Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 13, 2001

The follow-up to the 1998 blockbuster, Metal Gear Solid 2 blends tactical stealth and action. This sequel takes the action to an offshore oil cleanup facility seized by terrorists who are holding the President hostage. It helped sell the PS2, featuring advanced AI, physics and cover mechanics for its time, and one of the first postmodern narratives in gaming.

What boss is Drew going to have the most trouble with?

• 133 results
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

Personally, I think the first Vamp fight is going to be "the one" that gives him the most trouble. Although I can't wait to see his reaction when he realizes he has to fight MULTIPLE Metal Gear Ray's should be a fun video series!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I'm going to guess Fat Man, because fuck that rollerskating chucklecock.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By emfromthesea

Going by my own experience, I'll say Fortune. I can't remember why, but I had a lot of trouble with her.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Solidus, cause those controls, whoah, i guarantee he'll struggle with them.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I can't remember having any difficulty with the MGS2 bosses, but it was at a point in my life where MGS2 was my game for months and months. I spent so much time playing it, I can only remember flying through it without a problem. Mechanically, though, I think Drew is going to struggle with Vamp, since I don't remember how clearly the game points out the bit about the shadow-stabbing. It's pretty impressive how the games incorporate technical aspects like that into gameplay.

MikeW1980UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Judging from previous experience, all of them.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fatman because it requires you to juggle fighting and disarming the bombs.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@sunbrozak: Fortune is not suppose to be a winnable boss battle. She has a small health bar and only gets damage when her Rail Gun discharges after firing. She also has a shield that blocks bullets. You have to move around until the Vamp shows up.

If they pick a difficulty higher that Normal, the boss battles will be grueling. Fat Man because of the timer and if you are too aggressive. He will place more C4 where you can't see it immediately. First battle with Vamp. Limited space to avoid falling in the pool and that thing involving the lights. Fighting multiple Metal Gear Rays will be exhausting. Hopefully Drew will have mastered roll diving to avoid incoming fire.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RonGalaxy

All of them.

Hardest one will probably end up being the fatman fight or the metal gear ray fight. He'll probably also have trouble when raiden is naked and has to sneak past dudes.

Edit: scratch the metal gear ray one. He'll definitely play it on normal and it isn't that bad on normal. I'll substitute that one with the solidus fight at the end. That one can be a pain in the ass the first time.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either Olga or the RAY fight at the end. Olga because it's early and you're limited to a small area while she's running around hiding behind things and lobbing grenades. You don't have a lot of options with that one; just gotta be patient, use the cover and make use of those opportunities. The RAY fight is more just endurance because actually destroying one of those things isn't too hard, but doing it twelve times in a row while avoiding getting killed by the others is tricky and gruelling!

schlorgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The really long cutscene of Otacon crying over his sister. That's always the hardest part for me. ;p

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By probablytuna

Fatman would probably be the most annoying out of all of them.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schlorgan: E. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@sunbrozak: Agreed, it has been awhile but she had some sort of trick that took me awhile to figure out (thinking now, I don't remember what it was). But I guess that could be said for most Metal Gear bosses :P

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By Sarumarine

Hard to say. If I had to measure it in terms of most deaths, I'd say the Solidus one is probably a strong contender. Fighting with the sword is pretty awkward. I usually just go hand-to-hand. I just hope he accidentally figures out you can cartwheel into him when he's rocketing around and knock him down. That's always my favorite part of the fight.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By csl316

Fatman, just watched my friend play it for the first time and that one's still stressful.

The Rays can be challenging til you figure out some tricks. Fatman is just... that timer is gonna give Drew a panic attack. Not to mention trying to control yourself to get a proper angle with the coolant. We're looking at a 3 hour episode, people.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By kishinfoulux

LAUGH...

...AND GROW FAT!!!

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Superkenon

For me, no boss in the game compared to the giant slog of fighting all the RAYs. I might've been worse off than I should've been on account of having like, 0-1 rations going into that, but it still seemed like the most long and demanding battle in the game.

Other than that, maybe Fatman?

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Solidus. He had trouble with Liquid. It'll be hell for him.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he uses claymores on fatmat, he won't have any trouble. I think Vamp will pose more of a problem. It was always my most hated boss fight. Until I discovered how to cheese it. :D

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

People bring up a good point. Unless you know the leg-face combo on the RAY fight, which you probably won't figure out on your first time through, I can see that being a hassle.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow was Fatman really that much of a problem for people? I never remember having a problem with him. Sure the bombs are an extra layer but I never found that stressful. Even playing back through it last year the fight I had the most problems with was Vamp.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

As I recall the boss fights can be a bit unfair, since you will nearly always die the first try, because the bosses all have abilities that are unexpected and somewhat unfair. The bosses themselves are probably far easier to do than some of the boss fights in MGS, but you have those moments of "Come on!!! They can do 'that'?"

