Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 16, 2008

The supernatural kombatants of Mortal Kombat collide with the superheroes of the DC Universe in this crossover fighting game by Midway.

So, is it worth $30?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe looks like an interesting game but I am not sure if it is worth the price since of the mixed reviews it got. 

How did people like the game? The main reason I want it is because I just got a fighting stick and am looking for some good fighting games to play (I already have SFIV and Tekken 6). 

So...what is the verdict?

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By c1337us

I borrowed it off my boss for the weekend once. It was alright but I am glad I didn't pay for it.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jeffsekai

no

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By rjayb89

In my experience, compared with other Mortal Kombat games there really isn't much to do - not very much to unlock as everything is pretty given to you from the start (characters, stages all unlocked I think from the get-go).  The online community is weak as far as I know as well, I checked GameFAQs and apparently maybe about 50 dudes online in the whole world are still playing it, but that was from a thread about 2 months ago.  All you can really rely on is your interest in playing the DC characters which really was the selling point of the game and the only interesting thing about it.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By c1337us
    @rjayb89: I think there might be a few more then 50. But then maybe not. Now that I think about it, it was about 18 months ago when I was playing.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Bump!

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By beargirl1

i can't say it's great.  

buuut..  

@Jeffsekai said:

" no "
    that is all 
    FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By FirePrince

Me and my friend FUCKING RIPPED THIS DAMN GAME APPART.For 30 minutes,and a ton of matches,we bitched,over and OVER. 
    This.Game.Sucks.All the balls in the world.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#9  Edited By Jazz

No, its an awful game. 
    I can see what they tried to do, but its about as much fun to play as being hit in the face with a fish. 
    I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Even if you were the worlds biggest Wally West fan.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Wow...I thought that 5 stars at least meant a decent game at minimum. 

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By MAST
    @NekuSakuraba said:

" Wow...I thought that 5 stars at least meant a decent game at minimum.  "

It is a great fighting game, and it is worth 30. It's not perfect, but it's still really good. Don't listen to all the haters. Most of the people that have replied to your thread are members that live on the Street Fighter 4 forum. They are all Street Fighter snobs that can't appreciate other fighting games... And besides. Are you going to take Jeff's word for it, or a bunch of random forum nobodies? Jeff's opinion has way more value, and he gave it a 5 out of 5.

People that say it's "awful" or "terrible" are such sensationalistic prats. They don't deserve to be heard. I'm not saying you can't dislike it, or say it's not your cup of tea, but some of the people in this thread are acting like it's a completely broken piece of garbage, and that's absolutely untrue.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Jeust
    @MAST said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    It is a great fighting game, and it is worth 30. Don't listen to all the haters. Most of the people that have replied to your thread are members that live on the Street Fighter 4 forum. They are all Street Fighter snobs that can't appreciate other fighting games... And besides. Are you going to take Jeff's word for it, or a bunch of random forum nobodies? Jeff's opinion has way more value, and he gave it a 5 out of 5. "
    Jeff word is GOD. 

But apart from the funny comment, the game is good, although it provokes mixed feelings on people. You should try it first before buying it.
    tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tunaburn

DO NOT BUY IT! rent it. it takes about 2 hours to beat the story mode. and the online is dead. i got on recently and only had 12 people in the lobbies. played the same 3 guys over and over and all of them simply spammed the fireballs with liu kang and shang tsung.  the story mode is fun but the multiplayer is gone.  GONE! dont forget its rated t for teen. barely any blood. no real fatalities. its not mortal kombat. its just a random fighting game using the characters. 

p.s. im not kidding there were 12 people online playing.

p.p.s.  im not a street fighter snob. both games were equally fun offline. but there is NOONE playing anymore. wait til its like 20 bucks and get it ONLY IF YOU HAVE PEOPLE TO PLAY AGAINST IN PERSON!

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By chstupid

Well I like it.
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MAST
    @tunaburn said:
    "I'm not kidding there were 12 people online playing.  p.p.s.  im not a street fighter snob. both games were equally fun offline. but there is NOONE playing anymore. wait til its like 20 bucks and get it ONLY IF YOU HAVE PEOPLE TO PLAY AGAINST IN PERSON! "
    This is accurate. It's a good game, but there aren't really anybody playing it online anymore... Actually, I take that back. There are people playing it online, but it's the same hardcore group of people that have the game down to an art, and will basically just destroy you over and over. But then again, Super Street Fighter 4 isn't much different. It's the same deal, just with a bigger group of hardcore players.

