Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Middle-earth: Shadow of War

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Oct 10, 2017

Talion returns to confront the Ringwraiths and the dark lord Sauron himself.

Is Ithildin Door Loot Level Scaled?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#1 alistercat  Online

By collecting all of the words in an area you can unlock the Ithildin door, and the tutorial says there is great loot behind it. Since every piece of gear in this game has an assigned level, it would seem very silly to open them at the end of the game to get fixed, low level gear. On the other hand, if it is scaled to your current level, why should I open these doors before the endgame? Wouldn't that be a waste?

I'm looking for insight from players who are much further in the game than I am.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Tennmuerti

It is scaled to your level when you first get it. But you can upgrade it like all legendary gear by defeating/dominating certain captains at levels 20+ and 40+ and (i assume) 60.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ares42

I'm not 100% sure, but I saw a loading screen hint that said legendary loot can be upgraded multiple times. From what I've seen when you upgrade these items they got to specific set levels, which would indicate that if you fully upgrade all the Bright Lord pieces you get from that they would probably all be end-game level.

Having that said, I don't think the set is worth it anyways. The set bonus is very meh, and there's other gear attributes that are much better.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

By collecting all of the words in an area you can unlock the Ithildin door, and the tutorial says there is great loot behind it. Since every piece of gear in this game has an assigned level, it would seem very silly to open them at the end of the game to get fixed, low level gear. On the other hand, if it is scaled to your current level, why should I open these doors before the endgame? Wouldn't that be a waste?

I'm looking for insight from players who are much further in the game than I am.

No offense, but this seems like a bad way to play this game. Don't min-max stuff like that, it's a single-player game, not Destiny. You don't need to get your power-level up before a raid. If you want the cool loot, get the cool loot, don't worry about your level.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan said:
    @alistercat said:

No offense, but this seems like a bad way to play this game. Don't min-max stuff like that, it's a single-player game, not Destiny. You don't need to get your power-level up before a raid. If you want the cool loot, get the cool loot, don't worry about your level.

It's funny, you're completely right (though Nemesis difficulty is a good challenge so far, though I'm early in the main story - the first one was WAY too easy after you learned the systems - this is definitely better, on that difficulty)... but I CANNOT stop myself from obsessing over min-maxing my characters in any game like this. It's part of what I enjoy about them, so I've accepted it and only blame myself for the sometimes negative effects on making difficulty a non-issue. I also tend to handicap myself artificially when I've gone too far (though I certainly haven't had to do that here, yet at least)!

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@gkhan said:
    @alistercat said:

It's funny, you're completely right (though Nemesis difficulty is a good challenge so far, though I'm early in the main story - the first one was WAY too easy after you learned the systems - this is definitely better, on that difficulty)... but I CANNOT stop myself from obsessing over min-maxing my characters in any game like this. It's part of what I enjoy about them, so I've accepted it and only blame myself for the sometimes negative effects on making difficulty a non-issue. I also tend to handicap myself artificially when I've gone too far (though I certainly haven't had to do that here, yet at least)!

That's true. I've tended to do stuff like that as well, it's probably, like, a core gamer personality trait of trying to bend and break the systems as much as you possibly can. But as I've gotten less and less time to play the games, I've tried breeding that instinct out of myself. I usually try and go for "what seems fun now" rather than "what will be really cool in 15 hours, if i play perfectly".

I agree, the Nemesis difficulty is very good. The game doesn't feel impossible, but it's challenging and you do run into spots where it's like "oh, shit this is a lot of orcs... i should get the fuck out of here". Which is actually quite fun, that's exactly how this game should work. I've played about two-three hours and died once, and fled plenty. Very fun game so far.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan said:

That's true. I've tended to do stuff like that as well, it's probably, like, a core gamer personality trait of trying to bend and break the systems as much as you possibly can. But as I've gotten less and less time to play the games, I've tried breeding that instinct out of myself. I usually try and go for "what seems fun now" rather than "what will be really cool in 15 hours, if i play perfectly".

I agree, the Nemesis difficulty is very good. The game doesn't feel impossible, but it's challenging and you do run into spots where it's like "oh, shit this is a lot of orcs... i should get the fuck out of here". Which is actually quite fun, that's exactly how this game should work. I've played about two-three hours and died once, and fled plenty. Very fun game so far.

Try Nemesis difficulty for a bit, I recommend trying it if you're good at the Batman combat system and understand the SoW systems. I'm dying a lot, but that's a good thing here - you get Epic Orcs and Epic/Legendary loot when you die to one, especially multiple times. I never experienced that much of that in the first one, because I never died except by accident or on purpose to get a better rune.

Also, it's really neat when you have a dude who can cheat death over and over, and by the time you fight him for the (possibly?) last time (after like 5+ kills), he was so f-ed up it was amazing. He had burnt skin all over, metal for the top of his skull (with brain exposed), only 1 limb that isn't a hook or peg or festering. His wheelchair was a Caragor. And he was REALLY powerful by then, so when I killed him and got sweet Legendary loot, it was very satisfying. Don't be afraid to die in this one (unless you really want to do a mission that is one bar from running out of time if it advances, which means I just TRY not to die before completing it, with mixed results!).

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#8 alistercat  Online

@zombievac: @gkhan: this game is not one where I am looking for challenge, and I get more satisfaction from min maxing and exploiting the mechanics than I do out of anything else. In other games I might agree with you.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombievac: @gkhan: this game is not one where I am looking for challenge, and I get more satisfaction from min maxing and exploiting the mechanics than I do out of anything else. In other games I might agree with you.

I do too, but nothing gives me more pleasure than when I reach god-like character status on the highest difficulty I can choose or create for myself in the game!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.