Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

On Modern Warfare 2 and Team Fortress 2's PC communities

Lamashtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lamashtu

I seem to remember on last week's Bombcast that Jeff pointed out that sales on consoles for CoD4 far outweighed that of the PC, which was likely the reason for the abolition of dedicated servers and mod support for Modern Warfare 2.  

This got me thinking: The Team Fortress series, much like IW's previous games, had its origins on the PC platform. In fact, IW's pedigree with PC first-person shooters predates the foundation of IW itself, as the founders were former developers for Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and its expansions. However, despite the fact that Valve opted to fully invest in console ports of The Orange Box, the PC version of Team Fortress 2 is clearly superior to its console counterparts, as the PC community by miles surpassses that of the consoles (idlers notwithstanding). In addition, Valve has released sizable updates to the PC version at a (semi-)regular basis.  

So what's the deal?  Where did IW's former focus on developing for the PC go wrong? Though I have my issues with Valve's incompetence with communicating with their fans, they have at least had a good finger on the pulse of the PC community. This is a prime example of understatement, but Infinity Ward's desire to control the content of the game is disappointing when you consider the fact that Valve not only allows custom content to roam free, but actively encourages modders (in fact, well community designed TF2 maps are actually implemented with some of their updates to the game). IW's abhorrence of server lists is equally puzzling, as a clunky and unintuitive server browser is hardly an excuse to not play a great multiplayer game (Battlefield 2 was proof of this). If I might be so bold, might I suggest to IW that since Steam is required to play Modern Warfare 2 that they use Valve's model of server browsers, considering that it is one of the most intuitive and responsive ones I have used in my long history with PC gaming? 

Of course I'm aware of the big, white elephant in the room concerning IW's recent shenanigans. Much of what has negatively influenced the current state of the game can be owed to the big-wigs in charge of Activision. But, considering that IW is one of the crown-jewels of Activision, one might think that Infinity Ward might have had the balls to disregard any "suggestions" from 'ol Bobby. 

My two cents...
    SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SammydesinasNL

I, although not fully sure of what I'm saying, blame Treyarch (as always). PC players were let down when suddenly CoD3 didn't come out on PC (even though it sucked). From here on they obviously paid more attention to other games as there was a timespan of a few years between CoD2 and CoD4:MW.
    SlapChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SlapChop

I think it's just a difference in philosophy. 

Valve puts out a game sells it, add things, sells more of the game. Builds a large community who tell their friends about the game and it sells more. 

Activision, make a game last a year, sell a few map packs, release a new game next year. I don't think they feel it is a benefit for a game to have a robust long lasting community.  

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pause422

MW2 will literally have no PC community.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond
    @Lamashtu: 

I don't think it's the community that made TF2 better on PC.  The PC TF2 community are mostly a bunch of shit heads, I made a thread ranting about those fucks in the past here.  TF2 was better on PC because of the way Valve supported it, because of the large amount of features that turned out better on PC.  Right off the bat COD4 was a rock solid, exceptional console experience.  TF2 on 360 had lots of connection issues (wasn't even really good for a 360 online game), and didn't get the updates.

It's not that IW's PC development went really wrong (you could argue MW2 has), but that their console development has gone extremely right.  To the point where IW tapped into a market exceptionally larger than they could have on the PC, and now they're going to cater to that market.  This is what has happened to a lot of developers in the last few years.
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By flaminghobo
    @pause422 said:
    "MW2 will literally have no PC community. "
    Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By Forcen
    @pause422:
    @FlamingHobo:
    How do you guys define PC community? Do you think that there will be no multiplayer matches played on the PC version?
    inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By inkeiren
    @Forcen said:

" How do you guys define PC community? Do you think that there will be no multiplayer matches played on the PC version? "

I'm assuming they are referring to clans, dedicated servers, and a pool of players who create custom maps.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ajamafalous
    @FlamingHobo said:
    " @pause422 said:
    "
    Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Forcen
    @inkeiren said:

" @Forcen said:

" How do you guys define PC community? Do you think that there will be no multiplayer matches played on the PC version? "

I'm assuming they are referring to clans, dedicated servers, and a pool of players who create custom maps. "
    Oh, well DS and custom maps are out if course. So no modding community. Old news, but not the same thing as a PC community.

