Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

New Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

Nintendo's "New 3DS" adds some additional control functionality and horsepower, allowing for some games that can only run on the new hardware, not on Nintendo's original 3DS.

Would you still get a 3DS XL with the "New" 3DS coming out?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I'm running into a dilemma and thought the GB community would give me some insight on what they would possibly do. I played the demo for Super Smash Bros on 3DS and so far I'm in love with it. I'm not big on super serious competitive play but can imagine myself playing this alot in the foreseeable future. I don't have a WiiU so I'll probably be sticking to the 3DS version when it comes out. Now at the moment I still have my original launch 3DS and after seeing the game running on a 3DS XL over the weekend I'm seriously contemplating on grabbing either the Persona or SSB 3DS XL bundle packs for 200 bucks. I then stop myself from pulling the trigger cause the "new" New 3DS is coming out eventually. I have a system to play ssb on currently so it's not like I'd be missing out at this point but the game looks great on the XL.

Should I pull the trigger and upgrade to the XL or just wait for the new one to come out whenever that happens?

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i would wait.no point spending money on a console that has a newer version coming out that does the same thing.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Waiting definitely seems like the best idea.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely not unless the money is trivial to you. If you're Mark Cuban then what the heck. Go nuts. If you're a normal workaday schmoe then you're going to feel crappy about not waiting when they release a New 3DS game you really want and you need to either upgrade again or go without.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

WAIT. Also this should be a poll. I also have an OG black 3DS and I play games just fine. With the DS I had the OG as well and upgraded until the DSi came out. Skipped the Lite altogether and man that felt good.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna go opposite here and say get a new XL. The new 3ds has no release date announced outside of Japan. So probably we're looking at either a Spring 2015 or Holiday 2015 launch. Either one is sufficiently far away to get your money's worth out of an XL, especially if you're gonna be playing a ton of games on it this holiday like long ass RPGs. You can always sell your XL later and consider the price difference your "upgrade fee". Honestly though, the new 3ds doesn't scream must have to me. Doubt devs will use the extra horsepower for much.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

Personally: I had just pulled the trigger on a 3DS XL moments before hearing the news of the new one and cancelled the order.

For you: you seem to want a specific title and there are already a whole bunch of other games to play. I still have my old "small" 3DS to fall back on in the meantime, whereas you have nothing. There's also no solid release date for the new 3DS outside of Japan, and no reason to think a whole lot of games will support its proprietary additions (unless you want to play other already existing games with support for the dumb 'ole second thumbstick addon).

So... the real question is just how much you want to be playing a *new* Smash Bros game while it's in the spotlight. If the answer is highly, then I'd say buy now. If not, it probably won't be *that* much longer a wait for the "new" models.

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i already have an xl that i never use. but if i didn't i'd get one for persona q alone.

the release of the new 3ds is an unknown quantity and for all we know it could be holiday 2015. really it comes down to if you have the money to spare or whether you can get by on a regular 3ds untill the new one comes.

me, hell, i'm even considering getting a new one for the persona q design. but then i'm a crazy person.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

While waiting would be the logical choice, that XL with the NES controller on it is calling my name.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting a 3DS for Monster Hunter 4 so i'm hoping there's a themed 3DS for it. If they're isn't? Then i'll just buy whatever model looks the best. And I doubt those extra buttons and hilariously tiny stick will help with anything. They're probably just there to test the waters for improvements for the successor handheld in x years from now.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Snail

Yeah just wait duder.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I really hope New 3DS is out early next year around when Monster Hunter 4 comes out.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealmoot: They are also updating the cpu processor for the device and ram. Just think of it as the Wii U I guess it's a new handheld console that's backwards compatible to 3ds, ds, and dsi games.

Morning_BR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I dunno. I got one refurbished from Nintendo for $135 a couple days after they announced the new ones, and I'm really happy with it. I am thinking it's going to be a bit of a DSi situation where there are only a handful of games that support the new ones. If not, I am sure I can sell it and buy a new one if I end up regretting the decision.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Considering the US is only getting the XL version of New 3DS (yeah, THAT name isn't going to cause confusion....), I'd say it's best to wait and get that one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.