Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Feb 19, 2013

A fast-paced action game co-developed by PlatinumGames and Kojima Productions. It follows ninja-cyborg Raiden's activities four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Kojima's Not Directing "Rising", Only "Peace Walker"

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

Well there's a turn up for the books:

The series' creator, Hideo Kojima, has explained in a Famitsu interview that he's actually only fully involved with the PSP game, where he will be serving as director, producer and game designer. He describes Peace Walker as the "Metal Gear Solid 5 inside me."

As for Rising, Kojima-san will only be serving as producer along side Kenichiro Imaizumi, telling Famitsu magazine:

"I'm not the director. I'm not doing game design either. Although, I do issue complaints (laughs). But, not too much."

Nonetheless, Metal Gear Solid Rising is still described by Kojima-san as the "next generation Metal Gear Solid 5."

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

You know he'll poke his nose in all the time though because he's been trying to step away from MGS for years now and each time he stays on cause he doesn't want other people butchering his IP.

Avatar image for shadowsaber_806
    ShadowSaber_806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By ShadowSaber_806
    @PapaLazarou said:
    "You know he'll poke his nose in all the time though because he's been trying to step away from MGS for years now and each time he stays on cause he doesn't want other people butchering his IP."

Lol, probably. I'm stoked about him directing Peacewalker though, looks pretty awesome. Anyone else wonder if the gameplay for Rising will be completely different from the MGS4 engine? I think the pace (movements / attack)would be too slow if they were to focus on Raiden, since he is now a Cyborg Ninja.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By get2sammyb
    @ShadowSaber_806: Yep. It's going to be Ninja Gaiden. Guaranteed.
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Plasma

No, he said it'd still be stealth, maybe more Tenchu than Metal Gear Solid.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By TheKidNixon

Not really a surprise. When he went out of his way to explain that he was directing Peace Walker, and it was a TRUE sequel, I couldn't help but wince a bit. You could fill in the additional, "You know, unlike that OTHER game."

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By KamasamaK
    @Plasma said:
    " No, he said it'd still be stealth, maybe more Tenchu than Metal Gear Solid. "
    Link? I've been hearing from everyone that it's more action, however that mostly seems based on "Tactical Espionage Action" being replaced with "Lightning Bolt Action" which I wouldn't consider a definitive source. I'm not sure why Cyborg Raiden would bother with stealth, though.
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Steve_C
    No Place For Hideo

I just want to see what this game will be like. Who's writing it, because if it's not Kojima....

I don't want to be sceptical, but the more i hear about this game the more it sounds like MGS: Gaiden. The difference in tone and the Kojima influence was already evident from the Rising/Peace Walker trailers. It also seemed like from what I read that MGS: Rising would just become it's own side series with more than the one title. Also clueless as to how this raiden game would fit into the metal gear canon based on what he looks like. Kojima better go onto create a proper MGS5 or the next series after 'Solid', and not hand the franchise over to some other team. I know Peace Walker has actual story so I definately want it, but so did Portable Ops and that wasn't considered MGS4.

Still, i'll probably buy Rising at launch assuming it's not terrible, but i really need to see gameplay. It could turn out pretty good though, or be a testing ground for ideas that could be implemented within 5.
    McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By McPaper
    @Kamasama: He mentioned an emphasis on stealth at the Konami press conference.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hitchenson
    @Plasma said:
    " No, he said it'd still be stealth, maybe more Tenchu than Metal Gear Solid. "
    When was this said? Link?
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By KamasamaK
    @McPaper: OK, thanks.

By the way, I wonder why they're keeping the "Solid" name. Could Snake play an important role in this one?
    McPaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By McPaper
    @Kamasama: One of the images at the press conference had Raiden on top of one of those biomechanical dog things, the name slips me. You saw those enemy during MGS4. My only speculation on the setting on Raising is that it takes place during the events of MGS4 so my bet Solid Snake may play some sort of role.
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By danielkempster
    @Kamasama said:
    " @McPaper: OK, thanks.By the way, I wonder why they're keeping the "Solid" name. Could Snake play an important role in this one? "
    I was under the impression that the "Solid" tag was added in MGS1 as a reference to the 3D graphics used in the game, as opposed to the 2D graphics used in Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2.

For some reason this news doesn't really surprise me. Rising never really struck me as a Kojima-led title, it just didn't seem like something Kojima would want to be in charge of. Peace Walker, on the other hand... Now that's something I can't wait for.
    Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ket87

I just watched the Peace Walker trailer and it looks pretty bad ass, I can see why Kojima would be making it as it will be a true MGS title as Rising is just a side story more or less. And also Love Pack.....WTF? That was the greatest thing is any trailer ever made ever lol.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Plasma

Oh about that it being a stealth game, It was on either the Kotaku or G4 live blog, said something like it'll still be stealth oriented like all metal gears.

nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By nick69

hm, hopefully it will be story-oriented and not just, kill all these bro's in under 5 minutes/

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By VisariLoyalist

peace walker looks like one of the best plots of a metal gear game I've seen, in that I feel like I might actually be able to understand it.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#18  Edited By AgentJ

Im shocked Thiago hasnt made a snide comment yet. I wonder if he's feeling well...

Cymatics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cymatics

Might be a good thing for me, I really like the gameplay in MGS, but I feel I don't get enough of it in one game. Maybe it can change now. Change of style on a new console. As long as the gameplay keep's being good, I really don't care who is directing the game it self.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By TwoOneFive

can't wait to play Peace Walker. 

Who knows about Rising. You watch, they'll end up releasing the first bad game bearing the MGS name. 
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Diamond

My hype for Rising drops another notch :/

I wish Peace Walker was on PS3 or 360 :/

Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Tiwi

I still think MGS: Rising is sort of a retarded or special name.
    you got like guns of the patriots  and snake eater  which is good subtitles, but rising?
    Peace walker has a rad name though. Still getting both, for now...

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ket87

I guess Peace Walker is technically the official MGS5. When the nuke goes off in the trailer at the beginning when they show the title it actually flashes a giant 5 before it goes to the Peace Walker logo. Kind of weird that Kojima would go to a portable for the next installment, Peace Walker would have been badass as a PS3/360 game. Plus I'd imagine it being on PSP would mean the gameplay is retroactive back to MGS3. Either way guess I'm going to have to pick up a PSP again for this, havn't missed a MGS game yet it'd be a silly time to start when they are covering a topic I've been interested in since MGS3, how Big Boss went from who he was in Snake Eater to Outer Heaven.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.