Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

MGO Getting a November Patch

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Skyrider

So based on forum activity I'm going to assume that not a whole lot duders are knee deep in MGO, but I figured I'd share MGO's recently released patch notes for the November update.

November Update Notice:

Please see below for the complete list of adjustments planned for the MGO update scheduled for November.

[Auto-matching]

- You will now be matched with players of similar level to your highest character level.

- It is now less likely to join a host with poor network connection.

[Mission Adjustments]

- The game will now end once all teammates are stunned or tranquilized in CLOAK AND DAGGER.

[Loadout/Equipment Adjustments]

- The "E.LOCATOR" will now only available for the Scout class.

- Machines guns and launchers will now only be available for the Enforcer class.

- Shotguns will now only available for the Infiltrator class.

* As a result of these changes, custom loadouts will be initialized during the maintenance period following the update patch.

[Character Ability Adjustments]

- Overall movement speed will be increased.

- Mobility has been re-balanced to allow faster travelling between objectives.

- Infiltrators will have health and stamina decreased.

- Enforcers will have health and stamina increased.

- Scouts will have health increased.

- Scouts will be able to mark targets more quickly while using binoculars.

[Weapon Adjustments]

- Firing sway for Machine Guns will be reduced.

- Weapon sway will be reduced overall when aiming in first-person view.

- Damage inflicted by the Walker Gear's Gatling gun will be reduced.

- Walker Gears and Anti-Aircraft will now take more damage from certain weapons.

- Weapon damage of certain weapons are being adjusted for better balance.

- Damage value on the ISANDO RGL-220" will be significantly reduced.

- Reduced ammo count on "ISANDO RGL-220" .

- Max carry for "E.LOCATOR,""STUN GRENADE," and "SLEEP GRENADE" will be reduced.

- The throwing arch of the Empty Magazine will be invisible to enemies.

- The noise radius made by Empty Magazines when they land will be expanded.

[Item Adjustments]

- Max carry amount of "C.BOX" will be increased.

[Stealth Camo (STEALTH CAMO.PP) adjustments while using the STEALTH CAMO+ Ability]

- Stealth camo will be temporarily disabled when taking damage.

- Battery life will be reduced, and battery will take longer to charge.

- Marking time for cloaked players will be reduced.

- Cloaked players detected with NVG will be marked in standard marking time.

[CQC Adjustments]

- Range for CQC grabs will be narrowed.

- Icon for CQC grabs will no longer be displayed.

- Non-lethal damage done by CQC hits and grabs will be reduced.

- 1-hit CQC knock-outs will become exclusive to Infiltrators with "CQC STEALTH+" Lv.2 or higher.

[Fulton Adjustments]

- Fulton speed when using "FULTON+" Lv.2 or greater will be slowed.

- When a player fultons an enemy, the fulton balloon and the enemy will be invincible to other teammates.

[Buddy System Adjustments]

- Time required to establish a buddy link using the link action will be shortened.

- Link action will succeed regardless of the direction your character is facing, as long as you are in range.

- The buddy gauge will now clear at the beginning of each round.

[Other Adjustments]

- Search filters in "SELECT MATCH" will be now saved.

- Countdown time on the Spawn screen has been extended from 10 seconds to 15 seconds.

Please note that the patch is still a work in progress, and some adjustments may differ in the final update. Details regarding the final changes will be announced once the patch is released.

Regarding issues not addressed above, we are constantly monitoring user feedback and will continue to make changes and adjustments moving forward. Thank you very much for your continued support of MGO.

As an avid player, these changes can't come soon enough and it's great to see the devs have recognized most of the major issues that players have run into (although they haven't said outright that they'll add host migration, so that will likely still be an issue). Obviously we'll have to wait to see if these changes will actually have a tangible effect on the current meta, but I'm optimistic.

Hopefully a lot of the class changes help them feel as distinct as they were originally intended to be, as I think that will go a long way to set MGO apart from other multiplayer shooters.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By hatking

I wonder if they'll unfuck the FOB stuff. Last night I checked in after a week or two away to discover that I don't have access to most of my own resources. I needed some money to upgrade a FOB and as I went to sell some surplus plants I discovered they've been made inaccessible.

It's such a bullshit move they pulled gimping the player and incentivising the shit out of their insurance after all the glowing reviews hit. Leaves a real bitter taste in my mouth on a game that I previously enjoyed. A damn shame it'll go on to get a bunch of GOTY awards with this shit unnoticed.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: The MGO team doesn't handle FOBs, so who knows. I haven't touched the single player stuff since MGO launched, but what I hear about the FOB changes makes me wonder if they're exactly they're going for, or what team (if there even is a full team) is handling it to begin with.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

- FOB invaders now have the ability to steal your MGS V digital game license or your MGS V game disc. You can protect yourself from this feature with insurance for the cost of $59.99 per month.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I have not since launch got why people are making such a fuss over the FOB stuff. Y'all are caring about it way to hard.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SaFt

Nice with some much needed balancing changes, but even faster running speed? The game already feels like a rush fest as it is and now it'll be even faster. I don't know about that.