I tend to forget that online multiplayer is a factor for some people. I personally don't care about it. My online experience in fighting games is always poor. If I'm not lagging extremely bad, then I'm playing against someone that's so far beyond my skill level that I get absolutely nothing out of the match. I tend to recommend fighting games based on whether I have fun playing it with my friends locally. Not whether the online is good, and well populated. 
    Let's face it, online in fighting game usually digresses to the point where it's just the most awesomely skilled players playing it online. No fighting game is really exempt from that. So unless you plan to dedicate so much time to the fighting game that you can run with the best. Then you might as well just buy two copies of a fighting game, give one to your friend that lives somewhat close to you, and just do private matches with him online. Or better yet, have a bunch of friends that come to your house regularly, and bypass the online altogether. You'll always have a better, smoother experience offline anyway.

My point was mainly that the OP should ignore the people that say it's awful, because it's not. People make MK vs. DC out to be some completely broken, horribly buggy game that barely plays, and that couldn't be further from the truth.
    destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By destruktive

I liked it. 
    It's a fun little MK game

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan
    @MAST said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

It is a great fighting game, and it is worth 30. It's not perfect, but it's still really good. Don't listen to all the haters. Most of the people that have replied to your thread are members that live on the Street Fighter 4 forum. They are all Street Fighter snobs that can't appreciate other fighting games... And besides. Are you going to take Jeff's word for it, or a bunch of random forum nobodies? Jeff's opinion has way more value, and he gave it a 5 out of 5.  People that say it's "awful" or "terrible" are such sensationalistic prats. They don't deserve to be heard. I'm not saying you can't dislike it, or say it's not your cup of tea, but some of the people in this thread are acting like it's a completely broken piece of garbage, and that's absolutely untrue. "
     People that are active members of the SFIV forums definitely play other fighting games, and that post was just way too dickish to go unnoticed. Jeff isn't some kind of messiah either, he's just a guy. An incredibly funny guy, but still just a guy, so his opinion on the matter should carry as much weight as anyone else.
    @NekuSakuraba: I'd ask yourself how much you enjoyed the other 3D MK games. Also Amazon has it for cheaper than $30. (Sorry for the bold, completely unintended)
    Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

I watched a friend play it on the PS3, and I was very unimpressed, the combos and fatalities were so bland and basic

Senor_T_Dub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Senor_T_Dub

While there is definitely some fun to be had, you could probably stand to wait for the next round of price drops. I would be willing to bet it will dip to under $15 on Amazon.com in the next couple of months as warehouse space becomes an issue for the next wave of holiday releases. Another idea is to rent it and see for yourself, a five dollar investment isn't a bad deal when it may save your $25. Additionally, I find that many of the Mortal Kombat games have supremely cheap A.I. and, as mentioned above, if no one is online you're going to be at the mercy of your local friends. If you don't have anyone to play it with then I would say pass. Finally, if you are looking at it for Achievement/Trophy Padding (and I won't judge here!), the game is supposedly really frustrating and time consuming,  Xbox360achievements.org lists the time to completion at around 100 hours, or the time it would take to complete two or three better games.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MAST
    @OwnlyUzinWonHan said:

"People that are active members of the SFIV forums definitely play other fighting games, and that post was just way too dickish to go unnoticed."

Yeah, they probably do. Long enough to say "Bah, another fighting game that's not as good as Street Fighter. Screw this!" and then go back to playing SF. Thus... Fighting game snobs. Sure, there are exceptions. There are people that love fighting games a ton in general, and will play and like anything. Including Street Fighter. However, most of the people posting in this thread that are going on about how awful MK vs. DC is are hardcore Street Fighter players. If you were a fan of fighting games in general, you would be able to admit that MK vs. DC is a decently fun fighting game, and a well playing fighting game. So I rest my case. 

What I'm saying (and what I'm about to say) is further supported by the fact that most of the members on this website that bash MK (and other fighting games) have a fking 2D, pixelated Street Fighter character as their avatar picture. I think that, and the fact that I regularly see those people bashing anything that's not Street Fighter says a lot.

@OwnlyUzinWonHan said:

"Jeff isn't some kind of messiah either, he's just a guy. An incredibly funny guy, but still just a guy, so his opinion on the matter should carry as much weight as anyone else."

Fact one: Jeff's opinion matters to everyone here. More then some random forum persons opinion. Don't try and act like it doesn't. You wouldn't be frequenting a website that he is a co-founder of, and posting on the forums of said website if you didn't care about his opinion.