But why are Clans and E-sports out of the question? They did all that on the 360 version of cod4 without any problems, so this PC version should handle it without problems?
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By PureRok

Why do people keep talking about Team Fortress 2 when they talk about Modern Warfare 2?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax

Because Valve and Infinity Ward are two different developers. Didn't know that, did you?

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

"We always wanted to be on consoles and Activision saw us as more of a PC developer,"

"And something I'll add to that, Activision also did not want Modern Warfare. They thought working on a modern game was risky and [thought], 'oh my god you can't do that, it's crazy!' They were doing market research to show us we were wrong the whole time," he said."

I'm pretty sure this was always IWs idea to effectively kill off the PC version without alerting Activision to their true intentions. The fact is MW is a console port with miniscule dev time to make it work on PC. The cost of making that PC port is greatly outweighed by the profits from PC sales of the game. This is easy money Activision would never want to just throw away.

IW on the otherhand have made it clear they only want to make console games, and going by their bonehead community manager, only XBOX360 games.

inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By inkeiren
    @Forcen said:
    " @inkeiren said:

" @Forcen said:

I'm assuming they are referring to clans, dedicated servers, and a pool of players who create custom maps. "
    Oh, well DS and custom maps are out if course. So no modding community. Old news, but not the same thing as a PC community. But why are Clans and E-sports out of the question? They did all that on the 360 version of cod4 without any problems, so this PC version should handle it without problems? "
    I don't think clans are out of the question, but I can imagine clans will be less common and less large on the PC side of things for MW2.

I can imagine clans flourishing on the PS3 and Xbox360 versions, though.
    Shibbxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Shibbxyz
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @FlamingHobo said:
    " @pause422 said:
    "
    "
    Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Forcen
    @Shibbxyz said:

" @ajamafalous said:

" @FlamingHobo said:
    " @pause422 said:
    "
    "
    "
    What are you talking about?!:O Be specific please.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CL60
    @Forcen said:
    " @Shibbxyz said:
    " @ajamafalous said:
    " @FlamingHobo said:
    " @pause422 said:
    "
    "
    "
    What are you talking about!:O Be specific please. "
    wut?
    flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By flaminghobo
    @CL60 said:
    " @Forcen said:
    " @Shibbxyz said:
    " @ajamafalous said:
    " @FlamingHobo said:
    " @pause422 said:
    "
    "
    "
    What are you talking about!:O Be specific please. "
    wut? "
    What's to be specific about? It'll have little to no community, at all.
    withateethuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By withateethuh
    @pause422 said:
    " MW2 will literally have no PC community. "
    I say its a huge possibility that you're wrong.
    Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Forcen
    @FlamingHobo said:

" What's to be specific about? It'll have little to no community, at all. "

How do you guys define PC community? Do you think that there will be no multiplayer matches played on the PC version? 
    And also you are quoting a person saying.  "MW2 will literally have no PC community. "
    Shibbxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shibbxyz

I define a pc community as a server i could go to regularly to play with a clan and pretty much the same people most of the time where i can have fun
    now what i believe is going to happen is the pc community will not exsist as each game i join  will be with random people everytime and i cant play with a clan unless i join the clan first, which i don't want to do i would much rather get to play with random clans and find one which feels right and i dont think that will work in mw2
    i hope im wrong and that mw2 on pc works well but ill have to wait for reviews on such matters before i go buy it

lolgreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By lolgreg
    @ajamafalous said:
    " @FlamingHobo said:
    " @pause422 said:
    "
    "
    I'll just go ahead and quote it again.  I highly doubt I'd still be playing TF2 if it weren't for its community.  I can see MW2's online multiplayer on the PC looking similar to that of TF2's on the PS3/360 a few months after release.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iamjohn

The difference is that Valve is a PC-focused developer who does not give a fuck about consoles whereas Infinity Ward is a console-focused developer who does not give a fuck about PC.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Jimbo

Hardly, IW are hastily stitching a Console badge on to their sleeve because that's where the money is now.  I don't think they were even owned by Activision when they were developing the PC-exclusive Call of Duty, so the whole 'bad Activision men made us do it' angle doesn't really fly.  If they were, somehow, forced to start their franchise on PC then they should thank whoever made them do it, because it's turned out pretty well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.