Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid: Other M

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 31, 2010

Set between the events of Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, Other M follows Samus Aran on a rescue mission to a derelict ship in deep space where she encounters her former commanding officer and a whole host of old and new trouble.

Nintendo Wants To Humanize Samus In Metroid: Other M

• 76 results
    jugglez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By jugglez

To be honest, if I hadn't read the title, I would not have thought it was a Metroid game either. The opening title Team Ninja makes you initially think its not, and Samus looks way different with the short Final Fantasy Clou-esque hair do. But I think this increased the element of surpirse. I think it is a great direction to take and hopefully one that plays as well as Ninja Gaiden. It looks very much like NG, and personally speaking the previous Metroid games look better graphically but its still early days.

I'm looking forward to this one. Hopefully nintendo keeps a tight reign on the development so it isn't too far removed or shit compared to the previous installments.

boredperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By boredperson

When I watched the Nintendo press conference live I was shocked to realise that what they were showing was a metroid trailer. To answer your inital question Brad, when did you realise that it was a metroid trailer? For me it was the first line of speech, before Samus was seen in her suit. The reason being was what the first line said, "Any objections Lady?" As soon as I heard that line I realised what I was watching and I was amazed. The reason why that line is significant is that in Metroid Fusion, Samus stated that her previous commanding officer used to say that to her before she went on a mission. So it is possible to say that the game is set very early in the Metroid time line, possibly before even Metroid on the NES?

Avatar image for tachikoma_pilot
    Tachikoma_Pilot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Tachikoma_Pilot

Do not really want.

Watched it streaming, when I saw the suit I knew.

Majkiboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By Majkiboy

People complain that Nintendo doesn't change anything with their franchises.
    And when they finally do, they get complaints?
    Well anyway, lots of peeps here seem to be interested in this change, as am I.
    There's already other people and dialog in other metroid games, that didn't affect me in a bad way.
    I like some change. I'm READY!

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By ZeroCast

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....HHHHHHHH....HHH...H...

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By Knives
    @egads said:
    " Im not sure why Nintendo and Sakamoto are intent on ruining this new Metroid game.  One of the funnest features of previous releases was the loneliness and lack of storyline.  Sakamoto saying that Other M will "tie together" other story elements from different Metroid games is ridiculous.  Every new bit of information on this saddens me more. "
    False. Metroid Fusion had an awesome story, as did the Metroid Prime series. I don't know how you can jump to these conclusions of lonliness when we really know nothing about the game. I think it's pretty close-minded to think we can never have a game delving into Samus' past. 
    Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57  Edited By Junpei

Personally I'm ok with them trying this direction for a Metroid game. I like the ideas of tying the games together with the narrative. As a result they can connect Samus to the authorities she works with but still leave the lonesome feeling when sent in all by herself on missions with nothing but a briefing prior. Both sides should still be able to balance well.

Personally though I want nothing more than another sidescroller on the DS. Castlevania's kept the style alive but I'd really like a new Metroid.

gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By gesi1223

As long as it's not another Prime game.

Metroid needs to go back to its sidescrolling roots or atleast have a lot more of it.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#59  Edited By KingBroly

"Any Objections, Lady?"

That's when I knew it was Metroid.  Why?  Because that's what her former Commander Adam (Malcovich?) said to her.  I remembered it from Fusion.  So that's who that one guy is.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By MrKlorox

I also realized the trailer was a Metroid game as soon as I saw Samus in hew blue Zero suit and blonde ponytail. That was one of those spine shivering goosebumpy moments Nintendo used to be incredible at delivering.

I didn't get into the Prime series at all. I couldn't stand the way the horrible Japanese-friendly FPS controls were on the GC.; and haven't picked up the Wii edition out of unfamiliarity with Prime's story. However Super and Fusion were my favorite Metroid games of all time, so the story setting of Other M really appeases me.

I was really really wanting a new 2.5d NDS Metroid, but am satisfied (and pleasantly surprised) at the Other M showing. Besides, we have Shadow Complex to fill our 2.5d metroidvania demands for now. Other M is definitely not a 2.5d sidescroller. Looking forward to knowing more about it.

