Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Apr 29, 2010

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is the latest portable entry in the Metal Gear franchise, and the second canonical Metal Gear title produced for the PSP. Set in Costa Rica, Peace Walker puts you in control of Big Boss once again as he prepares the rise of Outer Heaven.

What happened to all the product placement in Peace Walker?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By MooseyMcMan

So, I've been playing Peace Walker quite a bit since I bought it yesterday (and I love it!), and I've noticed something. All of the products that were going to be in the game (like Doritos and Mountain Dew) have been replaced with generic items like "Tortilla Chips" and "Lime Soda". My question is, why was this stuff left out of the US version? 

I realize that most people don't think kindly of product placement in games, but I think it's funny. I'd rather be sneaking through the woods with Doritos and Dew than with generic chips and off-brand soda.  

But at least the items are still in the game, meaning that the only actual difference is a cosmetic one. But still, wouldn't you think that Doritos and Dew would be targeted more at the US than Japan (I've read that the product placement is still in that version). Unless they realize that US gamers are already consuming enough of that, and they want to boost sales in Japan. 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MooseyMcMan

So, I've been playing Peace Walker quite a bit since I bought it yesterday (and I love it!), and I've noticed something. All of the products that were going to be in the game (like Doritos and Mountain Dew) have been replaced with generic items like "Tortilla Chips" and "Lime Soda". My question is, why was this stuff left out of the US version? 

I realize that most people don't think kindly of product placement in games, but I think it's funny. I'd rather be sneaking through the woods with Doritos and Dew than with generic chips and off-brand soda.  

But at least the items are still in the game, meaning that the only actual difference is a cosmetic one. But still, wouldn't you think that Doritos and Dew would be targeted more at the US than Japan (I've read that the product placement is still in that version). Unless they realize that US gamers are already consuming enough of that, and they want to boost sales in Japan. 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

It's in there, just play more.  To get most the unlocks you need to do certain stuff.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @KaosAngel said:
    " It's in there, just play more.  To get most the unlocks you need to do certain stuff. "
    Really? Huh. I guess I should have played more before mouthing off online.
    SmotPoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SmotPoker

It isn't in the US/EUR releases (even the magazine names have changed), not that I'm complaining.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KaosAngel
    @SmotPoker said:
    " It isn't in the US/EUR releases (even the magazine names have changed), not that I'm complaining. "
    Man, that sucks.  At least you guys get the better voice acting.  :\

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.