Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mortal Kombat

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Apr 19, 2011

One of the goriest fighting game franchises returns to its roots, introducing a new story that re-tells the events of the first three Mortal Kombat games (with a unique twist).

Thinking About Picking this Game Up

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By VictoryBlixt

Hey all I'm thinking about picking this game up but I have a few questions.

So I'm not really a fighting game guy, it's not that I dislike fighting game it's just that I've never really sat down and tried to seriously play one. The only fighting games I've played are the first 2 mortal kombats and a couple of the PS2 era games. So my question is how hard is to learn how to really play a fighting game (I just mash buttons) and what is the long term appeal of these games because I'm just not sure I wont just get bored of the game after I mess with it a bit. So could someone please sell me on this game and online fighting games in general?
    Any Help is appreciated thanks

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Get it cheap.

Fucking had this game for 2 weeks, and I'm fed up.  Granted it's mostly PSN's fault...but I did everything there's to do so far.

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By VictoryBlixt

I can get the game for 30 bucks

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KaosAngel
    @VictoryBlixt: You talking 3shitty or pieceofshit 3?
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SSully

As someone who is not a fighting game kind of guy either I say go for it. I always wanted to play fighting games, but always found them to be to far over my head.

It is easy to learn because the controls are simple, and they offer so many different ways for you to learn the game. There are tutorials, practice rooms, etc. 
    Even if you dont do those everything in the game starts off at a ground level, the story mode, challenge tower, and everything else. So if you just jump into
    one of the random features of the game you are sure to catch on with what to do. If not as I said there is plenty of other ways to practice.

The long term appeal all depends on if you manage to like the game or not. There is a ton of content in this game, but of course it is all related to just fighting
    dudes. My suggestion to you is to download the demo and try it yourself. I tried the demo and literally played it for about 2-3 hours total just messing around
    with the different fighters. 

Personally I say try the demo, if you like it, buy it. You seem to be in a similar situation I was and I can tell you I am having a hell of a time with this game.
    Good luck duder
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Skytylz

It's really easy to pick up, it's not like SF.  Also, I rented it because I've never really liked an MK game and now I plan to pick it up for $25 or so when I can in my area because I enjoyed it so much.  

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @VictoryBlixt: As someone who generally doesn't play fighting games for more then an hour let alone the original MK, I've had tonnes of fun with it so far. 

• The controls are really snappy and performing moves are easy for almost every character (it's just a matter of when to use them.)
    • Looks great even on my 40" CRT.
    • Challenge Tower gives plenty of single player challenges.
    • Story is structured great for a fighting game and is well presented.
    • Lots of good unlockables in the Krypt.

My only complaint is that one of the bosses (Shao Kahn) is stupidly overpowered like he was in the old games. I don't know if they did it for nostalgia sake but in this day and age it's just plain bad game design I think. I haven't tried online yet since PSN is down but from I heard the netcode is pretty bad but apparently they're already trying to patch it. In case you were wondering, I got it for 40 Euros. Overall, it's one the most entertaining fighting games I've ever played.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " @VictoryBlixt: As someone who generally doesn't play fighting games for more then an hour let alone the original MK, I've had tonnes of fun with it so far. 

• The controls are really snappy and performing moves are easy for almost every character (it's just a matter of when to use them.)
    • Looks great even on my 40" CRT.
    • Challenge Tower gives plenty of single player challenges.
    • Story is structured great for a fighting game and is well presented.
    • Lots of good unlockables in the Krypt.

My only complaint is that one of the bosses (Shao Kahn) is stupidly overpowered like he was in the old games. I don't know if they did it for nostalgia sake but in this day and age it's just plain bad game design I think. I haven't tried online yet since PSN is down but from I heard the netcode is pretty bad but apparently they're already trying to patch it. In case you were wondering, I got it for 40 Euros. Overall, it's one the most entertaining fighting games I've ever played.
    "
    To counter your points and give the OP better understanding:

• Controls are weird if you're coming from JPN Fighters, they take a while to get used to but work.  It's fun.
    • No opinion on graphics.
    • Challenge Tower turns into a grind at times, and at other times boring, but few gems make it fun.
    • Story is boring as shit second run, and you can't skip the scenes.  
    • Most the unlocks are shit.

The game is fun, and I know it's wrong that I'm so upset at the game because of Sony.  If you are a noob at fighters, try the demo...if you're good at Capcom games, try the demo, if you're big on MK just buy it.  
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By jozzy

Definately go for it, this game is great for beginners (like me and you).

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VictoryBlixt

I'm on the PS3 by the way and the only fighting games I've ever played have been MK games (very briefly though again never even gotten "good" at a MK game or any fighting game) so adapting wont be an issue but my question is what makes Fighting games fun to play online for the long haul and not become monotonous

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KaosAngel
    @VictoryBlixt: Then by that means, pick it up.  PSN should be back up by the time you get it so the major fault shouldn't be there.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bestostero

Yes, go get it now!  ToysRUs has it on sale for 39.99, and there is an additional in store coupon for 10 bucks off so its 29.99 with tax, plus you get Kitana's klassic costume dlc exclusive.

