Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Midway Games

Company »

A now-defunct publisher and developer that was based in Chicago. Best known later in its life for the Mortal Kombat series, Midway's legacy traces back to early pinball and arcade releases, when the company was known as Williams.

Dude, We Should Have Bought Midway

• 53 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    If I owned Mutoid Man, I'd put him to work, ASAP.
    The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Midway's largest shareholder, Sumner Redstone, has taken a huge load of debt off of his table by practically giving away his 87 percent stake in Midway. The shares were picked up by an investor named Mark Thomas, who picked up the shares for around $100,000--but he'll also assume $70 million in debt.

I think I speak for us all when I say... dude, that's a lot of debt!

Aside from letting Redstone save around $800 million in taxes, the impact of this move hasn't really been realized, so it's hard to say what this actually means for Midway. But it's probably safe to say that Thomas didn't get himself into this situation if he didn't see a clear way out of it. Will he keep the company together in its current form? Or will he blast it apart and sell off the company's properties in the hopes of getting more than $70,100,000 for them?

Maybe he's just a really big Smash TV fan who was fed up by the company's inability to produce a sequel. Midway hasn't really been too great at exploiting its back catalog. Aside from a few compilations on the last generation of console and some passable-but-plain emulated games on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network, there's a lot of stuff they could be tapping into. Here's a few lists of stuff I would bring back and stuff I would continue to ignore.

I'll leave Mortal Kombat out of this since it's as close to a sure thing as Midway has at the moment. Obviously, anyone involved in this process should keep making MK games.

The "I'd Buy That For A Dollar" List of Games That Should Get Remakes/Sequels:

Smash TV - This dual-joystick shooter got a spiritual successor in the form of Total Carnage, but with reality TV still plaguing society, another funny Running Man-like shooter would be first on my list as a four-player co-op/competitive dual-joystick shooter. Still, this would probably work best as a digital download.

Spy Hunter - Those Xbox/PS2 updates were decent, and no one's really doing anything too interesting with car combat these days. If paired with a driving engine that could really deliver a sense of speed while still allowing for weapons-based shenanigans, this could still work. Just leave The Rock out of it next time.

Psi-Ops - I'm not-so-secretly hoping that this "better than Gears 2" secret game that Midway has in the pipeline is a Psi-Ops game. Don't make it a sequel, because only crazy people remember the first game. Just make a wild physics game that succeeds where Star Wars: The Force Unleashed struggled. Aaaaaand then find a way to market it, since you can't just slap "Star Wars" on the box.

While I was at it, I'd probably try to line up more stuff from the back catalog for release on XBLA and PSN, using games like Bionic Commando Rearmed and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix as the model. I bet an updated version of Primal Rage could do OK. Kids love dinosaurs. I'd love to see a Xybots sequel. And, of course, there's always Rampage, which seems to sell way better than anyone expects every time they put out a new one.

What about you? Are there any classics from the old Midway/Atari Games catalog that you think would help dig the company out of its gigantic debt hole?
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Midway's largest shareholder, Sumner Redstone, has taken a huge load of debt off of his table by practically giving away his 87 percent stake in Midway. The shares were picked up by an investor named Mark Thomas, who picked up the shares for around $100,000--but he'll also assume $70 million in debt.

I think I speak for us all when I say... dude, that's a lot of debt!

Aside from letting Redstone save around $800 million in taxes, the impact of this move hasn't really been realized, so it's hard to say what this actually means for Midway. But it's probably safe to say that Thomas didn't get himself into this situation if he didn't see a clear way out of it. Will he keep the company together in its current form? Or will he blast it apart and sell off the company's properties in the hopes of getting more than $70,100,000 for them?

Maybe he's just a really big Smash TV fan who was fed up by the company's inability to produce a sequel. Midway hasn't really been too great at exploiting its back catalog. Aside from a few compilations on the last generation of console and some passable-but-plain emulated games on Xbox Live Arcade and PlayStation Network, there's a lot of stuff they could be tapping into. Here's a few lists of stuff I would bring back and stuff I would continue to ignore.

