Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

Criterion's reboot of one of the most popular games in the Need for Speed series. The game features Racer versus Cop gameplay and can be played from either perspective at any time.

Compared to Burnout..?

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

Let me preface this: 

I love Burnout, it is my catnip and I have 100% completion in Burnout 2, 3 (original Xbox) and Paradise (no small feat). But after playing and deciding that it was too awkward and clumsy, I decided that Need for Speed: Most Wanted was not my cup of tea. After trying subsequent Need for Speed games I have a feeling that I will in fact, not like Hot Pursuit (even though I did group QA testing way back in the day on the first one). My question is: how much is the Burnout feeling from Criterion really crossing over and how much "realism" will prevent me from liking the game; I love Burnout games for the insanity of the action and the ease at which I can turn corners without putting too much thought into it and the INSANE rates of speed.

This is one of those games where I wish the demo was significantly longer, because I just can't tell from 2 levels if this is gonna be my thing.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By falconer

With my short time with the game so far I directly compare it to HP2 and Burnout 3. I don't know what I would compare the handling to though. Each car handles just a little bit differently (the super cars are a little more loose, which is to be expected). It's not as easy as Paradise, but it's certainly not difficult. Maybe watch the Quick Look to see if they touch on it?

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

Yeah I did watch the quick look, I had made that post before I knew that QL existed as I read Giant Bomb via a RSS Reader. Anyways, I'm pretty sold on it now but, it looked like Jeff was distinctly having trouble not hitting the sides (something that is easy to avoid in a Burnout) and also he did not "place" very well in the modes he tried in. Can you fill me in on the difficulty a little? It'll probably be more difficult for me at first because I will try and play it like Burnout Paradise. 

Also, good blog post, that helped me out a lot.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By falconer

Yup, I know exactly how that is. I tried driving like I was in Paradise City, but this is mother effing Seacrest County. It won't hurt you TOO much going in, and you'll eventually get the hang of things. I haven't mastered the subtleties yet though, so I still hit the walls and can't dodge traffic when also around other racers (you'll fish tail a bit by going one direction to dodge, then jerking back the other way).

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

How's the game's difficulty looking? Probably will be picking this up relatively soon when my budget allows. I've been having a lot of trouble finding a lot of time to play games, so it not being maddening would be nice. 

Oh did I mention I'm playing Super Meat Boy in said spare time? Yeah, I'm going for "relaxing" with my next purchase. =p

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By falconer
    @UnlivedPhalanx: It's your standard arcade racing deal. Don't make mistakes, you win.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Seppli
    @UnlivedPhalanx: 

It's about 20% Burnout and 80% the best arcade racing game ever made.

Orgasmic feeling drifts are what make this game special.
    UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx
    @Seppli said:
    " @UnlivedPhalanx:   It's about 20% Burnout and 80% the best arcade racing game ever made.  Orgasmic feeling drifts are what make this game special. "
    It's funny you say that because I got a DISTINCT "Outrun" vibe off of one of the coastal levels in the demo. =p
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Seppli
    @UnlivedPhalanx: 

Maybe you remember Cruis'n USA. It's just like that, only brilliant.

Hot Pursuit feels now as awesome as Cruis'n USA felt 15 years ago.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By damswedon

From the demo and the quick look I got the feeling this was a Burnout with heavier cars and you have to break some times to go round corners. 
    If it wasn't for the fact that Assassins Creed Brotherhood came out this week I'd would of picked it up day one.

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx
    @Seppli said:
    " @UnlivedPhalanx: 

Maybe you remember Cruis'n USA. It's just like that, only brilliant.

Hot Pursuit feels now as awesome as Cruis'n USA felt 15 years ago. "
    WOW! I have that game in my personal library SOMEWHERE. I forgot it even existed but yeah, I loved that one too.
    thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thegoldencat7

I quite enjoyed the demo if only for the competitive aspect. If it wasn't for the fact it tells you afterwards; these three people on your friend list were all faster than you slow ass, then I think I would have tried it once shrugged, and turned it off. The drivings OK, but its no Burnout.
    oobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oobs

this is burnout..anyone says its need for speed are really kidding themselves..just missing stunt jumps pretty much..has licenced cars..but its burnout regardless

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.