I SUCK at fighting games, but I have lots of fun still... lol

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @KaosAngel: Yeah I won't deny that there are a few really annoying challenges but at least you can skip them for a price if you don't like them. Not that it solves them...as for unskippable cut-scenes they do need to fix those. The unlocks vary from person to person unsurprsingly. I like concept art and the like but I understand if someone else doesn't care for them.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bestostero
    @eroticfishcake:  I love the concept art, i just wished you could actually transfer them to a USB or something so you can actually use them for wallpaper or something rather than just look at them in the game, same with the music...
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @xhavoc86: Unless you've got a Blu-Ray reader on your PC so that you can attempt to dissect the files you're probably out of luck. No zoom feature for the art as well which would be appreciated not to mention that I want better magnification when view models. I WANT TOO SEE THOSE BONES CLOSER DAMMIT.
    MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#16  Edited By MightyDuck
    @VictoryBlixt:
    I'm not a huge fighting fan, but I picked this game up and have had a blast with it.  The amount of game modes in it are well worth the price of purchase.  The story mode is really entertaining and one of the best done in a fighting game I've seen.  The challenge tower is extremely fun and entertaining as well.  It definitely has kept me going back to the game after beating the single player.  There are also your typical single player ladders to play with each individual character which also will provide you with an ending story as well.

The package is well worth the money and it is pretty easy to pick out a few moves that work with each character.

Pick it up, you won't be disappointed.
    huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By huntad

I say pick it up. The only reason I would not pick it up is if you don't plan on actually trying to learn the game whatsoever. Fighting games are all about learning characters and trying new things (sometimes doing the same thing repeatedly to master it). If you don't mind just trying and learning (the game is actually pretty easy to learn), then I recommend it whole-heartedly. It has plenty of singleplayer content, and multiplayer for online or offline with friends. Way too fun to pass up.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#18  Edited By Captain_Insano

I am exactly the same. I am NOT a fighting game person at all, I suck at them, the only fighting game I kind of liked was Killer Instinct Gold. Seeing the MK stuff on GB made me think that I might actually like Mortal Kombat. Alas, it had been refused classification here in good old Aus so it has been subsequently imported and, according to Amazon should be at my local post office when I head home.

I am looking forward to it though don't know how I'll feel about it. I say go for it though, even if you don't love it, it seems the type of game that is great to have friends around to play against each other in person with. The GB scrub league showed that. I think this is the type of game I could play with a mate all day on.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By csl316

Get it.  I'm a big Tekken guy and haven't played much MK over the last decade, but within a minute you can start having a good time.

Very friendly for beginners, and a ton of fun once you get good at it.  Not to mention the ridiculous amount of content on there is to explore.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Julmust

I got it yesterday and say, YES, get it. I'm going to go play it now.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By avantegardener

It's rather good, I was definitely not looking forward to it, but eventually got caught up in the hype. Wait till it's cheapsy.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @VictoryBlixt said:
    " Hey all I'm thinking about picking this game up but I have a few questions.So I'm not really a fighting game guy, it's not that I dislike fighting game it's just that I've never really sat down and tried to seriously play one. The only fighting games I've played are the first 2 mortal kombats and a couple of the PS2 era games. So my question is how hard is to learn how to really play a fighting game (I just mash buttons) and what is the long term appeal of these games because I'm just not sure I wont just get bored of the game after I mess with it a bit. So could someone please sell me on this game and online fighting games in general? Any Help is appreciated thanks "
    The long term appeal of these games is the mind games involved when both players know what they are doing. So this would be the equivalent to an FPS where both sides know the map, and work as a team just trying to outsmart one another by planning ahead since both sides know whats up, (except now you are a team of one man. ).

However, if you just button mash, that the same as aimlessly running around an FPS game firing your guns even if there is nobody in front of you. You really must take the time and play the game in a smart enough manner that is equivalent of walking around the map as you learn it and only shoot when you see enemies around. Sure getting better aim and using grenades with your gun is the same as learning your combos and each specific character's moveset, but on a purely general base, you have to play fighting games like a real game by looking at what your opponent is doing and coming up with a gameplan to counter it as opposed to press some buttons and if flashy stuff appears you get enjoyment out of it. 

PS: Even the GB MK scrub league didn't have both guys purely button mashing even though we can all agree it was scrub level play. In the GB MK scrub league all the players actually played the game off "look at what my opponent is doing and react to it somehow" even though they may not always come up with the best solution or punish for max damage. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By AhmadMetallic

all i can say is one thi--MORTAL KOMBAT!!!

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vexxan

Barely played any MK game but will all the attention this game has received on GB I myself is thinking about giving it a shot.

VictoryBlixt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By VictoryBlixt

So how long does it take to become proficient at a fighting game, I don't mean like good but good enough so that I know what I'm doing wrong in a match and also any tips?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.