I'll leave Mortal Kombat out of this since it's as close to a sure thing as Midway has at the moment. Obviously, anyone involved in this process should keep making MK games.

The "I'd Buy That For A Dollar" List of Games That Should Get Remakes/Sequels:

Smash TV - This dual-joystick shooter got a spiritual successor in the form of Total Carnage, but with reality TV still plaguing society, another funny Running Man-like shooter would be first on my list as a four-player co-op/competitive dual-joystick shooter. Still, this would probably work best as a digital download.

Spy Hunter - Those Xbox/PS2 updates were decent, and no one's really doing anything too interesting with car combat these days. If paired with a driving engine that could really deliver a sense of speed while still allowing for weapons-based shenanigans, this could still work. Just leave The Rock out of it next time.

Psi-Ops - I'm not-so-secretly hoping that this "better than Gears 2" secret game that Midway has in the pipeline is a Psi-Ops game. Don't make it a sequel, because only crazy people remember the first game. Just make a wild physics game that succeeds where Star Wars: The Force Unleashed struggled. Aaaaaand then find a way to market it, since you can't just slap "Star Wars" on the box.

While I was at it, I'd probably try to line up more stuff from the back catalog for release on XBLA and PSN, using games like Bionic Commando Rearmed and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix as the model. I bet an updated version of Primal Rage could do OK. Kids love dinosaurs. I'd love to see a Xybots sequel. And, of course, there's always Rampage, which seems to sell way better than anyone expects every time they put out a new one.

What about you? Are there any classics from the old Midway/Atari Games catalog that you think would help dig the company out of its gigantic debt hole?
    AlexMarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By AlexMarra

That's really funny, seeing as how I remember the whole story to Psi-Ops. The dude shot Barrett in the face!

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Alphazero

Big Debt! Big Prizes! I love it!

I'm with you on the Smash TV. I once drove across the country with a side mission of finding and beating every Total Carnage arcade game I could find. There was a good one in Alburquerque.

If the new owners make a new Smash TV I will give them.... a brand new VCR!

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By papercut

wasnt there supposed to be a spy hunter game with the rock?

AlexMarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5  Edited By AlexMarra

That's funny, seeing as how I remember the whole story to Psi-Ops. The dude shot Barrett in the face!

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By cspiffo

"Thomas, who picked up the shares for around $100,000--but he'll also assume $70 million in debt."

Worst...Trade...Ever!!!

ratzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ratzombie

I'd personally love to see a new NBA Jam.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Scooper

I dunno, Midway's kind of done to be honest, at least for me.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ThomasP

NBA Jam please!

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Dryker

Do a deal withRockstar and put out DLC that adds the ability to stomp through Liberty City with giant monsters from Rampage. All the while being chased by the cops, other players, and "hero" civilians trying to make  a name for themselves. Imagine it, the environments are pretty destructable, grabbing helicopters and hurling'em at cops, grabbing buses and using them like baseball bats, it would be awesome. GTA IV: Rampage on Liberty City pack. I'd pay ten bucks for that.

P.S. To the debt debaters: Debt shmebt. Remember those really, really, ridiculously wealthy guys who got bailed out for 700 billion doloreses. This guy probably has money stashed if things were to go too far south, he'd just up and leave the country. To major players, gigantic debt is an everyday reality. If you're not in debt, you're not growing.

jediautobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By jediautobot

It's time for a new Rush game.  Say yes to jumping your car onto and off of buildings!

ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ferrarimanf355

Am I the only one who played The Grid? It's like Smash TV meets Quake III Arena, and Ed Boon made it. There's a local arcade near me that has it, and I'm fully convinced that Midway is stoopid for not porting it to home consoles. Same thing with CarnEvil. God, I love that game. If Midway put out a Wii compilation with Area 51, Area 51: Site 4 (another game that never got ported), Maximum Force, and CarnEvil, I'd buy it. Oh, and an XBLA/PSN version of the arcade version of San Francisco Rush 2049 would be awesome, too. We should find out the mailing address of this guy, and send him letters on what to do with Midway...