Fact two: Jeff has been around, and involved with games for a long time. Longer then the lifetime of some of the forum members on this website. He's been reviewing games longer then some have been playing games. He knows when a game is good, and he knows when it is flawed, and he's not afraid to come out and say when one is flawed. For example, he personally loved Alpha Protocol, but that didn't stop him from giving it 3 stars, and being extremely candid about the games flaws, and faults. If MK vs. DC was a flawed fighting game, or even a buggy game in general, then he wouldn't have given it five stars. 
    And that's exactly why when I see someone that normally posts on the SF4 forums coming in here saying MK vs. DC is a bad game, it's easy to call them fighting game snobs, because I know I'm right. If they were genuine fighting game fans, and not biased towards Street Fighter. Then they would be able to look at MK vs. DC and see a decent fighting game, even if it isn't their cup of tea, or the fighting game they prefer. Instead they come into this thread and say it "sucks" it's "awful" or it's "garbage." And that's completely incorrect. In order for a game to be those things, it would have to be broken in lots of different ways, and have lots of bugs. In addition, a veteran, well-respected game journalist wouldn't have given it 5 stars.

Fact three: Broad, negative statements about games that scored above 70 metacritically like the ones people have made in this thread should be ignored. Always. Hell, when Uncharted 2 came out, I actually saw a few people say they thought it was "completely broken garbage..." They said this about Uncharted 2. U N C H A R T E D 2! That reeks of ulterior motives, most likely Xbox fanboys trying to downplay a genre defining PS3 exclusive. Now, you could say "well that's just their opinion," but no, you can't say that because it's factually incorrect. For the game to be "broken" it actually has to be broken, and Uncharted 2 was not. 
    I could go outside on a bright, sunny day and say "The Sun is Blue, not yellow. That's my opinion. Opinions are never wrong." but I would be wrong, because that's not an opinion, it's something that's factually incorrect. Similarly, people saying MK vs. DC is "garbage," "awful," or "broken" are also factually incorrect. Or are making comments that are based on some ulterior motive like I mentioned above. Most likely Street Fighter fanboys trying to keep any other fighting franchise from becoming as popular. Probably because they are really good at SF, and not so good at MK (or other fighting games). Fact of the matter is. MK vs. DC, while it has some flaws to be sure. Is a fantastic fighting game, and should be experienced, and enjoyed if you call yourself a fan of the fighter genre. Otherwise you're not a fan of the genre, you are a fan of a game. Singular. And judging by most peoples attitude, that game would be Street Fighter.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @MAST: What do people dislike about the game besides of the fact of there being no gore?
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NekuSakuraba

What do people dislike about the game besides of the fact of there being no gore?    

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan
    @NekuSakuraba:
    The Problem I have always had with Mortal Kombat games is the way they feel to play. It's just stiff and not fun. The animation does not look natural at all, the controls and general feel and flow of the fighting has the same issue. So if you don't mind stiff, awkward gameplay, go ahead. 
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MAST
    @ImmortalSaiyan said:
    "So if you don't mind stiff, awkward gameplay, go ahead.  "
    Ummm,wrong...

@NekuSakuraba:
    Seriously dude, just figure out a way to give it a try, and decide for yourself. Jeff wouldn't have given it a 5 out of 5 if it was "stiff and awkward" or "buggy, and broken" in some way. It's a perfectly functional, and incredibly fun fighting game. I mean, I could direct nonsensical comments at Street Fighter 4 if I wanted to. I could say SF4 is completely broken, unbalanced, not fun, and looks ugly. None of it would be accurate, just like none of what people are saying about MK vs. DC is accurate, but that doesn't stop people from making absurd comments.

Fighting game people are just snobs the majority of the time. They like to be harsh towards anything that's not their fighting game of choice. That applies to most genre's really. Hardcore Modern Warfare 2 fans do nothing but bash Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and vice versa. The truth is that both games are extremely fun, and well done. You just have to figure out what's more your cup of tea. I personally like MK fighting mechanics way more then Street Fighter mechanics. I tend to like anything MK related over Street Fighter. Which is why I lean towards MK vs. DC over Street Fighter 4, and will probably play MK9 over any other fighting game once it comes out. I'm playing MK vs. DC right now to get some practice in before MK9 comes out.

Whatever you do, don't listen to these people that use sensational comments like "if you like stiff and awkward gameplay, then play MK vs. DC" because it's nothing but lies. I think at this point you've seen that there are just as many people that like MK vs. DC as those that are vocal about not liking it. The only thing left to do is figure out a way to try it, and decide for yourself.
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MAST
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    "  What do people dislike about the game besides of the fact of there being no gore?     "
    ... Oh, and to answer that question more directly. I haven't heard any legitimate complaints about the game. It's not buggy, or glitchy or anything like that. Your best bet is to read other reviews. The number one complaint seems to be the no gore thing, and some reviewers also think that the inclusion of DC characters is a bit lame, and contrived. It probably is, but I don't think it takes away from the gameplay part of it at all. I personally like DC characters so it actually added to the game for me.

If you want to play with me some, add me as a friend to your PS3 (my user name is "MAST83"). You might live too far away from me for us to have a lag free game, but at the very least I can help you get some of the online trophies if you want. There is a "Get a flawless victory online" trophy that I can let you easily get, and you could help me out with that one also.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.