Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Feb 19, 2013

A fast-paced action game co-developed by PlatinumGames and Kojima Productions. It follows ninja-cyborg Raiden's activities four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Metal Gear Rising 4.5 hours

• 122 results
    ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

I started this game yesterday around 9am in hopes I could finish it before the Sony conf started. I spent 4 hours in it and only got to the second level. Why? Freakin' codecs.

I listened to little more than 3 hours of codecs... IN THE FIRST LEVEL! I'm not really complaining, all the codec stuff is pretty fascinating and super well acted (cept maybe Raiden), and its all completely optional. Just... I didn't expect there would be so much of it. I feel like I'm going through and arcsys fighter's story mode. After the first mission, I was a bit exhausted from so much codecs, I had to take a break.

And I can't not listen to any future ones now, that would be crazy! I'm already so invested!

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I just finished my first playthrough, 8h45m on the clock, hard mode, no codecs. Seemed like plenty of game to me.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#103  Edited By crithon

all of the MGS games are 2 hours long if you do the same logic behind Rising's gameplay only moments.

Signus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished and thoroughly enjoyed nearly every minute of it, clock read 6h27m at the end. I felt like I spent plenty of time on the game though, just listening to codecs and exploring both the environments and the combat system. Ended up with a pretty shitty score at the end because of that, but that's to be expected when you're just experimenting with what the game gives you.

I understand that when you're playing a game for review, you're not generally going to take your time and that's where a lot of the "This game is short" complaints came about, but Revengeance feels about where it needs to be. It actually reminded me a lot of Vanquish, which I loved as well, so I have no complaints. I'd love for a sequel to be developed for next-gen by Platinum, so here's hoping Konami gives them another go at it.

With this, Ground Zeroes, and Phantom Pain, Metal Gear seems like the majority of their videogame content these days.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sanious said:

Chapter "0" overall took me 15 minutes the game said. The first chapter took me 45.

So the display time was 15 minutes, but in reality you played it for 45?

That seems pretty accurate, given people have been bandying about the 3.5 hour completion times, while others are saying it's taken them about 9 hours to run through.

No, there is a 0 chapter with Raiden looking like MGS4 Raiden and it shows why he looks like he does in the demo. The display time for the 0 chapter was 15 minutes and the amount of time it took me for chapter 1 was 45. I was pointing that out as a means that people posting that it is only 4.5 hours long are being misleading.

MurderBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started at about 1 a clock and not counting a few breakers in between i have played it non stop for about 5 hours now (I REALLY LIKE IT) my timer says around 2 hours. I have only played through a bit of chapter 2 so far. IF it keeps it up like this it will be maybe 4-5 hours on the timer when i finish, but it will be more like 10 hours of game time.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely hate the camera in the Sam fight, it is seriously screwing me up.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#108  Edited By musubi

@sanious: Oh yeah, the way its really really elastic and always wants to focus on him is annoying.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

I just finished the game and the time was 3 hr 12 mins but ive sitting here playing it for at least 6 hours.

Sanious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Sanious

@demoskinos: Yeah, when I am trying to parry and the camera constantly spins around to the point where it messes up the direction I am trying to parry.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#111  Edited By musubi

@wwfundertaker: I'm pretty sure it only takes the times from the ranking battles in the game. If you noticed not EVERY fight the ranking window pops up on when you're done. I think it adds all of those times together to formulate your "time"

SpasticHeathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By SpasticHeathen

@oldirtybearon said:

@ghostiet said:

@oldirtybearon said:

If it truly is only 4.5 hours then that's very disappointing. I don't think any developer is that crazy though.

Character action games are never long. Most levels in the new DmC can take less than 10 minutes to finish if you have a slight sense of what you're doing.

Also, the way the game records time is not indicative at all - it only takes your fastest time in consideration. The time of your playthrough should actually decrease the more you play it, since the game doesn't count totals.

DmC was 10-12 hours the first time through. Repeated playthroughs yield faster and faster times as you get better at the game and skip a bunch of cutscenes. 8-10 hours is not short so much as average. I'm not sure what your point was considering I stated that Platinum Games is not stupid enough to push out a 4.5 hour game for $60.

DmC's save file timer counts every second you're playing the game. That includes loads, cutscenes, deaths, time spent in the shop or looking at leaderboards, etc. On my first playthrough of DmC on Nephilim only watching the second half of the game's cutscenes, I clocked five and a half hours and that's a real five and a half hours with twenty-odd deaths while MGR:R was five hours and fifteen minutes on hard with twenty-eight deaths, cutscenes, VR missions and time dicking around in the shop going uncounted.

