your imagination running, thinking of all the interesting experiences you could have in such a huge, sprawling game. With Max Payne, what you see is what you get; you shoot dudes. Personally I think it's one of the best shooters I've ever played, but I can see how it didn't capture the imagination of the masses like Rockstar's other games.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By viking_funeral

@WilliamHenry: @Pr1mus: Publishers are often on the line for unsold merchandise. This is common in almost all avenues of retail. If this wasn't the case, retailers and not publishers would bear the brunt of overly hyped games that sold poorly. That obviously doesn't happen. GameStop and Best Buy don't lose several million dollars because Dragon Age 2 only sold half of what it shipped.

Returned, unsold game costs are often factored into the per-sale price as can be seen in this breakdown: (Clicky).

Note that the representation shown in that link does not display the developer's cut. This is more than likely because most developers are owned by their publishers these days, so their share goes back to the publisher which financed their development. In a deal between a developer and a publisher that does not own said developer, the developer will often receive about $7 of that share. That's around standard, but obviously it changes. Yes, publishers take a much larger share than developers, but they also bear more risk. Like having to pay for returned games.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By ShaggE

@Oddface said:

A shame, but I'm not too surprised. Rockstar sells big, ambitious ideas. When you see footage from GTA, RDR or LA Noire, it sends your imagination running, thinking of all the interesting experiences you could have in such a huge, sprawling game. With Max Payne, what you see is what you get; you shoot dudes. Personally I think it's one of the best shooters I've ever played, but I can see how it didn't capture the imagination of the masses like Rockstar's other games.

Exactly. MP3 is a fantastic game in so many ways, and it quickly became one of my favorite games, but it's as much of a hard sell as a triple A shooter can ever be. It's not Max Payne enough for most hardcore fans, and it's not Rockstar enough for newcomers.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By napalm

@TentPole said:

Aren't you so fucking witty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.