Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

The RPG-7, Danger Close, and 3 A.M.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sarumarine

One thing I have to give Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer mode is just when things seem like they're slowing down, you unlock a sweet new weapon and everything gets awesome again. I recently got the RPG-7 which is so much fun for a rocket launcher that it's everything I expect from that term "rocket launcher". A lot of games have this problem where you get a Rocket Launcher and it's an underwhelming experience. Somehow they manage to make a shoulder fired explosive death weapon feel like a firecracker show. Borderlands has this problem. You shoot anything from a vehicle to a guy who isn't wearing a shirt and it doesn't do any damage. In Modern Warfare 2, you fire an RPG-7 with Danger Close equipped and things die like they should when they get hit with a speeding explosive projectile. It's especially gratifying when you shoot into a window and someone gets blown up. Even when someone jumps in front of me and I kill myself and them with the RPG-7 it's always worth it, every time. Shooting down air support with the RPG-7 is even more awesome. Finally, I'm that random enemy on a roof with a superior position blowing up shit with rockets. It's just a shame it has iron sights instead of a scope. Although, I'm not sure how much a scope would help considering how wild the rocket is once you fire it. (ACOG for the RPG! Think about it Infinity Ward. Please?)

Also, I've learned that all the insanely good people play Modern Warfare at 3 in the morning. It's kind of hard to avoid them since I work the third shift at my job so I've become a night owl. The best opportunity I have to play MW2 is late at night so I run into all kind of crazy good people. One time I was playing Ground War and there was this dude who deployed the Tactical Nuke three games in a row. No one could stop him. He nuked my Care Package AC-130! If he was playing, people were getting wiped off the map. I wish I had the presence of mind to spectate him because it was something else. From what I could tell, it was all sniper rifles and the PP2000. The Chopper Gunner didn't help either but it was impressive all the same. One game I was on his team, the other two times I was force fed a nuclear device. It gets tough to go after people like that because if you screw up, you're just feeding a killstreak and you're not helping. I definitely tried to stop him, and got a face full of Machine Pistol for my trouble.

I started thinking it would be funny if a map was removed from the rotation for an hour or so after it was "blown away" by a Tac Nuke. Where's Skidrow? NUKED. What happened to Quarry? Turned INTO DUST! If you nuke every map, people are kicked out to find a new game type or join a new group. But never mind, that's just bitter thoughts after getting destroyed one too many times in a row.

Another game there was a dude who was some sort of savant with the Grenade Launcher. On Karachi, he managed to mortar the Navy SEALS spawn area from the OpFor position and killed two guys in the twenty seconds of the game. I was one of them. The Killcam was especially funny because it was just footage of a grenade flying through the air with serious hang time before plummeting to the ground. He had a combination of One Man Army + Grenade Launcher which I've come to call the "One Man Mortar Team". I can't think of a better term, especially on a map like Wasteland where he was shooting blindly to the other side of the map and getting a few kills here and there. Again, I was one of the casualties. It's an interesting way to play and it's about as close as you can get to an artillery strike in this game. But I don't think I could get used to One Man Army and a grenade launcher. I enjoy shooting too much. Especially with SMGs like the P90 and the Silenced MP5K (kinda like Crew Expendable in MW). Plus I have the RPG-7 which is obscenely fun and works best with OpFor and Spetsnaz character models. If you use the RPG-7, you ARE Expendable Minion #43 who shoots down the player's Evac Chopper in level 3. There's no way around it.

Lastly, you don't normally hear a lot of anything intelligent over XLBA Chat, but I heard a gem a day or two ago. Someone was ranting on and on about the usual stuff you'd expect. I got around to muting them before hearing too much. Then, a few seconds later someone quietly replied-

"Cool story bro. Check out my air strike, son."
    Stealth Bomber triple kill. 

I thought it was hilarious because it sounded so very Giant Bomb. Jeff and Ryan to be specific. It's probably more of a "you had to be there" which means it probably isn't very funny at all. But at 4 in the morning, all bets are off.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sarumarine

One thing I have to give Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer mode is just when things seem like they're slowing down, you unlock a sweet new weapon and everything gets awesome again. I recently got the RPG-7 which is so much fun for a rocket launcher that it's everything I expect from that term "rocket launcher". A lot of games have this problem where you get a Rocket Launcher and it's an underwhelming experience. Somehow they manage to make a shoulder fired explosive death weapon feel like a firecracker show. Borderlands has this problem. You shoot anything from a vehicle to a guy who isn't wearing a shirt and it doesn't do any damage. In Modern Warfare 2, you fire an RPG-7 with Danger Close equipped and things die like they should when they get hit with a speeding explosive projectile. It's especially gratifying when you shoot into a window and someone gets blown up. Even when someone jumps in front of me and I kill myself and them with the RPG-7 it's always worth it, every time. Shooting down air support with the RPG-7 is even more awesome. Finally, I'm that random enemy on a roof with a superior position blowing up shit with rockets. It's just a shame it has iron sights instead of a scope. Although, I'm not sure how much a scope would help considering how wild the rocket is once you fire it. (ACOG for the RPG! Think about it Infinity Ward. Please?)