Also, I have a feeling we'll see a return of Mother Brain... "Other-M" is too similar to "Mother"... and you know how Japanese devs like to pretend they're clever with their foreshadowing name schemes. Either that or Samus is inoculated with the Metroid's seed.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61  Edited By Metroid545

Its like if I threw metroid prime, final fantasy and ninja gaiden into a blender I would get "The Other M"

LordelX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62  Edited By LordelX

I was watching a live stream of the Nintendo press conference...so when the Metriod Other M trailer began I thought it was a new IP that Nintendo so desparately needs. But when I saw the blonde girl I suspected it was Samus, and when the military officer sitting at the desk said "Any objections lady?" I immediately recognized the reference to Metriod Fusion, which I have played through a dozen times. Since I was disappointed with the Nintendo press conference overall, I didn't pay much attention to the game. I was especially skeptical about Team Ninja's involvement, because I don't like their games. Yet the more I think about the trailer and the more I think about this interview, I like the direction that they are taaking the series. Metriod needs a reinvention. I loved the Prime games, but I think that I'm the only one...cause 2 and 3 didn't sell. Hopefully this game appeals to everyone and Metriod takes its rightful place as the top Nintendo franchise.

n8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By n8

This also courtesy of the Wired interview:

Sakamoto: You might be aware of this, but I actually wasn’t that involved in the development of the Prime series. The goal in creating Metroid Prime was to create the ultimate first-person adventure, and I do think that Retro was able to do that. My approach, my concept, is a little bit different in terms of gameplay. And the story I want to tell with Other M can’t be achieved with that approach. So I think my take on this project is quite a bit different than Retro’s.

This has me ridiculously excited.  I dug the Prime series and all.  But Super Metroid is maybe my favorite game ever.  And the fact that Other M could be going back to those type of roots is the complete shit.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#64  Edited By jacksukeru

As a fan of Metroid Fusion and it's story, I believe in this. I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said by the other fans supporting it so here's hoping for a good new Metroid.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By Venatio

I really like this new direction that the series is going in, I found the other Metroid games to be kinda boring but still good

I hope they succed with their goals

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#66  Edited By DukeTogo

Prime 3 had dialog, while that game sold like shit, it was a game with other characters who interacted with Samus in more than gunfire.  Maybe that is telling and the fact that those people were there is what made it sell so poorly.  Even though I'm a lifelong player who remembers Metroid being released as part of the new "Adventure Series" games, and getting used to a game that wasn't just moving to the right the whole time, I also get annoyed when certain game franchises stay in the past and don't try to innovate. 

Metroid has always been the black sheep of Nintendo's family.  It was not that popular in Japan, which is why it took so long for a new game.  But it was very popular in the rest of the world, so it made sense to make a new one for the Gamecube.  But Nintendo was smart and had a Western developer make it, since they knew it was a Western audience that wanted a new Metroid in the first place.  Just like the Prime games, Nintendo sees again that a developer that knows what Western gamers like is a good choice for Metroid, but this time they decided to try for both.

My only fear in this game is that it looks very action-based.  Metroid has always been about exploration, if you take that away then it's not a Metroid game, it's just Samus in a Ninja Gaiden clone.  So far the closest game Team Ninja has done to a Metroid/Ninja Gaiden type of game was Rygar.  It had more exploration than Ninja Gaiden did, but the action it had was a little less extreme than Ninja.  I'd like to see that expanded on with much more exploration.  I'm not expecting a level on par with Super Metroid, that's just wishful thinking at this point, but if it's at least half as vast as that game I'll be happy.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Jayzilla

part of me misses the days when you were just samus and you killed stuff and there wasn't story to deal with. i like storyline, but for games these days, it's all just a cookie cutter approach to storytelling which dumbs down the whole thing. lots of franchises that didnt have any storyline in their first few outing become mediocre. play to your strengths and leave the storytelling for dev companies with a strong pedigree in that area.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Pie

Free map pack?

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#69  Edited By Forcen

There was a character page for Adam Malkovich (the guy in the picture), but now its gone...'

EDIT: But now its back apparently:D

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Media_Master

The characters look a little too 'gamey' for me

Otherwise, hope for the best

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72  Edited By lemon360

NO METROID GAME WILL EVER TOP SUPER METROID

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By jinxman

Metriod Prime is dumb

Honestly, it's one of the cheesiest first person shooters i've ever played.

This game looks pretty fucking awesome
    Haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#74  Edited By Haziqonfire

Can't wait for Other M.

This is EXACTLY where the series needs to go imo

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#75  Edited By get2sammyb

The trailer was one of my favourites of E3 so needless to say, I'm way excited for the game.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @jinxman said:
    " Metriod Prime is dumb

Honestly, it's one of the cheesiest first person shooters i've ever played.

This game looks pretty fucking awesome
    "
    Oh.
    Avatar image for captainsandwich
    CaptainSandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By CaptainSandwich

I fucking love when people use the word "cheesy" or "corny" incorrectly.

I'd post my many walls of text from the 1-Up boards, but don't feel like it right now. I'll just leave this instead:
    http://www.onemanga.com/Metroid/
    Yes, it's official.

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By apoptosis61

i think this metroid game will be a top for the series

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.