Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Minigame

Concept »

These are often a departure from the conventional gameplay of a game. There have also been compilations; games including only minigames. The Mario Party series has a lot of minigames, too!

Which of these two card game minigames is better in your opinion?

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

sgtsphynx  Moderator

Poll Which of these two card game minigames is better in your opinion? (29 votes)

Gwent (Witcher 3) 38%
    Triple Triad (Final Fantasy VIII) 38%
    Other/Show Me the Results 21%

I chose these two since they are the two I see most often talked about fondly. I personally prefer Gwent, but I did enjoy Triple Triad when I played FFVIII. Fuck the random rule though. Also, I really wish there was a physical version of Gwent. I would spend a decent amount of money for a set.

If there is another card game minigame you think is more deserving of being in this poll, or is better in general than either option, feel free to mention said game.

• 
    BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Gwent is by far the game with the most like, strategy and depth too it. Its also the most easy to get into, in that you don't have to jump through a million hoops and etc, you just play.

Its got some obviously broken 'way better then anyone else" strategies, and could do with some refining but, with that they could totally sell it as a CCG and I could get my friends to play it with me no issue. Easy to teach, harder to master.

Triple Triad on the other hand is either completely random..or totally one sided. Decks either are 'broken" or "terrible" with little in the way of a meta-game beyond "Do you have the S-tier cards? No? ok you might just lose to one, nothing for it. Gwent on the other hand, you can have a competitive deck made up by about 10 battles in.

So, yah, maybe its also cause I think FF8 sucks, and did back when it was new, but my vote is absolutely in favor of Gwent for the reasons stated. Its not even close.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 thatpinguino  Staff

Triple Triad is the only mini game I've ever seen that can viably replace combat as the central way of growing characters. If you play enough Triple Triad and know what you're doing, you can completely break FFVIII before you even fight the first boss. Now that's a well integrated mini game! As a competitive game, it's horribly imbalanced; but, as a puzzle for the player, it's very fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.