Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Sep 01, 2015

The final main entry in the Metal Gear Solid series bridges the events between Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and the original Metal Gear, as Big Boss wakes up from a nine-year coma in 1984 to rebuild his mercenary paradise.

The Skulls

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Seriously, how are you supposed to fight these guys?

I usually play all stealth so my loadout is not very offensive, so when I encounter these guys I just finish they objective, call the chopper and book it.

Do you basically need a machine gun and a grenade launcher? I heard it's possible to fulton them but wouldn't that need like 50 tranq darts per Skull?

Roussow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It seems like a demanding task -- the second (sorta) boss (in chapter 11) only took about 6 or 7 tranqs to take down non-lethally... I don't think you can CQC skulls either, I just murdered them the first time, they don't technically die if you do "kill" them anyway, they just get back up and just warp away as the mist disappears, killing them seems to only be worth it for the sub-objective.

I wonder if you can replay the mission with better non-lethal gear and retroactively Fulton them... hmm, I might give that a go.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Sleep grenades/mines are your friend.

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do those grenades actually knock them out or are they only stunned for a while?

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

A single grenade won't do it, in my experience it takes two, but once they're down they're out. You can tell by the stamina meter that will deplete. (the one under their health bar)

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's awesome, now I just wanna get back in again

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I haven't fought them at all yet. In the very first mission you encounter them I managed to stealth past them (at the bridge). The mission in the quick look was won by me getting on D-Horse and booking outta there. The boss in Mission 11 got a supply crate to the head.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure whether it's possible to CQC them in a normal fashion, but you can counter their melee attacks for spectacular results. It involves gutting them with their own weapons and then just ripping them wide open. It's a hell of a thing, and you should go out of your way to have seen it.

Ontop of that, I found local gun emplacements such as LMGs to be extremely useful. If everything else fails, lure them next to a red barrel. They're either colour-blind or just plain stupid.

MrSwift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khessed: I had to ride past them and they chase you all the way to the chopper. every time I try to sneak past them they see me!

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@mrswift: what I did was, I got under the bridge from the right side. After a bit they come down and i went back up from the left side. The guys on the right come down first, then the left.

After both groups are under the bridge you can walk over the bridge to the other side and call D-Horse to get away from the situation without an alert.

MrSwift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khessed: thanks I'll go back to it go for the S rank.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.