Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

How about them Riot Shields?

• 77 results
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

Me and a friend messed around with some riot shields today during a round of team deathmatch, we stuck together and roamed the hallways of terminal with them, and we did horrible. But we sure had some fun doing it. We both got in a melee with a one guy who only had an assault rifle, we came at him from both sides which must have really freaked him out, he was trying to get away but we kept cornering him as he tried to knife us. He killed my friend but i kept trying to bash him as he tried to knife me, after a good minute to a minute and a half ( Or years in call of duty time.), one of his teamates sniped me from above.  

So yea i got one death and no kills, but I really messed with that dudes head, which is honestly why I think IW put in the riot shield, its so distracting, its like a challenge, something you will do everything to destroy even if you can't. They are not good for getting kills, but they are very fun.

To sum it up, what do you guys think of the riot shields?

Skye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Skye

Utterly abysmal.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

They're a pretty cool addition. I'd never use one, but it's cool how they can be a nightmare in tight alleys, but in other situations I just sidestep them and stab them in the back. They're awesome.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mikemcn

Riot shields let you get up close and watch them squirm, if you can defend against their sidesteps and melees, then they start to not know what to do, its funny, would make a good youtube video anyways.
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Out_On_Bail

They are great for teamwork. My friend was using one and I would stand behind him; while he walked up to the target I would easily get the kill. Of course, my buddy eventually got tired of not getting any kills but we were kicking a lot of ass with that combo.

Skillface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Skillface

Shouldn't this be in the MW2 forum?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mikemcn
    @Skillface said:
    "Shouldn't this be in the MW2 forum? "

I didnt even realize I hadn't put it in the MW2 forum, my bad
    Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Novyx

I had a pretty swell time earlier, between a four kill streak with bashes while moving from building to building and then, in whatever that quarry level is, (is it quarry?) getting a ton of points for being a distraction by blocking shots from four guys firing up the slop at me while my team picked them off. 40-90 points for each one of those, and they were just pouring onto the screen for well over a minute.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Absurd

Are these like the shields from Counter Strike, because I had a blast fucking with people in public servers with them.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @Absurd said:
    " Are these like the shields from Counter Strike, because I had a blast fucking with people in public servers with them. "
    Well there is the advantage of using it as a weapon.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am sure a clever team could come up with a fantastic use for them on certain maps.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By delta_ass

It doesn't make any sense that transparent riot shields would actually prove impenetrable against high caliber assault rifles and machine guns. I mean, aren't riot shields supposed to only provide protection against hippy protestors throwing rocks and bottles and such?

Avatar image for deactivated-5884be30433ec
    deactivated-5884be30433ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Delta_Ass said:
    " It doesn't make any sense that transparent riot shields would actually prove impenetrable against high caliber assault rifles and machine guns. I mean, aren't riot shields supposed to only provide protection against hippy protestors throwing rocks and bottles and such? "
    Im sure they are pretty unrealistic. The bullets dont seem to have too much force based on the reactions of someone using a shield.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

This should be in the MW2 forums. 

Also, haven't seen a lot of people using them...but when they do, I just knife them and kill them.  It's a weak option...except when you are on Favela in Domination at Capture Point B.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By fishinwithguns
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " It doesn't make any sense that transparent riot shields would actually prove impenetrable against high caliber assault rifles and machine guns. I mean, aren't riot shields supposed to only provide protection against hippy protestors throwing rocks and bottles and such? "
    I think that's missing the point.  It also doesn't make sense to have Navy SEALS that die only to reappear somewhere else in the vicinity of where they were originally killed.  Any game that puts pure realism above actual gameplay will suck, undoubtedly.

I actually haven't used the riot shield yet, but I think it's cool they added them in.  It's definitely a change of pace when I run into a guy who has one.

I'm actually pretty in love with the throwing knife right now.  I haven't had a whole lot of kills with it, but when it works it makes you feel so badass.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Red

They're just kinda if you want to annoy someone, or Akimbo some machine pistols and have something watching your back.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mikemcn
    @Delta_Ass said:
    "It doesn't make any sense that transparent riot shields would actually prove impenetrable against high caliber assault rifles and machine guns. I mean, aren't riot shields supposed to only provide protection against hippy protestors throwing rocks and bottles and such? "

Yea, because everything else in that game is so realistic.Like the ability to SILENCE A SHOTGUN lol or a heartbeat sensor that works through walls.
    DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DCFGS3

I can see them being used in very specific situations, and even useful, but in a fast paced game, they'll simply be more of a burden. Having said that, somebody could become really good with them and use them properly.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mikemcn
    @DCFGS3 said:
    "I can see them being used in very specific situations, and even useful, but in a fast paced game, they'll simply be more of a burden. Having said that, somebody could become really good with them and use them properly. "

Bowling said using it with a blast shield would make you "LIke a Tank", i'll have to try that.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Karmum

I'm kind of indifferent on them. Trying to shoot somebody who has one in a team objective game can be a pain in the ass, but also is great for strategical purposes. Diverting the attention from somebody in CTF? Diverting the attention away from a capture in HQ or Domination?