Also, MSG 2 has a non-sense story. However, Drew is expecting non-sense, so it will probably bother him less to be confronted with plot holes and contrived plot devices. He has no expectation of MGS having a good story or adhering to any form of logic.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

As far as I remember the Bosses weren't even that hard, but I suspect the sequence after Raiden gets captured and you have to wait for the Snake to get your clothes for you will give him some trouble.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
    deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say Fatman that was the one that gave me some trouble the first time.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

Olga, since he'll have to have wrapped his head around the controls and first-person aiming early on.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played for the first time after they started the Metal Gear Scanlon, and the one I had the most trouble with was RAY, most of the bosses are easy in that game though.

For Drew though, I suspect he will have trouble with Solidus, due to his dislike of the Cyborg Ninja fight and the Liquid Snake fist-fight.

PollySMPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I'm just remembering my Hard/Extreme mode playthrough, but I remember the Harrier fight being a goddamn nightmare sticking point for me for a bit. The damage some of those attacks do and how hard it was to avoid some of them was nuts for me.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

I find Fatman to be really easy. The Metal Gear Ray fight at the end is the one that requires you to be an ace with the controls.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Judging by this thread.. all of them?

AthleticShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disarming and freezing the bombs. That whole thing is what prevents me from going back

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played MGS2 for the first time when the HD Collection came out, and had the most trouble with that army of RAYs.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only boss I ever had real trouble on was Vamp, until I realised you can just spam stingers at him, and the RAYs, but that was just endurance rather than anything hard. I found Fatman super easy, I could even beat him as a dumb kid who had to stop playing the game as I found it too hard. Solidus wasn't that bad either.

Xel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most likely Vamp and Solidus. The other bosses are pretty straightforward, even Fatman isn't too difficult since Drew will have already had practice in disarming the bombs.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xel said:

Most likely Vamp and Solidus. The other bosses are pretty straightforward, even Fatman isn't too difficult since Drew will have already had practice in disarming the bombs.

Yep, Vamp is like Grey Fox (which I think got the highest kill count) and Solidus is like Liquid only more difficult. (in my opinion) The game prepares you pretty well for Fatman and he's kind of pathetic once you get the 'three to the chest, one to the head' strat down.

I dont think the Rays will be a problem, the stinger works the same as did in the original and the Rays are nowhere near as formidable as Rex. I dont think you're forced to kill that many on normal either.

Personally I think MGS2 is a much easier game than the original, mostly due to better controls.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Not a poll?

IIRC first Vamp fight was the toughest for me so I'll agree with you there.

meissnerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naked Raiden actually gave me the most trouble ahead of any of the bosses, even Ray. It was so disorienting the first time on top of having nothing to equip.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By musubi

Not a poll?

IIRC first Vamp fight was the toughest for me so I'll agree with you there.

I actually tried to make a poll and then got an error upon trying to submit it. So, just decided to make a topic.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Probably all of them really

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Isn't there one where you have to fight hella Rays? I bet it'll be that one, even though I don't remember having much trouble with it. Then again, I think I played on Easy, so, I dunno.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Easily the Metal Gear Ray one only cause there's a crazy bat shiz trick to beating them. Had to go to gamefaqs back in the day to figure out how "to beat" them.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mrfluke

probably all of them really

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say Solidus, because it's the closets to a Melee fight and he seemed to have a lot of trouble with them. The Rays are fairly simple compared to Rex (At least, on normal difficulty)

Fatman might be a pain too because of skates.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only boss that gave me trouble in 2 was the fight against like a billion Metal Gears. That one gave me a lot of trouble though. It was one of those times where I found the boss fight so difficult, that it made me wonder if I was supposed to lose or if there was some other trick to it. Took me like 7 tries.

Fatman, Helicopter, and Solidus are challenging but not too tough, and all the other bosses are kind of a cakewalk.

shooby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By shooby

Gonna go with Fatman as well because of the skates and the bomb freezing. But then, this is Metal Gear Scanlon, so more than likely all of them.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My money is on the part where Raiden is naked.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, no boss in the game compared to the giant slog of fighting all the RAYs. I might've been worse off than I should've been on account of having like, 0-1 rations going into that, but it still seemed like the most long and demanding battle in the game.

The hardest thing I ever faced in that game was when Solidus strangles you on top of arsenal gear after that fight on Extreme and up. The speed you have to tap triangle is inhuman, and the time you have to do it is longer than the other difficulties, which made it nigh-on impossible for me to do.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Honestly, I think the bosses are consistently harder than the first game, so all of them? Though if his troubles were because he couldn't adapt to bad controls in the first game, then maybe it won't be as bad.

I bet the corridor with swordmen, ray fight and solidus are gonna be pretty dumb though.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Judging by this thread.. all of them?

Ha, my thoughts too. First four comments, four different bosses.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By musubi

@superkenon said:

The hardest thing I ever faced in that game was when Solidus strangles you on top of arsenal gear after that fight on Extreme and up. The speed you have to tap triangle is inhuman, and the time you have to do it is longer than the other difficulties, which made it nigh-on impossible for me to do.

For all the "tapping" things that you are required to do in the metal gear games I always took a pencil or a pen and then slid that back and forth across the buttons as fast as I could. It actually works really well because like you said the extreme difficulty version of that and the torture scene in MGS 1 are damn near impossible just doing it normally.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.