Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ms. Splosion Man

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jul 13, 2011

'Splosion Man, everyone's favorite being of mass destruction has finally been captured by Big Science. Fortunately, help is on the way in the form of his newly-created soulmate, the pink and giggly Ms. 'Splosion Man!

Not Liking It So Far

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By YoungFrey

I was a big fan of 'Splosion man, but they made a few design choices that are really killing Ms. Splosion Man for me.  It's not the controls, or the how Super Meat Boy did such a good job(it did though)in the same genre.  It's not being able to see what is going on.  In particular, the sequences  where you jump across cars are terrible.  Between each one exploding, having a driver jump out when you land on it, and the other traffic, I frequently lose track of my character and fall off.  In the rest of the game there are periodic moments like that when a scientist flys at the screen, but it's not as common.  It's like they forgot what kind of game it is.  You know, the kind where you have to be perfect all the time of you die.  Why would seeing my character be important?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

I kind of agree. I think it adds charm in a lot of cases though, and it's not a huuuuge deal. I'm still liking the game.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sogeman

There can be a bit much on screen at times but it's never during parts where you have to perform fast jumps.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By YoungFrey
    @Sogeman said:
    There can be a bit much on screen at times but it's never during parts where you have to perform fast jumps.

But it still kills.  It makes what should be a simple task, jumping across some platforms, suddenly challenging(relatively speaking).  I now have to: jump, wait for the crap to clear, jump again. 
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By buft

agree with your point of obstructing the character but i dont think it has taken any of the shine off the game for me

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By iamjohn

Granted I'm not very far yet, but I don't think I've gotten to a part where their silly "scientist hitting the screen" trick (which I'll say is really fucking cool the first time, then completely loses its appeal afterwards, so maybe they're leaning on it a bit too much) has actually impeded my progress or made me stop for a second, mostly because they wait to do it in spots where all you can really do is go straight or maybe hit a really simple gap anyway. This sounds to me like a really nitpicky complaint.

And the cars segments are fun, shut up.

Also, they play the fucking Donut song on the pause screen. If that doesn't make it Game of the Forever, I don't know what does.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By ThePickle

I don't like it very much either (world 1-10)

• Sometimes the camera gets too far out and there's too much on screen and I can't see where I am.
    • Character is too slow and jump is too small for what they want me to do.
    • Checkpoints aren't frequent enough.
    • Too many parts where the game plays itself.

Maybe it's just because I finished playing VVVVVV and I can't take any more abuse.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Brad

@YoungFrey said:

I was a big fan of 'Splosion man, but they made a few design choices that are really killing Ms. Splosion Man for me. It's not the controls, or the how Super Meat Boy did such a good job(it did though)in the same genre. It's not being able to see what is going on. In particular, the sequences where you jump across cars are terrible. Between each one exploding, having a driver jump out when you land on it, and the other traffic, I frequently lose track of my character and fall off. In the rest of the game there are periodic moments like that when a scientist flys at the screen, but it's not as common. It's like they forgot what kind of game it is. You know, the kind where you have to be perfect all the time of you die. Why would seeing my character be important?

Yep, losing track of my character was one of my big problems with the game too, and those flying car sequences are a primary offender on that front. In general your situational awareness is limited by the way the game presents the action.

@HandsomeDevil: Those things too.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By donchipotle

I don't like it because it made me bust out my I'm Breathless album.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By craigbo180

The car sequences are by far the worst in the game, I haven't had problems with anything else. I didn't find the car sequences excessively bad but it certainly bugged me at first, especially the first few times I encountered a car sequence.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.