Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Your MW2 Comic Book...sighs.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zereta
    **Update**: Modern Warfare 2: GHOST comic series on ComicVine.com.

http://twitter.com/fourzerotwo/status/3324722252

Seriously people? I mean, I'm all for Modern Warfare 2. I'm sure its going to be a great game and all but I don't think its the type of franchise (is that even the right word? Is it a franchise) that warrants or can be succesffully expanded out to these other pieces of media. 
    I mean, you could argue that Halo did it and did it to a much higher extent but it makes sense there. The Halo Fiction is extremely broad due to the little story seeds that have been planted since the first game and progressively in the subsequent games and other pieces of media. I mean, it all ties into the same issues of Halo in the end. And they explore areas outside of the fiction established by the games. With the only exception thus far being Halo: The Flood. 

I don't think the same rules apply for Modern Warfare 2 just because its hard to think of MW as a franchise with a broad fiction. The story in the first one was  your traditional terrorist story and the only seed planted was right at the end, and that leads straight into MW2. I highly doubt a comic based on a character (who looks like the dude in the trailer from before E3, with the mask...probably is him) in MW2 specifically has legs because in can't be based on anything other than the central plot, plot already so focused and defined. And its impossible to try translate the gameplay, which is by far the most intriguing part of MW1 and MW2 and the reason why people keep coming back to it, into the book. 

Hell, if anything, they should have gone and written some hardcore military action books, but even then, I don't think MW, as a franchise, has allowed itself for such lore and I doubt the fans even give a crap for the story anyway, other than as a means to get access to the brilliant set pieces. 

My opinion: Shameless Cash-in. 

Also, I find it funny how this comic is being done by DC and how Halo's comics are done by Marvel. Just sayin.
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Whatever. I saw this when he tweeted it too. And I would say that Modern Warfare could expand into other media quite well, but I'm skeptical on the comics..... Guess we'll have to wait and see....

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zereta
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
    " Whatever. I saw this when he tweeted it too. And I would say that Modern Warfare could expand into other media quite well, but I'm skeptical on the comics..... Guess we'll have to wait and see.... "

I guess my main problem with this is its really focused on one main bad guy right? One huge plot to do something, right? You'll be doing that in the game. The charcters in the story have personalities but they never have been given enough importance to warrant a deeper look into their stories. You want to do that? You attempt to do something in-game first. If people like it, THEN, you go make the comic.
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems to me that the comic will be a different story, if they released it before the game, it would spoil the game, it would spoil they're cinematic experience. If they released it afterward, it would be just the same story we just played. So I'm sure it's going to be some offshoot of the story that you can only learn of through the comics and the scans that will undoubtedly appear.

And about the characters, it wouldn't have fit in to go into their characters and have little cut scenes where you get to know them. The comic could be that way to get to know these characters. If I've already learned of them, and the story is the same, then why get the comic, other than for the novelty?

Also, I doubt Infinity Ward really means for this to be some shameless cash-in. I figure one of them just said, "Dude we should make a comic! That would be awesome!" Robert's excitement is probably well warranted, as it's something the nerd in him is truly excited for. It may end up pricey, but it's probably more because of Activision.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Zereta

Which is what I really want to know: How much of this was Infinity Ward going "Dude, we need to make a comic!" and how much was it Activision going "well other much more defined games are doing this and making money out of it. We have to do something like this now"?

MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zereta said:
    " Which is what I really want to know: How much of this was Infinity Ward going "Dude, we need to make a comic!" and how much was it Activision going "well other much more defined games are doing this and making money out of it. We have to do something like this now"? "
    I really believe it was just another idea from Infinity Ward. Lots of games have had comics with their special editions because it gets people pay $10-$20 more for a game because they get some comic that cost them 50 cents a book. But this is a separate product, it has to sell separate of the game, and if it's not a good price with a good amount of content it won't sell, no matter the name. They have to make it good, and if they're already working with DC on it, it's not like it's going to be cheap for them to get it done. They're going to have to sell it right.

How many people would buy the NVG's a separate product for $30 (or w/e the price) just because it says MW2 on it? I know I probably wouldn't, it's only because it's part of the package with the game, that I feel I may as well just go for the highest edition. 

The comic can't cost too much or be too short, or people won't buy past the first one.
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zereta

Hmm, I guess I should give it a bit more of a chance. Maybe MW2 will involve a huge overarching problem being tackled from multiple fronts and these characters are actually interesting.  

And we'll go to mystical space rings, in hot pursuit of Makerov, with only a naked Soap hologram as a companion. 

Oh wait.

MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zereta said:
    " Hmm, I guess I should give it a bit more of a chance. Maybe MW2 will involve a huge overarching problem being tackled from multiple fronts and these characters are actually interesting."
    Yeah, I dunno what it's going to be about. But if it's in six parts, they all have to be good, and well done, otherwise making any after the first would be useless.
    "And we'll go to mystical space rings, in hot pursuit of Makerov, with only a naked Soap hologram as a companion.  Oh wait. "
    That sounds cool, they should hire you! =p
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ArchScabby

Don't worry.  "It's hardcore."

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SocietySays

I have no doubt in my mind that this is a cash-in. And if anyone thinks the Halo books were not, I shake my head at you!  Were the Halo books any good? That’s a matter of opinion.  

I think a comic book is a great place to try branching out. And I personally have been looking for a good war-related comic for some time now. 
    If all goes well with there initial six parts, I hope they continue. And possibly create a half-hour cartoon!

As for your concern for there not being enough of or good material, the game is based on a fictional war. There is a ton of material there. It does not always have to deal with characters we are familiar within the series; I actually would prefer it not to be. I don't want to sound like some conspiracy theory nut case here, but certain things happen on the battlefield and in war-zones that don't get covered by the media. (Yeah, I totally sound like a conspiracy theory nut!) No, you know what I mean though, I hope. I have never seen actual combat myself but I would assume some "shady" things happen, moral decisions to be made all that fun stuff. Things like that can be translated into other media just fine. I would argue even better then in a video game.     

You say it looks like a character from the trailer of MW 2. If it is in-fact him that character could have something happen to him in the game that the game itself does not explore (We all know that happens in games allot) and the comic will fill in the blanks. 

One last thing, if you had the opportunity to turn a few million into a few hundred million would you not try?          (Don't reply with no, we all know that is BS)  The comic may be crap but you can't blame them for milking there cash cow.

JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JDDrewes

I don't care about the comic books and I'm not going to read them. That said, I really hope that it does a completely different story than Modern Warfare 2. One of the things I didn't like about Halo is that if you wanted to know everything that was going on in the game, you had to read the books, understand the throwbacks to other games, play all the games, read the development, the Halo comic books, trailer for Halo movie, etc. I loved how in COD4 you only had to watch the loading screens in order to understand what was going on. It was a pretty simple plot, but it was great, and they integrated it into the story really well. I don't want MW2 to be cluttered up with references, different factions, a bunch of plots and motives, etc. I want a story that you can understand 100% if you just play COD4 and MW2.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zereta

Oh my entire example with Halo was that it made sense sorta to do it. There was enough fiction to tap into to make that viable and still not feel too contrived. 

I like how COD4 does the story as well. It tells you all that they need you to. Which is precisely why I'm against this whole idea. MW2 doesn't need this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.