Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Monster Hunter: World

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jan 26, 2018

The fifth primary title in the Monster Hunter franchise features much larger maps, seamless transitions between zones in the map and four-player online co-op. It allows players from Japan and western countries to play together for the first time in the series.

Monster Hunter World will get free DLC

rempresent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Just like the other Monster Hunter games, MoHunWo will also get free DLC from Capcom. In the past it has been new armor sets, different monster types to fight and arena challenges. Since we have seen a few more videos with Hunters going through the new zones, we don't really know what kind of DLC we will be getting but can guess it would be similar to the previous games. Since there is no Nintendo Switch release of MoHunWo, we won't get the usual Link or Samus armors so I am really interested what they cook up with the other platforms.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

In the past, hasn't all the DLC been more like mission packs? I've played a lot of MonHun but never engaged with the DLC since there's more than enough quests in the main game that I don't need a different variant of an Azure Rathalos on an obscure map to keep me playing. I know they added stuff like the Mario cat armour and they've already confirmed they are looking into interesting collaborations for the new platforms but that doesn't interest me at all either.

I'd much rather hear if they will add new maps/returning monsters from the old games as DLC in the future. I'd be willing to pay for that kind of content, too.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Teddie

Just as long as it's not another fucking Kratos thing.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sounds good. Monster Hunter is one of the few games I would have no problem buying DLC for or even a Season Pass but sure, free is fine too.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

That's great news. I am so pumped to be able to finally play Monster hunter on a real controller. I played tri on wii mote, 3 ultimate on the wii u tablet thing and the 3ds ones on the small ass 3ds. I always wanted to play a monster hunter on an ergonomically satisfying controller and soon I will.

I know I could have gotten the pro controller for some of them but I don't like spending a bunch of money on optional peripherals.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why I thought this was going to be a F2P thing. This is sounding better and better.

Bring Monster Hunter XX to the US motherfuckers.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

That's bad news. I have too many games to play already, I was kind of hoping Monster Hunter would be too shady to bother getting into.

Not actually bad news, you know what I mean.

rempresent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

In the past, hasn't all the DLC been more like mission packs?

Yeah, it is never anything substantial and it is usually based of the assets that are in the game to begin with (no new environments). The only new assets show up are armor, palico armor or new backgrounds for your guild card. Since World is so different, I would think that they would get a new map out and maybe another monster. I think they have been hamstrung by the smaller platforms, or just Nintendo platforms, that I can guess that we can see something surprising out of Capcom.

@omega said:

I know I could have gotten the pro controller for some of them but I don't like spending a bunch of money on optional peripherals.

Likewise. I have bought about five 3DS cases or handles from Japan and Amazon US and it is getting harder to put money into just being comfortable while playing. It's really shitty being a 6'3" guy with large hands but I never had an issue with the claw in the PSP MoHun games.

Overall, this feels like a redo of Monster Hunter. Remove the limitations, put it on multiple platforms, show people what hunting feels like and the joy of creating armor from your hunts. I think the quality of life improvements to World will translate and we will be hunting around with more people with a higher success rate due to reliability of a more powerful platform.

Can't wait.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omega: pff forget about the controller, I can't wait to play it with actual big boy graphics for a change! Plus letting go of the sectioned map will be soooo goooood.

I just really hope they don't dumb it down too much... there's a co-op video where apparently there's a new thing that always points at the monster no matter what, so I guess you don't even need to paintball them anymore

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omega said:

Likewise. I have bought about five 3DS cases or handles from Japan and Amazon US and it is getting harder to put money into just being comfortable while playing. It's really shitty being a 6'3" guy with large hands but I never had an issue with the claw in the PSP MoHun games.

The thing is, the claw is actually still better for playing this game than a PS4 or Xbox controller. With the fact that the game relies on you being able to press the face buttons at all time, having to move your thumb to an analogue stick is detrimental to being able to play well.

It's shitty to have to buy weird peripherals, but I willingly imported this monstrosity from Japan so I could move the camera and attack at the same time in MH4U (I already owned the Western Circle Pad Pro from 3).

No Caption Provided

The fact this allowed you to do the claw in an ergonomically friendly way was glorious. I'm gunna miss it.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I've only seen a little bit of it being played as of yet, but it's looking good. For now my only remaining worry has been if it's going to have enough content compared to what I've gotten used to, considering the games I've played have built upon a lot on pre-existing content.

I remember reading that having unified the US and EU online playerbases as well as having a roadmap of free DLC updates, was something Capcom considered to be important contributors to the increased success of the later games in he west. With that in mind I can understand why they would keep doing it. I would still probably get a Season Pass of sorts if they decided to do one as well, if it guaranteed a few new monsters to fight. Not sure of how worried they'd be over splitting their userbase that way though, maybe they'll actually stick to their usual path with these games and just sell another version of it the following year, even if that method is considered a bit antiquated.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zeik

I was watching a Gamescom interview earlier and it sounds like they also have some other plans for additional content beyond traditional DLC, like server wide events and the like. It sounds like they definitely have plans for more crossovers too. I really wonder what that would be now that it's multiplatform.

On the subject of the controls, I hate hate hate "the claw". Not only because I find it uncomfortable, but the very fact that those handheld games were designed knowing that you basically needed to do it just kinda pissed me off. The last time I really enjoyed a MH game was Tri on Wii with a Pro Controller. I'm excited about the gameplay improvements I'm seeing, but even if it ended up being a step back I'd still probably enjoy it more than any MH in years. I can't imagine removing your thumb from the face buttons for half a second will be detrimental, but even if it is I don't give a fuck.

Although I have realized only recently while trying to play the 3DS games that having a big screen to play on will also be an enormous boon. There's just too much going on in these games for a tiny portable screen.

I really really hope this game does well. I want this to be the future of MH, not just a one-off experiment.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

I can't imagine removing your thumb from the face buttons for half a second will be detrimental, but even if it is I don't give a fuck.

It's mostly when you are turning the camera to get the monster back in to view, and then you suddenly realise it's on your ass and you need to dodge instantly - the time moving your thumb from a stick to the dodge button can be enough to get hit. You can also continue attacking longer if you can rotate the camera to keep the monster in view while doing a combo. But! That said, I know using a standard dual analogue controller will be a huge improvement for the vast majority of people, and make the game more accessible. It's definitely better than using a stock 3DS with no peripherals.

I've only seen a little bit of it being played as of yet, but it's looking good. For now my only remaining worry has been if it's going to have enough content compared to what I've gotten used to, considering the games I've played have built upon a lot on pre-existing content.

Yeah there's a lot of concern about this. They keep saying there is going to be as much "story" content as previous MonHun games, and they know that fans expect an "epic" experience. But, the multiplayer quests usually vastly outnumber the story quests in a traditional MonHun game, and the fact they are continually dodging whether or not G-rank exists is concerning. At the very least I'm hopeful that if the game doesn't launch with it they will have the option to add it in the future.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.