Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Sep 30, 2014

An open-world action-adventure game by Monolith, set between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Pre-loading unpurchased DLC content on Steam

PsychoPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When I booted up steam today Shadow of Mordor downloaded a 3.2 GB "patch" most of which is the next DLC content, despite that content not actually being available for purchase yet (outside of the season pass which I did not buy). I love the game but don't like that they made me download content I'll most likely never unlock. I would understand if the game had multi-player and the content was needed so that you could still play with people who had purchased DLC but Shadow of Mordor is all single-player. Why would they make everyone download the DLC content before buying it?

It seems like a bad practice and I hope it doesn't catch on. Just posting here to complain like a grumpy old man.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

That sounds like a poorly-managed upgrade system. The patch notes definitely don't indicate that any of the other fixes they incorporated required that bandwidth. Weird that they felt the need to pre-load it like that. Maybe they're just optimistic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.