Also, I've learned that all the insanely good people play Modern Warfare at 3 in the morning. It's kind of hard to avoid them since I work the third shift at my job so I've become a night owl. The best opportunity I have to play MW2 is late at night so I run into all kind of crazy good people. One time I was playing Ground War and there was this dude who deployed the Tactical Nuke three games in a row. No one could stop him. He nuked my Care Package AC-130! If he was playing, people were getting wiped off the map. I wish I had the presence of mind to spectate him because it was something else. From what I could tell, it was all sniper rifles and the PP2000. The Chopper Gunner didn't help either but it was impressive all the same. One game I was on his team, the other two times I was force fed a nuclear device. It gets tough to go after people like that because if you screw up, you're just feeding a killstreak and you're not helping. I definitely tried to stop him, and got a face full of Machine Pistol for my trouble.

I started thinking it would be funny if a map was removed from the rotation for an hour or so after it was "blown away" by a Tac Nuke. Where's Skidrow? NUKED. What happened to Quarry? Turned INTO DUST! If you nuke every map, people are kicked out to find a new game type or join a new group. But never mind, that's just bitter thoughts after getting destroyed one too many times in a row.

Another game there was a dude who was some sort of savant with the Grenade Launcher. On Karachi, he managed to mortar the Navy SEALS spawn area from the OpFor position and killed two guys in the twenty seconds of the game. I was one of them. The Killcam was especially funny because it was just footage of a grenade flying through the air with serious hang time before plummeting to the ground. He had a combination of One Man Army + Grenade Launcher which I've come to call the "One Man Mortar Team". I can't think of a better term, especially on a map like Wasteland where he was shooting blindly to the other side of the map and getting a few kills here and there. Again, I was one of the casualties. It's an interesting way to play and it's about as close as you can get to an artillery strike in this game. But I don't think I could get used to One Man Army and a grenade launcher. I enjoy shooting too much. Especially with SMGs like the P90 and the Silenced MP5K (kinda like Crew Expendable in MW). Plus I have the RPG-7 which is obscenely fun and works best with OpFor and Spetsnaz character models. If you use the RPG-7, you ARE Expendable Minion #43 who shoots down the player's Evac Chopper in level 3. There's no way around it.

Lastly, you don't normally hear a lot of anything intelligent over XLBA Chat, but I heard a gem a day or two ago. Someone was ranting on and on about the usual stuff you'd expect. I got around to muting them before hearing too much. Then, a few seconds later someone quietly replied-

"Cool story bro. Check out my air strike, son."
    Stealth Bomber triple kill. 

I thought it was hilarious because it sounded so very Giant Bomb. Jeff and Ryan to be specific. It's probably more of a "you had to be there" which means it probably isn't very funny at all. But at 4 in the morning, all bets are off.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By neoepoch

You know what my problem is with RPGs in almost every game? When you fire at a helicopter and the RPG passes by the spinning blades without damaging them at all. I mean seriously dude! Helicopter blades have to spinning at fairly high RPMs right? So how is it that every RPG that I fire, doesn't hit the blades. I mean I may have missed the fuselage, but if the rocket is still going upward and about to hit the blades...it should.

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By btman
    @neoepoch said:
    " You know what my problem is with RPGs in almost every game? When you fire at a helicopter and the RPG passes by the spinning blades without damaging them at all. I mean seriously dude! Helicopter blades have to spinning at fairly high RPMs right? So how is it that every RPG that I fire, doesn't hit the blades. I mean I may have missed the fuselage, but if the rocket is still going upward and about to hit the blades...it should. "
    i agree
    myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By myslead

Danger Close is aaaaamazing
    use some noobtube with that, it's godlike.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Ineedaname
    @myslead said:
    " Danger Close is aaaaamazing use some noobtube with that, it's godlike. "

As cheap as that is, it's incredibly fun.
    I know when I'm doing it I'm being cheap, and I'd hate it if they were to do it, but it's just so fun.
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sarumarine
    @neoepoch: 
    If I remember correctly, Grand Theft Auto 4 was one of the few games that gave you an RPG helicopter kill if you shot the rotors. But yeah, it almost sounds like a Mythbusters-esque challenge of "how often do rockets pass through helicopter rotors without hitting anything?".
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Ineedaname said:
    " @myslead said:
     As cheap as that is, it's incredibly fun. I know when I'm doing it I'm being cheap, and I'd hate it if they were to do it, but it's just so fun. "
    I felt really guilty for doing that. It's the best damn way to Pro Danger Close though.