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By RHCPfan24

I LOVE Psi-Ops.  One of my favorite last-gen games.  Hopefully they will be smart and make another one of those in some form or another.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Coltonio7

Dr Muto!! Give me a Dr Muto sequal!

ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ferrarimanf355

Oh, and everyone should go to midwayarcade.com. Take a look at the classics on offer. Then realize that Midway hasn't updated the site since they unveiled it. Write letters and demand more stuff on there, guys!

RawShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RawShark

Company in debt +
    Psi-Ops sequel +
    Some good marketing =
    PROFIT.

Avatar image for capncloudchaser
    CapnCloudchaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By CapnCloudchaser

I live near the Midway branch in the UK (And have even visited it a few times :O), so I wonder how this may affect them?

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Media_Master

I'd like a true blue remake of Spy Hunter, without the Rock on consoles today!

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Systech

Midway and Giant Bomb = Perfect Fit

FreedomToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FreedomToast

you missed the most important license..........PaperBoy    i would buy this for a dollar

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By jakob187

JEFF!!!  How DARE you say "don't make it a sequel" to Psi-Ops 2!!!  DO YOU REMEMBER THAT CLIFFHANGER ENDING?!  WE NEED TO KNOW!!!

I could only pray and hope that they make Psi-Ops 2, and if they don't, SOMEONE needs to do it!!!
    Ruggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ruggles

Wowz, Mark Thomas took it hard, he just spent 70.1 mil, even if it is in future money. 

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Just remake Psi-Ops with a new engine and more insane physics (actually, kinda like that one physx game.. I knew it seemed familiar o.o) no one played the damn game anyway. Then you can put out a sequel and start a new big time franchise, plus you will actually make money off of Psi-Ops this time! woohoo!

But seriously, these guys have shit loads of things up their sleeves, they just need to use em.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By Claude
    ShartCarbuncle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ShartCarbuncle

I know that dual stick shooters are getting kind of played out, but I'd still shell out for a new Robotron.

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Bgrngod

Break Midway into pieces and sell them off.  They've sucked for just shy of a few decades.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zoozilla

That is a hell of a lot of debt.

Who in their right mind would assume that much unholy debted-ness?

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By BoG
    Alphazero said:
    "Big Debt! Big Prizes! I love it!

I'm with you on the Smash TV. I once drove across the country with a side mission of finding and beating every Total Carnage arcade game I could find. There was a good one in Alburquerque.

If the new owners make a new Smash TV I will give them.... a brand new VCR!
    "
    Dude, if they make a new Smash TV game, I'll give them more then a VCR, I'll give them a Year supply of Meat products!
    I want the fabulous home game!
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I think you nailed most of the Midway hits, but how about the games they released last general that all had potential and failed miserably because they were poorly made? A new NARC game could potentially be totally awesome if done right. Who wouldn't want to play an updated Gauntlet with online co-op? Of course everyone wants the Rush series to return. Area 51? I'm always down with some aliens, but the 2 latest FPS versions of the game haven't been so hot.

Then of course you got stuff like Hydro Thunder, and the Cruis'n USA series. I'm always down with Rampage, but it's been done so many times in the same style that it really has lot its appeal. Why not reinvent the series a bit? I would absolutely love to play some more Total Carnage. They could just bring that bad boy to Xbox Live and PSN with co-op and I'd get it. Midway has all the game properties they need, but apparently they just don't know what to do with them.

Oh, and in response to the guy that mentioned The Grid... yeah, why the heck didn't they bring it to home consoles? Arcades hardly even exist anymore, what were they thinking? I really wanted to play that game but never got the chance.

Also, I've been saying this for like the last couple years. PUT NBA JAM ON XBL AND PSN. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ocdog45

good reporting. i dont care for widway though.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By bjorno

they should rename themselves "Alltheway", because nobody wants a half-finished company.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By zityz

Aside from all the ones people want( smash, gauntlet, rush ect) how about ths crazy idea. A remake of MK2?

