Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

Sniper Wolf and Quiet?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Metal Gear Scanlon reminded me that Sniper Wolf talked about being taken in by Big Boss. Do you think Phantom Pain is going to show this at all (thus having 2 sniper characters since they also have Quiet), or is it just assumed that it would've happened after the events of Phantom Pain in the 80s? I'm not all that familiar with how old Sniper Wolf is meant to be in MGS1.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

They definitely have room to show it. I mean hell, what is a timeline to Kojima? An hour into the game the time could advance to 2205 and the rest of Phantom Pain could play out in the far flung future for all we know. All this 1984 business could be an elaborate ruse. Thats what so amazing about Metal Gear games, you really have no idea what to expect.

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Well, from what I can find on the Metal Gear wiki (not the most reliable source, but it's something), she was born c. 1976. That would make her a few years younger than Snake and Liquid, and she was already a sniper when she met Big Boss. Not that this fact implies much of anything about her age, since child soldiers are pretty common in MGS.

I was hoping that she would come back too, but I'd wager that it's still too early in the timeline to be realistic.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Probably. It almost sounds as if Phantom Pain will essentially be the reverse of MGS4, in that instead of finishing every character ever's arc, they'll be showing you the origins of every character ever. Psycho Mantis and Liquid are already heavily inferred to be starring in it after all. I kinda hope it doesn't go that route, though unlike MGS4 Phantom Pain as a game looks to be fucking huge, so hopefully it'll have a little more breathing room for dealing with so many characters.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

There's a lot that they could show regarding that period of time that they may or may not depict. But yeah, I wouldn't put it past Kojima to throw us curveballs.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@hailinel said:

There's a lot that they could show regarding that period of time that they may or may not depict. But yeah, I wouldn't put it past Kojima to throw us curveballs.

Quiet get hits by a youth ray, gets amnesia, and is then brainwashed to think she grew up as a Kurd in a war-torn area. Retains sniper skills.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sniper Wolf might be in it. But she might not also show up in the time line until later on. I was thinking when I saw the wolf puppy it would have something to do with her and also because Quiet is a sniper maybe Quiet trains her, but since Kojima has said that both of those characters can die in the game and that isn't a fail state, it's hard to see them fitting into Sniper Wolfs character arc.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shindig

"Cor blimey, I've been captured by Iraqis, I have!"

No more Liquid, please. Its bad enough the game has him in the SAS but an SAS operative that got captured? Pffftt.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: Well, his SAS background had been known since MGS1. And he's an interesting character, despite the ridiculous (and later retconned) notion of his arm taking over Ocelot's mind.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Corevi
    @jesus_phish said:

Sniper Wolf might be in it. But she might not also show up in the time line until later on. I was thinking when I saw the wolf puppy it would have something to do with her and also because Quiet is a sniper maybe Quiet trains her, but since Kojima has said that both of those characters can die in the game and that isn't a fail state, it's hard to see them fitting into Sniper Wolfs character arc.

Maybe you can only recruit certain soldiers or do certain Extra Ops if you still have those assist characters alive?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Given how referential this series is, I'd be more surprised if it wasn't in there. I mean, it'd take something ridiculous like the game not really being about Big Boss for that to happen.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@shindig: Well, his SAS background had been known since MGS1. And he's an interesting character, despite the ridiculous (and later retconned) notion of his arm taking over Ocelot's mind.

I'm confused about that, I mean the retcon not the whole mind swap thing, I assumed it was known during release they used nano machines to copy liquids brainwaves on Ocelot or some such.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokaired: They never once attributed the mind swap to nanomachines until MGS4. Before that, it just seemed like Liquid's arm was magic.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. Complete with Cam Clark oi oi-ing it. Even the explanation in 4 doesn't make much sense.

Hypnotherapy and drugs to foll a computer system. What? Although Peace Walker kinda did something dumber with AI and decision-making so I guess we should cut some slack somewhere.

Greenshoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Greenshoes

That dog has an eye patch!

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, guys, GUYS. The last two companions that were revealed were Quiet (Sniper), and DD (Wolf).
    Sniper....wolf.
    Sniper Wolf!

This probably means nothing.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sasnake

@shindig said:

No more Liquid, please. Its bad enough the game has him in the SAS but an SAS operative that got captured? Pffftt.

Guess you arent familiar with the whole Brave Two Zero thing then.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Let's stop pretending that the Metal Gear timeline makes complete sense :D I love MG and it makes little sense to me at times. At this point I fully believe that this is just eventually leading to remakes of Metal Gear - MGS4. This is why the tech and stuff feels out of place...its all a slow and subtle retcon/remake of existing material.

Kojima likes to reuse and make his universe smaller in each installment, so we might just find out that Quiet will become Wolf's mother, sister, whatever.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sasnake said:

@shindig said:

Guess you arent familiar with the whole Brave Two Zero thing then.

Damn, he could've had a book deal and BBC series out of it. Instead he had to live out his pipedream of surpassing the dad he never knew.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@gokaired: They never once attributed the mind swap to nanomachines until MGS4. Before that, it just seemed like Liquid's arm was magic.

Actually, the explanation according to the encyclopedia that came out around MGS4(and also what makes the most sense), is that both happened. First, Liquid's arm really did possess Ocelot due to Ocelot having innate supernatural abilities thanks to his father, The Sorrow. However, sometime after MGS2, Ocelot came out of the mind control, chopped the arm off, and replaced it with the crazy metallic one that he has in MGS4. That's when he initiated his plan to take Liquid's personality as his own with nanomachines and such.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.