Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 13, 2001

The follow-up to the 1998 blockbuster, Metal Gear Solid 2 blends tactical stealth and action. This sequel takes the action to an offshore oil cleanup facility seized by terrorists who are holding the President hostage. It helped sell the PS2, featuring advanced AI, physics and cover mechanics for its time, and one of the first postmodern narratives in gaming.

Underrated *spoilers*

Avatar image for twistedlogic149
    twistedlogic149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By twistedlogic149

I heard a lot of pissing and moaning over this game, mostly because of Raidengate, but let's be serious for a second...

Kojima pulled a huge one over on us when he "killed" Snake off during the first hour and a half of gameplay. it shocked everyone, and we all thought Snake might've actually been dead. We start playing as Raiden... yeah, okay, he might be a pansy, but the gameplay was still an [b]awesome[/b] upgrade from MGS1. The storyline was deep without being too drawn out and convoluted *cough*MGS4*cough*, and Dead Cell provided some of the coolest Boss Fights I have ever seen in my life. Fatman is still, to this day, one of my favorite video game bosses in history. The ending was incredible, the writing was superb, and it wasn't overloaded with cheesy moments. Very underrated, IMO.
    DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DarkLegend

I think this is the best of the series. It is very underrated probably due to using Raiden.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By brukaoru

I love MGS2. Too many people hate Raiden, but I always thought he was unique and cool. I would disagree with you about the bosses, though, I think MGS had better bosses for sure.

Avatar image for twistedlogic149
    twistedlogic149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By twistedlogic149

Hmmm... I'll give you Sniper Wolf and Vulcan Raven being awesome boss fights... but come on, you have to love the first fight with Vamp, the innovative fight with Fatman, and of course the Ninja battle with Solidus.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By brukaoru
    twistedlogic149 said:
    "Hmmm... I'll give you Sniper Wolf and Vulcan Raven being awesome boss fights... but come on, you have to love the first fight with Vamp, the innovative fight with Fatman, and of course the Ninja battle with Solidus."
    Hmm... Are you talking about the battles only or the bosses as characters themselves? As boss fights, I thought they were great, but in terms of characters, I thought the bosses of the first game had much better, unique personalities.
    AutomaticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By AutomaticSnake

It was a great game, but i gotta take some points off from it cuz of the big shell part not being as cool as the tanker part and the complicated story. Maybe the story didn't really fit in well cuz konami had to edit some cut scenes out after the sep 11 attacks...

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

I totally love this game and in my opinion, I honestly believe this is the best game in the franchise. Before MGS4 came out, I played the previous games again and MGS2 really stood out as the best.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By samcotts

I love MGS2, and I agree with most of what you have said. But for me, the boss battles were the only downside, they were the worst in the whole MGS series in my opinion, but that doesn't mean they were bad at all, just not as enjoyable as other MGS bosses.

Still one of my all time favourite games.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I love MGS2 as well, but Raiden is still a pansy.

JuMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By JuMP
    brukaoru said:
    "twistedlogic149 said:
    "Hmmm... I'll give you Sniper Wolf and Vulcan Raven being awesome boss fights... but come on, you have to love the first fight with Vamp, the innovative fight with Fatman, and of course the Ninja battle with Solidus."
    Hmm... Are you talking about the battles only or the bosses as characters themselves? As boss fights, I thought they were great, but in terms of characters, I thought the bosses of the first game had much better, unique personalities.
    "
    I wonder if that was on purpose though, cause the whole of the Plant chapter of the game was supposed to be a staged recreation of Shadow Moses by the Patriots. Dead Cell in MGS 2 were the replacements for FOXHOUND in MGS 1.
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By fr0br0

My favorite in the series as well. I also find it weird that people say this story is so out there when compared to the other's, this is probably the most down to Earth story in the series. The whole concept of the game revolves around censorship. Not clones. Not bipedal nuke launchers. Not nanomachines. Just good ol' fashioned politics.

And people need to get over the Raiden hate. He was the most well progressed character in the whole series.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By lord_canti

personly i loved it i think  it was the best one excludeing mgs4 i played this one more than 3 and 1 combined aswell as the msx games

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By brukaoru
    JuMP said:
    "I wonder if that was on purpose though, cause the whole of the Plant chapter of the game was supposed to be a staged recreation of Shadow Moses by the Patriots. Dead Cell in MGS 2 were the replacements for FOXHOUND in MGS 1. "
    Right... But even so, I think their personalities could have been better. They weren't terrible though... Just not the best in the series, in my opinion.