I'm sorry for everyone who I noobtubed that day.

I don't regret killing you all with a Pavelow however.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By sjschmidt93

Yeah, it's fucking stupid. 

That stuff has it's place in singleplayer but in multiplayer... it's OP.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sarumarine

I've used Danger Close and the Grenade Launcher a few times. I don't want to be "that fucking Grenade Launcher guy", but I really wanted the shotgun attachment for the FAMAS. I might have to do it again soon for the FAL.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I went 86 - 3 on domination with Danger Close, One Man Army and a Noob Toob on the Tar. It is indeed very powerful, and very fun to use. Cheap as hell though.

It's great fun at 3am also :) As you said yourself, thats when the magic happens. All sorts of people who actually are good at the game, and don't swear profusely at you for no reason come on-line. The 13 year old kids are gone to bed. 

And get this. On Derail, if you start on the side where the parked train and the majority of the buildings are overlooking the Forrest area, You shoot a random Noob Toob in the direction of the enemy spawn, there is a possibility that you can hit a propane tank that could possibly take out the entire team. Got a 4 person kill this way in the first 6 seconds of the match. Would have loved to have seen the kill-cam :)

Haven't used the RPG much yet though :(

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Sarumarine said:
    " I've used Danger Close and the Grenade Launcher a few times. I don't want to be "that fucking Grenade Launcher guy", but I really wanted the shotgun attachment for the FAMAS. I might have to do it again soon for the FAL. "
    It's hard but there's no other way. Come to think of it, all of those "fucking Grenade Launcher guys" could be thinking the same thing for all we know. I have to admit though, getting 3+ kills with one grenade is gold (assuming you've gotten fairly as opposed to randomly launching them around the place, that's just cheap.) I don't know which timeline you're in my friend but where ever it is I'm staying well away from it!
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sarumarine
    @CornontheCobbe: 
    Wow. I don't think you'll get those kind of results with the RPG-7 but you will get to blow people up. I think the biggest lure with the One Man Mortar Team set up is that it sounds like the best way to get to your killstreaks. The highest one I've ever pulled legitimately is the Harrier Strike. I mean I've killed more than seven dudes in a row before but I didn't have the proper killstreak equipped at the time. It sounds really easy to get something like 11 or 15. I can't say I could complain getting more AC-130 gunships or Chopper Gunners without using the Care Package.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By kenya24
    @neoepoch said:

" You know what my problem is with RPGs in almost every game? When you fire at a helicopter and the RPG passes by the spinning blades without damaging them at all. I mean seriously dude! Helicopter blades have to spinning at fairly high RPMs right? So how is it that every RPG that I fire, doesn't hit the blades. I mean I may have missed the fuselage, but if the rocket is still going upward and about to hit the blades...it should. "

But the blades on your own team's chopper will block your predator missle...
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @myslead said:
    its like playing in god mode, therefore zero skill required. 
    myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By myslead
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @myslead said:
    its like playing in god mode, therefore zero skill required.  "
    bah, my scores are usually pretty much the same using the noobtube and not using the noobtube
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Kyreo
    @CornontheCobbe: you can do the same trick on Wasteland.  This happened to me and it killed me and 3 others in the first 6 seconds of the game...
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Kyreo
    @neoepoch said:
    Actually this is totally (simply put) wrong.  I always aim for the Blades in MW2 and hit 80 percent of the time.  I dont know about other shooters youve played but... you should go into a private match or something and test this out.  Bullets hit the blades as well...  just sayin.
    mr_korean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mr_korean
    @Sarumarine said:
    " @neoepoch:  If I remember correctly, Grand Theft Auto 4 was one of the few games that gave you an RPG helicopter kill if you shot the rotors. But yeah, it almost sounds like a Mythbusters-esque challenge of "how often do rockets pass through helicopter rotors without hitting anything?". "
    Plus shooting the blades resulted in some of the best helicopter-blowing-up shoot outs.
    KennyPowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KennyPowers

Late night is definitely the best time for good competitive games.   

I never knew this was possible, but the other night I shot a harrier with an RPG and the explosion took out the harrier I shot as well as another harrier and a Pavelow.  I'd never seen that and it was pretty damn awesome.

Lolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Lolo

I've also noticed a huge spike in the quality of opponents at night.  Not quite sure why that is, but it's a lot more enjoyable because they also seem to be the people who care about objectives rather than K/D.  My Dominations are usually pretty close at night and total blowouts one way or the other during the day.  Maybe it has something to do with the kids having their bedtime?

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Sarumarine
    @Lolo: 
    Yeah, nearly all the Domination games I play are neck and neck. During the day it wasn't too hard to secure a capture point all by myself, but during the night you have to roll with a few people to make any attempt a good one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.