Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Michael Jackson

Person » credited in 7 games

Michael Jackson was an American singer and dancer until his untimely death in 2009. Jackson was a cultural icon in the 1980's and 90's but his reputation and popularity faced a sharp decline at the turn of the millennium.

The death of a celebrity.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

Edited By BR4DL3I9H

Why is it that whenever a celebrity passes away we are constantly bombarded with tributes and memorials as soon as the death is confirmed, which continues for weeks?

I am of course talking about Michael Jackson. Now I was sad to hear about his death, and considering he was only 50, it was a shock, and I, like a lot people own and love quite a few of his albums, and can honestly say that he has been a big inspiration in my music tastes. However, that doesn't mean that I want 7 out of every 10 songs on the radio to be Michael Jackson songs. I swear that if I hear someone play 'Beat it' one more time in the next few days I am going to.... do nothing.

It's as if real news suddenly takes a back seat and we are invited to watch MJ everywhere. I was watching the news yesterday and there was an entire segment devoted to people making memorials around the world, like a sand castle MJ in Italy (I think it was Italy) and a MJ puppet master in an outdoor market. Really? The fire that killed around half a dozen people in London gets the same amount of screen time as someone operating a puppet MJ? I mean come on.

Maybe I am just jaded, or maybe people are going overboard. But, one thing is for certain; enough is enough. By all means play some MJ songs, and re-runs of moon walker and/or thriller, but at the end of the day the world keeps turning and although I feel bad for his friends and family, and the people who bought tickets for this tour, I still feel that the sudden milking of MJ is incredibly disrespectful.

Before I get off my high horse, I would just like to ask other people what you think? Are you tired of tributes yet? Moonwalker re-runs? Or any other areas?

R.I.P Michael Jackson. I am sure I will miss you one day, when I stop seeing you on TV every morning when I am eating breakfast.
    BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

Why is it that whenever a celebrity passes away we are constantly bombarded with tributes and memorials as soon as the death is confirmed, which continues for weeks?

I am of course talking about Michael Jackson. Now I was sad to hear about his death, and considering he was only 50, it was a shock, and I, like a lot people own and love quite a few of his albums, and can honestly say that he has been a big inspiration in my music tastes. However, that doesn't mean that I want 7 out of every 10 songs on the radio to be Michael Jackson songs. I swear that if I hear someone play 'Beat it' one more time in the next few days I am going to.... do nothing.

It's as if real news suddenly takes a back seat and we are invited to watch MJ everywhere. I was watching the news yesterday and there was an entire segment devoted to people making memorials around the world, like a sand castle MJ in Italy (I think it was Italy) and a MJ puppet master in an outdoor market. Really? The fire that killed around half a dozen people in London gets the same amount of screen time as someone operating a puppet MJ? I mean come on.

Maybe I am just jaded, or maybe people are going overboard. But, one thing is for certain; enough is enough. By all means play some MJ songs, and re-runs of moon walker and/or thriller, but at the end of the day the world keeps turning and although I feel bad for his friends and family, and the people who bought tickets for this tour, I still feel that the sudden milking of MJ is incredibly disrespectful.

Before I get off my high horse, I would just like to ask other people what you think? Are you tired of tributes yet? Moonwalker re-runs? Or any other areas?

R.I.P Michael Jackson. I am sure I will miss you one day, when I stop seeing you on TV every morning when I am eating breakfast.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

Dude loved arcade games that's for sure.

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

That he did. If i had that kind of money i would have a room full of them to.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By randiolo

I love MJ but i think its disgusting that as soon as he dies the people that where calling him a child molester and a freak 30 min ago are the 1st ones to say oommg i cant believe hes gone blah blah and the press are just the same with thier bullshit tributes and replaying his concerts over and over when they were the ones pointing the finger at micheal. The very morning of his death people where rushing to buy his albums and memorbillia. Its sad that its only when someone dies they realise how really great they where.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By c1337us

Its to cash in. Some fools will buy anything during these times. MJ can be directly linked to a massive increase in our magazineand news sales at our work (the profits from this alone equated to nearly a weeks worth of wages for our staff). His death has also had some positive effects on our sales in some less obvious areas but true none the less. Theres no mistake that we got a box full of his CDs to sell including some bogus as The Michael Jackson Australia edition CD or whatever that was called.

Sad but true.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Red12b
    @Meowayne:
    Yep, Pretty much, Funny as all hell though.
    BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BR4DL3I9H
    @Meowayne: That's great, and applicable to almost any celebrity death.

@randiolo:
    I completely agree, it's all about the cash in but even unintention news broadcasts are adding to it, like when the news keeps repeating the same thing over and over again, even going to far as to talk about about only vaguely relavent areas and calling it news.
    the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By the8bitNacho
    @randiolo said:
    " I love MJ but i think its disgusting that as soon as he dies the people that where calling him a child molester and a freak 30 min ago are the 1st ones to say oommg i cant believe hes gone blah blah and the press are just the same with thier bullshit tributes and replaying his concerts over and over when they were the ones pointing the finger at micheal. The very morning of his death people where rushing to buy his albums and memorbillia. Its sad that its only when someone dies they realise how really great they where. "
    Death provides a whole new perspective on things in regards to those left alive.
    BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Not every celebrity gets so much coverage. Michael Jackson only gets so much attention because he tocuhed millions of people across the world.

Most of them males under the age of 9.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By penguindust

Last night, FOX aired the 1991 episode of the Simpsons "Stark Raving Dad" where Homer gets sent to an asylum after wearing a pink shirt to work where he meets a big white dude who claims to be Jackson.  The last time this episode aired on FOX was in 1993. 

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zityz

This won't go away anytime soon. In terms of Micheal Jackson, it's like the 2nd death of elvis or something. Now your going to have countless micheal jackson impersonators who will more than likely be all white people, flooding the world with their semi decent or terrible renditions of his dance moves. His death has spawned a load of crotch grabbers.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Verdugo

Yeah, it really sucks that he died, but I think I've had enough of Michael Jackson, let him rest in peace.

And, just a thought, imagine if he had feigned his death. The dude would be insanely rich, his record sales have reached astronomical heights due to his death. It's quite appalling at how little attention he was getting lately before his death (and what attention he did get was not exactly positive all the time) and then suddenly his death drives a million or so people to maddening grief.

Hypocritical bastards.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By mike

This is being closed because we don't need or want yet another Michael Jackson thread on the forums. Continue in Ryan's article, please.

RIP Moonwalker

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.