MGR:R is pretty much the same pound for pound in gameplay content as DmC if not outright more as I could've shaved an additional thirty minutes to an hour if I skipped cutscenes in that game (And doesn't have so much platforming filler, at least MGR:R you're generally tearing from one fight to the next in no time)

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I completed MGR in 10 hours, with codec and cut-scenes.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#114  Edited By Icemael

To once again give an idea of how much the time counting system excludes, I just played the game for 2 hours and 15 minutes and the timer says I played for 1 hour and 10 minutes. That's 48% of my playing time so far not counted.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#115  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

I've played through this game three times already because the levels are constantly fun. I'm glad they made a short action game instead of a long one that's padded out with lots of shitty sections that exist only to increase the game length.

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#116  Edited By KarlPilkington

It may be short, but there is still lots of fun to be had. For example, I made this video.

Loading Video...

It's hard to be angry at such a crazy game, it would be hard to justify a purchase but it would be a great rent.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's insulting that many of my PSN games that cost a quarter of this title last twice or thrice as long. Usually, I have never felt that any of the games I have played (including COD4:MW and Vanquish) have been particularly short because the experience was good and varied enough in them to feel like they were complete games.

Rising is the first title in which I have felt insulted at the shortness of the game. Considering that the story is exceedingly stupid, there is no emotional payoff for replaying the game. The environments are drab and dull and that further reduces the appeal to go through the campaign again. Both of these reasons make me not even want to show off the game to family or friends. Bosses don't take more than one or two tries to figure out their movesets and if S ranking every mission is the only challenge left in the game, then I'm afraid the camera isn't conducive to trying. I don't give a damn about video game achievements anymore so there.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@tangoup said:

It's insulting that many of my PSN games that cost a quarter of this title last twice or thrice as long. Usually, I have never felt that any of the games I have played (including COD4:MW and Vanquish) have been particularly short because the experience was good and varied enough in them to feel like they were complete games.

Rising is the first title in which I have felt insulted at the shortness of the game. Considering that the story is exceedingly stupid, there is no emotional payoff for replaying the game. The environments are drab and dull and that further reduces the appeal to go through the campaign again. Both of these reasons make me not even want to show off the game to family or friends. Bosses don't take more than one or two tries to figure out their movesets and if S ranking every mission is the only challenge left in the game, then I'm afraid the camera isn't conducive to trying. I don't give a damn about video game achievements anymore so there.

Have you played it on a higher difficulty?

Also, length of game is not and should not be equivalent to cost.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By TangoUp

@hailinel said:

Which is why I mentioned Vanquish and COD4. They are admittedly short, but the experience through the campaign is varied enough both in terms of gameplay, environments and setpieces that it feels like a complete game and one you feel like replaying. This adds to the life of the game.

Revengeance has none of these things. I've already finished it twice within 4 days in a few short sessions skipping cutscenes and all codecs the second time around. And that's from someone who never skips cutscenes.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By TangoUp

@hailinel said:

Which is why I mentioned Vanquish and COD4. They are admittedly short, but the experience through the campaign is varied enough in terms of gameplay, environments and setpieces that it feels like a complete game and one you feel like replaying. This adds to the life of the game.

Revengeance has none of these things. I've already finished it twice within 4 days in a few short sessions skipping cutscenes and all codecs the second time around. And that's from someone who never skips cutscenes.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#121  Edited By Hailinel

@tangoup said:

@hailinel said:

Which is why I mentioned Vanquish and COD4. They are admittedly short, but the experience through the campaign is varied enough in terms of gameplay, environments and setpieces that it feels like a complete game and one you feel like replaying. This adds to the life of the game.

I'll ask again, did you play on higher difficulties?

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@tangoup said:

@hailinel said:

I'll ask again, did you play on higher difficulties?

Yes.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I'm having a ton of fun with this game so far. Granted, I just started half an hour or so ago and I'm still trying to get a handle on the controls, but this is a pretty sweet game! Takes me back to Ninja Gaiden Black, although not nearly as hard and the controls aren't quite as tight as Gaiden.

I think 4 to 5 hours is just fine for this sort of game. It feels like it's going to have a lot of replayability, and let's face it, five hours is about the average for action games these days anyway. I'm looking forward to unlocking some stuff, especially some new costumes, so I can definitely see myself finishing the story quickly and then coming back for more to unlock some things.

That all having been said, a quick disclaimer...I haven't really played a Metal Gear game since Metal Gear Solid 2. I tried to play MGSIV when it first came out, but at that point I realized I didn't know what the hell was going on with all of the characters and I gave up. I fully admit that I don't know ANYTHING about what is going on in the Metal Gear universe or what the heck the story in this game is even about. It really doesn't matter to me though, I still like slicing up robots and stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.