EDIT: "When a player fultons an enemy, the fulton balloon and the enemy will be invincible to other teammates."

Thank god.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By hatking

@demoskinos: Because at launch it didn't impact the single player game very much unless you went out and invaded a whole bunch of people who then successfully invaded you in return, even then the limit of damage they could do wasn't too bad. Now, most of your shit is stored online. That means, if one person successfully hits you in the right spot, you can go into the red. And, since most of your shit is now stored on the FOB side, you don't even have the ability to sell it in an emergency situation when you need coin.

You could now get yourself into a situation where you do not have enough money to deploy on mission and do not have enough resources to sell to make that money. My one hope is that Drew gets hit hard with this shit so that they notice it and actually have something to say about this dirty experience Konami is fostering.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@skyrider said:

- When a player fultons an enemy, the fulton balloon and the enemy will be invincible to other teammates.

Thank you! The amount of idiots who cost teams matches because they want one extra kill for themselves is very annoying

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Wow rip every class but scout if you want points. E. Locator is 8k-10k points by itself in a 30 minute round. Guess its time to delete one of my characters and make a scout.

Infiltrators are already paper and Enforcers already have too much health so that's pretty bad.

Actually I guess if scouts have no way to get more and you only have 2 locators it could be a good change, but if they can carry 4 its just all scouts all day. Can still carry fucking 15 grenades/molotovs with Infiltrator, removing the locators isn't going to help the grenade spam.

Suppose I should bother using my Hail loadout before they remove it from the game.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Enforcers have too much health and infiltrators have too little? Even the dev's admit there is basically no appreciable difference in the class' respective health pools.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Some of those changes are pretty big.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@skyrider: In a shooter the difference between 100 and 120 health is massive, if they make it like 80 vs 150 or something that's just totally insane.

Frequently enforcers take about 3 or 4 more shots from a Macht than an Infiltrator does; that's ridiculous already.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: I'd agree that nearly double the health pool could prove to be pretty shitty, but there should still be a noticeable difference (which is not there, currently). There's nothing setting Infiltrators apart as the class for the supposedly "advanced" players, since in a straight gunfight they fair no worse than the other classes. Right now it's like dead in 4 shots vs dead in 5, which is nothing considering the current meta of AM-MRS w/ muzzlegrip combo essentially gives everyone a lazer rifle. If the "tankie" class can easily be outgunned by the supposed "stealthy, low health" class in a firefight, why would anyone pick Enforcer when you can basically play an invisible enforcer? I mean until the patch launches, Infiltrators unlock the Enforcer's best LMG, in addition to a grenade launcher. If increasing the difference in health pools makes MGO less of a standard shooter, I welcome it. It could well make the Infiltrator go from being the easiest class to play, to the most difficult, which would actually be in line with how they described the class.

LisaTiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Some pretty big changes and it's good to see they are reducing the cloaking time, I only played it for a few hours but felt it needed a lot more balancing. It was fun back on the PS3 so I had higher expectations for this version, it helps when you are playing with a team who are playing properly but even then the online doesn't feel that busy. Maybe with the patch I'll go back and give it another try, a few new maps would be a nice addition too.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@skyrider: MGO is not a standard shooter, though inflating health pools isn't going to change that for the better. The game is all about map knowledge, avoidance and getting the right angles because you will always lose or draw even in a gunfight to anyone paying attention with a modicum of skill; I guess they just want to reinforce that notion but it's not going to work. 4 vs 5 shots is huge, that's basically a 20% increase in life expectancy; if it was like 10 vs 11 I could see that being seen as too little.

The "meta," to use a god awful term, right now is locators if you want points, kills are pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things; I've gone 70-20 and lost to a guy that went 40-40 before; and I've gone 20-10 numerous times and lead score by 3000-5000 (granted I pretty much always have the most objective captures due to general awareness).

Enforcers typically live through grenades more often, are stunned less frequently, and take less damage from all sources; that's a tanky class in a nutshell. I believe the best build in the game right now is sleep grenade launcher + assault rifle or LMG depending on your preference, no build can get more points via stuns/kills and of course marks from locators. Only enforcers get it. Tactical 3 might be superior in theory but is hard to play since it has a different grenade arc from every other build in the game and is frequently about blind judgments.

Shooting is very seldom what dictates a match or the scoreboard.