Fr0Br0 said:
    "The whole concept of the game revolves around censorship."
    Exactly. There's a huge storyline behind what is presented in the game itself. It's really amazing just how in depth it is. The whole censorship plot really relates to real life and that's one of the reasons why I think it's so appealing.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Demilich

MGS2 is the game that immortalized Snake as the greatest Hero of Video Games. It wouldn't have been possible without Raiden.

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By calf_exercises

This was the first MGS game for me, i went on to play 3 and 4 this year. I remember enjoying the CRAP out of this game. I personally didnt have a problem with raiden.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Demilich

Tell me you've gone back to play 1? Even now it's an incredible game.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By BoG

I loved MGS2. I played MGS2 again in preparation for 4, and I couldn't remember what made me not like Raiden in the first place. The game is a blast to play on the harder difficulties, and I loved getting dog tags.
    Honestly, I think it is just as good as MGS4. 1 and 3 are still on top, however.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c6d2500d559
    deactivated-60c6d2500d559

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I literally just finished this game about an hour ago.  Outside of playing the original Metal Gear for about an hour 19 years ago, this was my first MGS experience.

I've heard all of the spoilers for MGS4 (it's what got me interested in going back to the beginning).  I would of played just MGS, but I don't have a PS1 memory card to save the game....

Anyways, here I am, fresh off of playing this for the very first time and I have to say, it's a pretty good game.  The action in it is fun (though gets a bit monotonous)... but I'm sooo f'n confused on what the hell is going on, story-wise.  I found myself skipping some of the cut-scenes and codec conversations (The Otacon/E.E. storyline was a bore.) The constant back-and-forth of agent/double-agent/double-double-agent was...well, irksome.  And the whole clone/possession thing...... no thanks.  In all, the storyline was just too much, too corny at times.  I found myself saying several times "Oh come on", was was preceeded with a heavy sigh and some eye-rolling.

So with that,...the gameplay was great.  The whole "Metal Gear" hype seems kinda lost on me still.  Maybe that's why even though this game was released in 2001, it took me to August of 2008 to attempt to play it....

badsmalltalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By badsmalltalker

It's not a very good thing to say on the MGS2 boards that you skipped cut-scenes on your first play through.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c6d2500d559
    deactivated-60c6d2500d559

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cmpLtNOOb said:
    "It's not a very good thing to say on the MGS2 boards that you skipped cut-scenes on your first play through."
    Sweet...if skipping through "a few" cut scenes will bother some fan-boys, then I'm going to continue to skip through more cut scenes and codecs.  Thanks for the heads up....
    Splitterguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 78

#21  Edited By Splitterguy

After playing and failing through the fatman fight about 6 billion times, I have to disagree.  It was my least favorite boss.

Old_Snake864

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By Old_Snake864

i actually think this is the best in the series and raiden is a very cool character is story in mgs2 was incredible this is like my favourite game of all time =)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played MGS1 and MGS2, in order. I wasn't really disappointed at all in MGS2. It was a great game. Raiden never bothered me. I kinda liked relying on Snake for help throughout the game - made him seem more like a hero. As far as boss battles, none of them compare to MGS1. MGS1 I can probably recall every boss battle. This game, they weren't as memorable. And the characters of the bosses weren't as interesting. They weren't bad though. Storyline was definitely way more convoluted than the first game. But I still understood the main points. I'll have to play MGS3+4 yet to see how the entire story plays into the rest.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By AndrewGaspar

MGS2 is my favorite as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game almost made me give up on Metal Gear.
    Thank Gawd for Snake Eater. Raiden sucks a big one. The Big Shell was a terrible setting. And it wasn't that I didn't understand the story, it was just stupid at points. Even with MGS4 explaining almost everything, I still don't get how Liquid's arm controlled Ocelot in MGS2, they told us how they're connected in MGS4, but still no explanation why it works in MGS2.
    This game was Kojima's big fuck you to the fans and I'm still amazed at the people who lap it up.
    The worst thing is that it isn't a bad game per say, but it pales compared to the rest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.