"But why?" you ask? well look at Street fighter 2 remix, worked for them.
    so why not a Remix of MK2 with online play with redone characters backrounds and leaderboards? Also be another option to those who wanted the lastest MK with a hint of M in it.

Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rasgueado

How about an XBLA title that has 4-5 of their biggest pinball tables. I'd buy *that* for more than a few dollars. (and for some reason... Xenophobe. I don't know why... but I played that game more than I think I should have when I was younger)

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Captain_Fookup

I just want Midway to fucking die.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

WTF? only crazy people reemmber Psiops 1? sorry i remember and its one of my favs from last generation its too bad they stole the entire story which means theird be no sequal

Raydanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Raydanger

I recall, as some of you might, the co-op mode is Psi-Ops. One person would control the body, movement and melee attacks. Then, the other guy would control the aiming, shooting, and powers. My friend and I went through the whole game like that, and it was awesome. Come to think of it, that game is still under my bed......

PSI-OPS 2! NOW!!

ferrarimanf355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ferrarimanf355
    TheGreatGuero said:
    Oh, and in response to the guy that mentioned The Grid... yeah, why the heck didn't they bring it to home consoles? Arcades hardly even exist anymore, what were they thinking? I really wanted to play that game but never got the chance.
    Yeah, you're missing out on this piece of greatness.
    Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#38  Edited By Brackynews

Uhhh, Killer Instinct?  Xenophobe?  Doctor Who pinball?
    I'd buy all those, and I know others that would.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Brilliant move. Paying 100,000 dollars to incur 70,000,000 dolllars of debt is only a cunt hair away from an Einstein theory.

Xander51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Xander51

Maybe a console MMO Gauntlet that's free to play with micro transactions?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c468a9482ba9
    deactivated-5c468a9482ba9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HYDRO THUNDER FOR XBLA

Climin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Climin

I'd buy Rampage if they pulled a Street Fighter and did an HD remix of it.

TabooTongue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TabooTongue

Sinistar, and MK4 definently.  Maybe as WiiWare (not Virtual Console) with WiiSpeak. I'd get it just MK4 just as quickly for the 360 though. I'm glad to see that Midway has a new majority owner, whatever he does with it.
    ANd I said the same thing when I heard how cheap it was sold for.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By Kyle

Rush! Am I right?! Who WOULDN'T want to see that game remade for current- . . . . . . . . oh . . . . . . . . ooooh . . . . . . . . . '______'

MonkeysDad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MonkeysDad

Psi-Ops!

Nice to know I'm not the only one who has fond memories of that game.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#46  Edited By jacksukeru

Yup, Psi-ops was mad shit. Story was a bit off at times (example: there's an "evi twin" in it -_-) but all in all a fun game. Cliffhanger ending sucked  though...wait, I remember everything now!

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Emilio

I fucking love Smash TV and the NBA games. I also effing love all ( most ) the classic Williams-Bally-Midway arcade games.

If there was to be a Smash TV sequel, it would have to be on Wii. After playing Space Invaders Get Even, I came to the conclusion that a new Smash TV WiiWare title would kick ass times a million jillion one dollars.

OH, and other games that should make a comeback... Sinistar, Defender, Joust, Paper Boy, Rampage, Robotron, San Francisco Rush, Hydro Thunder... sheeyeeeeet!
    Some of these were developed by Williams or Atari, but I think Midway owns them these now.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Vod_Crack

A Better NARC remake! Not a budget title!

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#49  Edited By Black_Rose

If they put out a good sequel to Psi-Ops i'm sold.

Anuebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Anuebis

100,000 buy in and 70 mil debit.  Kind of seems like eating a candy coated turd or that crap finish candy.  Sweet on the outside, nothing but poo poo on the inside.

oh, and yes totally on board with a new NBA JAM.  But it needs to have both Clintons this time and maybe even Geroge too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.