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Skyrider

@fredchuckdave: I agree that shooting shouldn't be what dictates a match or scoreboard, but unless your auto-match experience has been way different than mine, it is what the average player seems to fixate on. In custom matches, where scores in excess of 6-7k are actually feasible, people tend to play differently, likely because they're seeking an experience you don't normally find in the auto-matches (at least for Bounty Hunter). Enforcers can take more stun and explosion damage, but that's if they take the tank+ skills, which don't affect bullet damage (of which there seems to be no appreciable difference). I guess I'm of the opinion that a shootout, all things even, shouldnt be a loss/draw regardless of class even if the moment to moment shootouts are not what dictate the outcome of a match, because I feel they do strongly influence how a large portion (seemingly the majority) of the player base behaves in the typical match (and I say typical because of how few custom matches I find when searching for them). Yes, a change in health pools might not have the intended effect in the custom matches, but I think it could have a strong effect on how the average player approaches the game.

Granted, I am coming at this from a perspective biased towards Bounty Hunter mode. I have no idea what effect this will have on Cloak and Dagger or Comm Control, if any at all.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By IamTerics

I'm not super hardcore into MGO but I like almost all of these changes.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bushpusherr

All of these seem like smart changes, especially considering that the scout is probably my favorite to play but most matches it has just been untenable because the enemy team is 5/6 infiltrators that just sprint nonstop. The "lose camo when you take damage" is very welcome. (I pretty much exclusively play Bounty Hunter so I'm sure things change a bit between game types)

The only glaring omission here is still the lack of host migration. That is super important especially considering you lose all of your progress if you don't finish the match.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Hm...I dunno about some of these changes. I really like using the E Locators as a not Scout. HM....

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

REALLY could've used a beta here Konami!

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By GTCknight

I stopped playing MGO3 last week, because its the first mp game I have ever played that made me contemplate burning my apartment down in pure unadulterated rage.

I play Infiltrator and I only use a tranq plus Fulton cannons for traps. Its an absolute nightmare. Players are to spawn on their buddy even when THEY ARE UNCONSCIOUS!! The number of times I worked my ass off sneaking around and finding a guy that safely knockout only to die as I'm fultoning, because that guy's teammate fucking spawned on him makes me more angry at a videogame than I have ever been in my life. The insane concept of non-lethal recovery invincibility-frames. This means that anyone recovering from a non-lethal attack from an enemy cannot do anything else non-lethal to you while you recover, meanwhile you can just do whatever floats your boat to them. As for the cloak that everyone rages about I have some news for you, it sucks. I have seen infiltrators using the cloak and I've been spotted from insane distances. All because they went with the dumb predator shimmer instead of making an actually good reliable cloak. Oh, and before anyone wants to complain about about how that wouldn't be fair keep in mind the other two classes each have abilities designed to counter the damned cloak. The only use it really had was that it enabled sneaky players a way to avoid getting marked by scouts and now it'll be entirely useless.

As for Cloak and Dagger, good luck being on the attacking team now. The only sure fire way to win as the attackers before was to use the wormhole after getting the disk, because otherwise the enemy team would bum-rush both of your upload stations.

I should also point out that most sprinting cqc is done in order to prevent an enemy from sprinting away. Because, standard movement speed could never hope to get there in time or keep up; plus the fact that most players are ALWAYS sprinting.

Personally, I think most of these changes are good (like how the weapons available are going to depend on your class), but nerfing one class into the ground and buffing the ever loving shit out of the other two is fucking terrible.

In the end, I can now at last put MGSV on my shelf where it shall remain until the next gen consoles arrive.

Edit: I might (I must emphasize the word might) be exaggerating the burning down my home thing, but it does make me insanely angry and filled with rage every time I do a single match.

I also forgot about the dumb as all fucking hell idea that firing mortars at your teammates doesn't end up killing them, but instead gives them a perfect defense against any non-lethal attackers.

Another edit: I forgot to state that I'm fine with the cloak being temporarily going out when shot. Its everything else about it that I'm talking about.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds good on paper at least. Infiltrators are way to good as it stands now and I always thought it was dumb that every class had almost every weapon once you level up high enough.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ability to sell stuff stored on fobs is a big one.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: The team working on MGO3 (formerly designated "Kojima Productions L.A.") is not the as the team in charge of single player and F.O.B. (formerly "Kojima Productions").

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@skyrider: Here's a bit more detailed discussion of balance and other crap, featuring many meandering topics; I forgot to mention the number 1 and number 5 player (who's probably the best player) both play Enforcers predominantly:

Loading Video...

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni said:

@hatking: The team working on MGO3 (formerly designated "Kojima Productions L.A.") is not the as the team in charge of single player and F.O.B. (formerly "Kojima Productions").

Now that they were closed who is supposedly doing this patch?

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Probably the same people that where doing the patch before they closed. Who knows what goes down behind that companys public statements.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.