Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Sep 30, 2014

An open-world action-adventure game by Monolith, set between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Boxed version Steam activation?

arfarfarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is the boxed DVD version redeemable on Steam? Can't find this info anywhere, says online activation, but doesn't specify.

EwanSuttie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

According to this Wikipedia article, yes it uses Steam activation for the disc version. Of course its Wikipedia so not a guarantee but I have found that page to be correct the past couple of times buying a PC game on disc. Most of the big future releases seem to be on there there requiring Steam activation so I think its considered the norm nowadays. If it does use Steam its just a matter of popping the disc in, running the .exe and it'll install just like any downloading Steam game, only a lot faster, and maybe a little cheaper.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jesus_Phish

Any boxed game I've bought in the last three years which was also available digitally on Steam required Steam activation. If you can physically get to the box, it should tell you this on the back.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Yes, it's not EA or Ubisoft so it uses steam.

arfarfarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By arfarfarf
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cornbredx

@arfarfarf: I think that page just lists the different ways different (mostly older games or games that weren't released with steam but added to steam at some point later) games have keys that steam will accept. It's not actually a representation of whether a game is on steam. They do this, mainly, because you can put in game keys from before steam and if it's in steams database you will get a digital copy in your steam collection for free. I did around when steam first started that policy (not long after it came out really) so that's why I know.

Steam does have Shadow of Mordor in it's catalog. I know because it's on my wishlist =)

arfarfarf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By arfarfarf

On my list too ;)

From watching the GBE Playdate live stream it looks like you need a WB account. Got Street Fighter X Tekken a while back on DVD and there's no Steam activation, although it is available to buy on Steam.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike

They do this, mainly, because you can put in game keys from before steam and if it's in steams database you will get a digital copy in your steam collection for free.

Boxed copied come with Steam codes because they use Steamworks DRM, not because they want you to have a "free" copy...it's one license for the game, and it's activated via Steamworks.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: I wasn't talking about that.

If you have a license key from before steam a lot of games that are on steam can be redeemed on steam for a "free" copy.

New games are a different concept altogether as they are using steam as DRM. Old games did not require steam.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought the serial key on Amazon and it activated on Steam. I'm pretty sure it uses Steamworks, so yes it will activate on Steam.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.