Possibilities are endless.

Avatar image for collegefootballguy
    CollegeFootballGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"we came at him from both sides which must have really freaked him out, he was trying to get away but we kept cornering him as he tried to knife us    " 

LMAO! 

the riot shields are great.
    danguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By danguy

I think the riot shield is great. You can get a bunch of players shooting at you wasting ammo, also you get points for taking deflecting damage. A lot of the times it's good to distract a player and let your team mate sneak up and get the kill, or if you want to melee them yourself.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I love the riot shield. My class with the riot shield is called "Tank" and has blast shield and stuff. It's really good for Headquarters  cause you can just put it up and crouch in the corner and bash people that try to run up on ya.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ArchScabby

In headquarters it's the most annoying thing ever.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Mikemcn said:
    " @DCFGS3 said:
    "I can see them being used in very specific situations, and even useful, but in a fast paced game, they'll simply be more of a burden. Having said that, somebody could become really good with them and use them properly. "
    Bowling said using it with a blast shield would make you "LIke a Tank", i'll have to try that. "
    how well does that blast shield perk work anyway? 
    meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By meteora

I love the riot shield, its fun carrying it around and stuff. I've tried covering my team with the shield and sometimes it works with me soaking in all the shots while they kill the guys in front of me, but most of the time my teammates never bother going with that combo.

The riot shield isn't as effective as before now that people know that they can shoot me from the flanks, launch a noob tube at me, throw a semtex/nade at me. =/ At launch date I would get like 3-4 people backing off when I rush towards them lol.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By mrfizzy

Cant say that im a fan, most of the maps you can be hit too easily from the side or from behind, if you were playing with friends/in a clan then maybe they would be more useful.  
    Just about the only time iv seen anyone use them was earlier today, he came at me across open ground in Overpass, was freaking coz i was just pumping bullets into him with the FAMAS and the BOOM! he got hit in the back with a rocket. i loled.  

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Dude

B flag rush with 2 riot shields with blast mask and a couple assault =  you just secured your B flag in domideal.

danguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By danguy
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @Mikemcn said:
    " @DCFGS3 said:
    Bowling said using it with a blast shield would make you "LIke a Tank", i'll have to try that. "
    how well does that blast shield perk work anyway?  "
    It's an equipment, which replaces a frag grenade or throwing knife. I think it's pretty affective, it makes you take less damage from explosives like grenades and C4. But on the downside it make you view smaller and you can't see your minimap.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By delta_ass
    @Mikemcn said:
    " @Delta_Ass said:
    "It doesn't make any sense that transparent riot shields would actually prove impenetrable against high caliber assault rifles and machine guns. I mean, aren't riot shields supposed to only provide protection against hippy protestors throwing rocks and bottles and such? "
    Yea, because everything else in that game is so realistic.Like the ability to SILENCE A SHOTGUN lol or a heartbeat sensor that works through walls. "
    Hey, you're right. It's not a very realistic game about modern warfare at all.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to use them to draw helicopter fire off team mates, and to draw people back into alleys then switch to AA12 and watch until they come around the corner.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By grilledcheez

I ran into somebody who was an expert at using it...like nobody could kill him and he distracted us while his teammates ripped us apart.

Kraylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kraylor

Shotgun silencers exist. That aside, yes, the game is not exactly true to life.

The riot shield is fun, and a friend of mine is pretty good with it. Funny to watch him slowly close in on people for the beatdown, even if it's me.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By meteora
    @DanGuy said:
    " @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " @Mikemcn said:
    " @DCFGS3 said:
    how well does that blast shield perk work anyway?  "
    It's an equipment, which replaces a frag grenade or throwing knife. I think it's pretty affective, it makes you take less damage from explosives like grenades and C4. But on the downside it make you view smaller and you can't see your minimap. "
    The upside (or downside) is that you can switch it on and and off whenever you like. So if there's a nade that will inevitable get you, you can just press the equipment button (RB for 360, I think R1 for PS3) and it'll kick right in with the effects.
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lunarbunny
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Red12b
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " @Mikemcn said:
    " @Delta_Ass said:
    Yea, because everything else in that game is so realistic.Like the ability to SILENCE A SHOTGUN lol or a heartbeat sensor that works through walls. "
    Hey, you're right. It's not a very realistic game about modern warfare at all. "
    Dude, Check out Urban chaos, Riot Response, These riot shields can withstand a gas powered blow torch for five minutes!
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Chokobo

I could only really see them being useful in objective-based games (CTF, S&D, etc...).

