Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

NBA Jam

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

Return to the roots of arcade NBA basketball in the 2010 installment of NBA Jam. Developed by EA Canada for seventh-generation game consoles, this rebirth brings back the gameplay, aesthetics, and gratuitous secrets of the original 1993 arcade game.

Is it the best playing nba jam?

niftymcnift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By niftymcnift

I cant believe Nba Jam is finally out. I have to say I have been waiting for this release for what feels like forever.  
    I have been playing arcade basketball games for years. From the original nba jam, run and gun 1(and 2) by konami, nba hangtime, nba street (1,2,3 lets not mention the horrific homecourt....) it has been a long time since we have had a new arcade basketball game. The one thing that truely matters however is how they handle.  
    (The following refers to using classic controls) 
    Nba Jam for the Wii feels like Nba Jam. The weight of the characters, the speed of the game, all feel right. In fact what a relief to have a game where the clock is actually right. So many times I can remember with frustration how many games dont have a clock that actually runs at the correct speed (*cough n64 hangtime cough*).  
    However what is so dissapointing is they have actually taken a step back from Nba Hangtime, the last true nba jam game.  
    Whats missing ? ; 
    - 1. The ability to force a layup - This addition in nba hangtime allowed you to force a layup instead of a dunk , often this meant that you wouldnt get pushed over until after the ball had left your hand, very useful 
    - 2. The spin move from nba hangtime has been changed into the crossover drible - This feature is different to nba hangtime. Most significantly its slower than the original.  
    - 3. When on fire the three pointer is not guaranteed in the same way it was in hangtime. This means quick comebacks are not as possible as before making the game slightly less arcadey.  

What do other people think? How do you think it feels compared with games of old?  
    I think this is the best looking best sounding nba jam game ever. But actually, and a little dissapointingly, its not the best playing... 
    Slightly dissapointing.  

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By GunnBjorn

I pretty much have no recollection of the first games, but what immediately sprung out was/is that it's still as fun as ever.
    jaxjaggywires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By jaxjaggywires

I know it's a lot of fun.  Whether it's the best playing one, I remember the old ones being pretty easy to pick up and play.  Been awhile since I played them though... 

I do think it should be harder for someone to block a dunk against someone with a high dunk rating.  It should take someone with a 9+ block rating to reject someone like LeBron or Kobe dunking, IMO.  This definitely isn't the case though...

smackifilia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By smackifilia

I think it sucks that they took out the injury stat....that was the best part of the game because it forced you to think about what players went in in what quarter.  Added strategy and gave you more of a reason to push someone other than just dislodging the ball.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.