Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid: Other M

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Aug 31, 2010

Set between the events of Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion, Other M follows Samus Aran on a rescue mission to a derelict ship in deep space where she encounters her former commanding officer and a whole host of old and new trouble.

Send Nintendo your SD cards for update of bug

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By peacebrother

Really, Nintendo? It's 2010, the Internet is a pretty cool way to send information too.
    I think it's hilarious! Then again, I didn't run into this bug.

http://kotaku.com/5648679/nintendo-taking-care-of-metroid-other-m-bug
    Japan only, though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

NOA is offering the same solution as well, but unfortunately it's the best that we can really hope for at this point.  The Wii wasn't designed with patchable game software in mind.

On the other hand, despite the severity of the bug, it's remarkably easy to avoid as long as the player enters the offending door before electing to backtrack all the way to the room where the ice beam was acquired.  Not an excuse for the bug being present, but there have been far worse game-breaking bugs out there.  I do wonder how many people this actually affects.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It seems crazy that in this day and age this is the only way for Nintendo to fix the problem but I suppose at least they're doing something. I understand Nintendo's overall stance of core game quality over the use of the latest tech in creating the Wii and it's games but it seems almost inevitable that they were going to have a game come out that had some kind of very serious bug in it, think of all the massive bugs that have appeared in PC games and other games on this generation's consoles. While this kind of thing should be prevented from happening in the first place patching systems have become an essential part of rescuing a game should a very significant bug hit and let's face it, every game has at least some bugs. I think Nintendo do a great job with the Wii but we're living in an age where patching systems are about ensuring that the user gets an experience of at least adequate quality and this is an area where Nintendo need to catch up. As a side note I haven't heard any news of them rolling out the same save file solution in Europe that they have for the US and Japan which seems a little weak.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By KingBroly

The Wii is Cube tech, plain and simple.  Their next system will surely have the technology to patch games.  Heck, I bet the 3DS will as well since they actually got developer input when making it.  Keep in mind that something similar happened to Twilight Princess, so this is...somewhat of a step in the right direction for them because you don't need to send the disc in at least.  But I don't know why you'd want to wait a week, maybe more to get your save back when there are places like Gamefaqs that have saves immediately after that point.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @KingBroly said:
    " The Wii is Cube tech, plain and simple.  Their next system will surely have the technology to patch games.  Heck, I bet the 3DS will as well since they actually got developer input when making it.  Keep in mind that something similar happened to Twilight Princess, so this is...somewhat of a step in the right direction for them because you don't need to send the disc in at least.  But I don't know why you'd want to wait a week, maybe more to get your save back when there are places like Gamefaqs that have saves immediately after that point. "
    It's not the ideal solution, but as it stands, it's the best that Nintendo can offer, given the Wii's limitations.  It's better for them to provide a solution of some sort, no matter how roundabout, than to not provide one at all.  That being said, Nintendo reps have said on multiple occasions in the past that they're looking into improving their online experience, but there's not much they can do given the limitations they placed upon themselves with the current tech (Wii and DS/DSi).  With any luck, the 3DS will be a step in the right direction.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.