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So can you shoot a sidearm while having the shield up?

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Brunchies
    @addictedtopinescent: No, people would complain to IW about that if it was in the game.
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Riot shields can be good when capturing points and such. I just knife anyone who uses them though.

Also, this game takes place years into the future. Maybe this stuff will exist then?

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kohe321

Riot shields are awesome. I played online with 9 friends over ventrilo, where 7 of us ran around with riot shields and two sported light machine guns. We created a wall and captured many flags in domination... 

This is a pretty weird comparison, but when we made the wall of shields the action felt like the movie 300. It was awesome.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mikemcn
    @Kohe321 said:
    "Riot shields are awesome. I played online with 9 friends over ventrilo, where 7 of us ran around with riot shields and two sported light machine guns. We created a wall and captured many flags in domination...   This is a pretty weird comparison, but when we made the wall of shields the action felt like the movie 300. It was awesome. "

I would have loved to see a wall of riot shields in action lol 
    Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Kohe321
    @Mikemcn said:
    "I would have loved to see a wall of riot shields in action lol"
    Yeah, get some friends together and make it happen! It's a lot of fun.
    RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RTSlord

its only good on terminal, with one guy with a shield, crouching, and a guy behind him with an assault rifle or SMG. other than that i find them utterly usesless.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#45  Edited By natetodamax
    @Skye said:
    " Utterly abysmal. "
    adziboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By adziboy

I've actually had a very good match using one. Basically, we were playing terminal and demoltion and they got the one inside, so all thats left is the plane one. It's a very narrow passageway with the corner halfway, so I got a riot shield and just plonked myself round the corner. They would come charging round and I'd just bash them - died a few times from bombardment of grenades (1-5 is alright with blast shield on and riot shield up, crouched) and very rarely a flash and they come and knife me. But because it was narrow, they couldn't get past - it's hilarious. Nobody knows what to do so they either run at you, shoot you, or run away - all 3 end up with you laughing, crying almost, as you bash them to death.

After 70+ kills, they had my tactic sussed out. They also used riot shields and that ends up being a fucking nightmare. Everyones just banging shields and nobodys dying, but in the end they started using guns again so we won. Cheap tactic, sure, but it was fucking worht it. I have never laughed so god damn hard when some guy wasted all his ammo on me and then tried to knife the front of me, then I just bashed him off the plane and he died from fall damage. 

I've also found them useful in demoltion on other maps. One good example was when I died as they planted, then we fought back and while they were respawning a guy of ours was defusing. He was about to die, so I sprinted over, jumped over him, proning, and crouched in front of him, riot shield up, and he managed to defuse. At the end everyone was like 'good game' and 'thanks for the riot shield' because if used right, it's amazing. 

I also did a 'Flag Runner# (the trailer) moment. I was behind a guy with the riot shield and we just moved slowly to our flag - it works wonders. Nobody knows what to do against a riot shield. Bullets don't work, knives don't work, grenades sometimes work, and flashbangs and pathetic because you either blind yourself or the effect disappears before they can run around the back of me and kill me.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By snide

I've seen a couple people use them in combo with the thrown knife perk and utterly surprise the opposition.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#48  Edited By natetodamax
    @snide said:
    " I've seen a couple people use them in combo with the thrown knife perk and utterly surprise the opposition. "
    That sounds like an awesome idea. I'll have to try it.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mikemcn
    @natetodamax said:
    " @snide said:
    " I've seen a couple people use them in combo with the thrown knife perk and utterly surprise the opposition. "
    That sounds like an awesome idea. I'll have to try it. "

Ive tried it, its great, but if you miss, retrieving the knife while getting pounded by bullets is a bitch.
    Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Bwast

Me and 2 of my buddies have been doing this the past 2 nights now. Riot shield with marathon, lightweight and commando. We all laugh when we come around a corner and people just stop dead in their tracks and throw everything they have at us. It's like a slasher movie. I move really slowly but you will eventually back yourself into a corner and that's when I pounce. Good times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.