Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 17, 2011

A role-playing game developed by Level-5 and animated sequences produced by Studio Ghibli Inc.

6% change to tame

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Sterling

It gets kinda frustrating when you site for almost two solid hours trying to catch one familiar. But no matter how many times you fight it, which is probably now close to 100 times, it just want let me catch it. Its starting to make me agro. So I started looking up in the guide what the percentage to catch the particular one I was after, turns out all of them fall in the 4-8% range. With most being 6%. That is a stupid low number. But having fought 100 times, I should have caught the damn critter six times by now. But I haven't. This is my angry face. Oliver, I need some patience. You got any of that in your little stupid locket buddy? No. You little...

These errands where you have to catch certain ones are bull crap with these low numbers. I've spent two days worth of play time (not real time, but my playing time) on trying to get this damn familiar for duder-monsters errand. And I just so happen to be one of those obsessive task finishers before advancing types. This is not good for my health Mr. Drippy. You flipping so-and-so!

EDIT: CHANCE! Chance to tame. Not flippin' change. That's brilliant 'ent it.

Khemitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Khemitude

@oulzac said:

EDIT: CHANCE! Chance to tame. Not flippin' change. That's brilliant 'ent it.

Would hate to point out this then

It gets kinda frustrating when you site for almost two solid hours trying to catch one familiar.

But on a serious note that sucks balls something like that is really putting me off buying this game as I too like to complete things like tasks before moving on.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sterling

Ugh! I finally caught the little bastard, only find out when I turned him in, its the wrong flipping one! The one I caught was the second version of the familiar, not the first. The one I need is the one that rarely appears in battles, and has a 4.6% chance of being caught. I think I am moving on and will come back to this post game.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By musubi

@oulzac: I think you've been possessed by the spirit of drippy.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Strife777

I don't think I would like it if the chance was higher. It would just become trivial. The whole point is that you have to make an effort if you want them. But maybe that's just me.

Also, I'm sure you know, but that's not really how chance percentages work.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Fallen189

Here's something you should know about % chance.

It's 6% chance EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU FIGHT THEM. After 100 fights, you shouldn't "Have caught one". It's a 6% chance every single time- as in 100 6% chances. Sorry, it sucks, but that's RPG games

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By kerse

Yeah capturing familiars is easily the worst part of the game, they shoulda just went all the way and had pokeball like items to capture with, so you can at least try as much as you want with a single enemy.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By killacam

@oulzac said:

THERE's brilliant 'ent it.

fixed it.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By LegalBagel

It makes the capturing familiars tasks a little annoying, but I think I'd rather have it lower than higher overall. One every few battles would just result in a clusterfuck of familiars and trying to keep track of what I need. I think getting 1-2 per dungeon is about right, which is normally what happens for me, and then spend a little extra time trying to capture a specific one you want. I normally keep my reserve slots open and always have room to tame and try out new guys.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sterling

I think the numbers should be like 10%. Its just super annoying fighting the same enemy that many times with no results. I can't even remember how many times the other enemies during these same fights fell over with the hearts for me to tame. I could have caught 20+ probably of the other ones in the region. But this one never clicked. That is just annoying. I can understand wanting to make it so you are not getting one every few fights. But come on.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Sterling

Boom! Just got a ticket card perk, final tier (last row), that increases all familiar chance of capture by 20%.

I haven't tested it yet, as I just got it. But it got me thinking. How are they factoring the 20%. Is it an actual 20% boost, as in said familiar will be 26%? or is it 20% of 6%, meaning it would now be 7.2%? I guess I wont know until I start trying. My guess is on the later option.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#12  Edited By StarvingGamer

As someone who stole all the Genji gear off of Marquis Elmdore, I look forward to catching these elusive familiars once I get around to playing this game.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By musubi
    @kerse
    Yeah capturing familiars is easily the worst part of the game, they shoulda just went all the way and had pokeball like items to capture with, so you can at least try as much as you want with a single enemy.
    I think its the best. The early game was starting to lose me. Once the floodgates with all the familiar stuff opened up I was hooked.
    Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sterling

oulzac said:

Boom! Just got a ticket card perk, final tier (last row), that increases all familiar chance of capture by 20%.

I haven't tested it yet, as I just got it. But it got me thinking. How are they factoring the 20%. Is it an actual 20% boost, as in said familiar will be 26%? or is it 20% of 6%, meaning it would now be 7.2%? I guess I wont know until I start trying. My guess is on the later option.

Its seems to be the later. I have not seen any increase in capture rate, so it has to be just a very minimal bump.

Chontamenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Chontamenti

So I'm in the dessert now, but .. I have no option to capture a familiar.. do I have to wait until the game progresses? (literally just walked into the first city in the desert)

(Thought I ask this in this threat.. because well.. it fits with the theme ^^)

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By FancySoapsMan

what I really hate is that you can only carry 3 in your reserves. not a big problem but still kind of annoying.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ExplodeMode

@Chontamenti said:

So I'm in the dessert now, but .. I have no option to capture a familiar.. do I have to wait until the game progresses? (literally just walked into the first city in the desert)

(Thought I ask this in this threat.. because well.. it fits with the theme ^^)

You learn it pretty soon through game progression.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sterling

@FancySoapsMan said:

what I really hate is that you can only carry 3 in your reserves. not a big problem but still kind of annoying.

Yeah, it would be nice to have 5 or more in your reserves. Would make it much easier to swap and level up without having to go to a city to swap.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By BisonHero

That capture rate does seem pretty low for a game that involves catching 'mons. How you capture dudes in SMT/Persona varies, but I don't think it has ever been that tedious. Same with Pokemon: if you play the game correctly, the capture rates are never that low. But I guess Ni no Kuni has less 'mons to capture, so they have to drag it out more.

Wheady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Wheady

yea, the taming can be kind of annoying, but when u do finally get it u wanna jump for joy, lol. i was trying to get an ice queen for Derwin for about 2 hours. finally got one to join my group but as i switched to esther the other ice queen in the fight cast the spell that has a chance to insta kill and it did. couldnt get esther revived in time before the timer ran out. wasnt very happy then, lol.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zeik

@FancySoapsMan said:

I'd much prefer if reserves actually gained exp. I've found I don't use my reserves all that much because of that. It's especially an issue when you get the 4th party member, meaning a whole team will end up falling behind.

ljbythell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ive personally found that it actually depends on the difference in power example i went back to the first area after getting the ability to capture caught three in a row

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely loved Ni No Kuni, and played it like 3 times with different familiars each time. But without a doubt the worst part of that game is the frustrating pokemon capture rates.

I have farmed a particular enemy for over an hour with no results multiple times and it was terrible, But as someone who loves Pokemon this feature held the most promise for me. I still enjoy capturing different familiars, but holy shit it can take a long time or it can take as few as a couple battles, very frustrating.

Fuck those side quests that ask you to capture specific familiars.

Still a fun game!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: Damn you Blade Grasp! Isn't there only like 1 or 2 pieces that are ridiculously good and then there's some others that are just okay? Calculators OP. 2 year old references gotten.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#25  Edited By StarvingGamer

@fredchuckdave: Weird necro, no memory of this thread at all, Genji Armor is like the second best and the Helm is strong and the Shield has no magic evade and the Gauntlets give +2 At +2 Mg which is simultaneously pretty good and pretty pointless.

EDIT: Also still haven't played this game past the first hour. My shame!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@starvinggamer: I bought it a year ago roughly, still haven't downloaded it (though mainly because of how big it is/the stupid 2x size requirement on the PS3).

Edit: Fuck it, it's time. Dragon Age/Endless Legend be damned!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.