Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

3DS Is A Failure. Passes PS3 Lifetime Sales In Japan.

• 74 results
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#51  Edited By Justin258

@Colourful_Hippie said:

There's another Bob Ross in this thread that doesn't belong...

When I was at The Escapist, there was an unfortunately large number of Edward Elric's everywhere a little while after I set my avatar. I know how you feel.

On topic... I heard about this earlier. It's really good to know that while Nintendo isn't doing as well here as we'd hoped, they're doing pretty well in Japan.

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By beeftothetaco

This thread reeks of fanboy.

kerikxi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#53  Edited By kerikxi

Man, original DS sales really fell off a cliff huh.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#54  Edited By DarthOrange
    @Kidavenger said:

It just looks like they prefer handhelds over there, pretty much every handheld on that list sold more than even the most popular home console.

I can't help but wonder if Vita sales are so low just due to the fact that it hasn't been cracked yet.

You have to admit, if Sony just let people crack it the system would sell like hot cakes, getting there units up, allowing publishers to be less wary when they make a game for it since it has a huge install base, making the number of good games go up, thus making more honest consumers go out and buy the system. Or maybe Sony is just cursed when it comes to handhelds. 

I think that sometime before the launch of the PS3 Sony forgot to carry Madame Zeroni up the mountain and sing to her while she drank the magic water. 
    Sidoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Sidoran

It makes me kinda sad how the Vita has pretty much already been dismissed by consumers and developers alike. I think it's actually a pretty cool handheld. The only thing I don't like about it is how ridiculously expensive the memory cards are.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By uhtaree

@KaneRobot said:

@Jayzilla said:

so japan is dumb is what you are saying?

@YetiAntics said:

I owned a 3DS once. All it would do is gather dust.

@MikkaQ said:

Yeah great, let me know when the games worth playing come to North America.

These.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By algertman

@DarthOrange said:

@Kidavenger said:

It just looks like they prefer handhelds over there, pretty much every handheld on that list sold more than even the most popular home console.

I can't help but wonder if Vita sales are so low just due to the fact that it hasn't been cracked yet.

You have to admit, if Sony just let people crack it the system would sell like hot cakes, getting there units up, allowing publishers to be less wary when they make a game for it since it has a huge install base, making the number of good games go up, thus making more honest consumers go out and buy the system. Or maybe Sony is just cursed when it comes to handhelds. I think that sometime before the launch of the PS3 Sony forgot to carry Madame Zeroni up the mountain and sing to her while she drank the magic water.

This is a lie that started with the PSP. Cracking the system will do nothing to help sales. Know what happened with the PSP outside of Japan? People bought the hardware with one or two games then didn't give a damn about it. The end. The home brew argument has never been backed by facts. People really need to face reality and understand that Sony and their game division are ran by people who have no idea what they are doing. The days of the Playstation brand being top dog are over, at least for a few years, and no amount of PS2 ports will fix that.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By TooSweet

While visiting Tokyo this year I noticed a lot of people playing different handheld systems. Old and new ones. I even saw few gameboy colors. One older lady that was probably in her 50's was playing Pokemon Red. I saw a couple playing with their DS's at a McDonald's. Mostly I saw them in the trains.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By JoeyRavn

@EVO said:

@JoeyRavn said:

@jdh5153 said:

iPhone is still outselling 3DS in Japan. Apple sold over 7 million iPhones in Japan in 2011 alone....

So? These numbers are for consoles, not smartphones... which, by the way, do a shitload more than a 3DS, making the comparison pretty moot.

Comparing iPhone sales to handhelds is no different than comparing handhelds to consoles.

Your many arguments have won me over. Truly, there's no difference between smartphones and handhelds, consoles.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By Nilazz

oh snap! Vita is about to pass xbox 360!

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By Sooty

@jdh5153 said:

@algertman said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-13-3ds-has-surpassed-ps3-lifetime-sales-in-japan.

Below is the full chart on Japan's hardware sales last week. Lifetime sales are in parenthesis.

• Nintendo Wii U - 308,142 (308,142)
    • Nintendo 3DS - 211,499 (8,799,378)
    • PlayStation 3 - 36,994 (8,716,260)
    • PSP - 19,637 (19,488,236)
    • PlayStation Vita - 11,039 (1,074,621)
    • Nintendo Wii - 6,714 (12,608,700)
    • Xbox 360 - 1,216 (1,608,399)
    • PlayStation 2 - 904 (21,829,112)
    • Nintendo DS - 424 (32,875,469)

3DS runs the show over there. Animal Crossing, a newer release, has already blown past 1.4 million units sold. It's now in a race with Mario Kart 7, Monster Hunter 3, Super Mario Land 3D, and New Super Mario Bros. 2 to hit two million.

Well, Nintendo had a good run. Hate to see them go iOS only just to keep Miyamoto from being homeless.

iPhone is still outselling 3DS in Japan. Apple sold over 7 million iPhones in Japan in 2011 alone....

and this is relevant how? If the iPhone was just a gaming device, you would have a point.

SagaciousJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By SagaciousJones

I'd say that the implication behind saying "iPhone is killing handhelds" is that handheld platform sales would decrease as a result of mobile gaming popularity--that is, regardless of how well the iPhone sells as a phone/internet device, it would eat into handheld sales as people switch over. These results seem to directly contradict that statement; dedicated Nintendo handhelds are selling as well as ever. Despite the low cost and accessibility of mobile stuff, these numbers prove that people still want a real gaming platform for real games. Really, the most inference you can make now is that maybe Nintendo sales aren't growing as fast as they could be.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By Winternet

Monster Hunter.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Jack268
    @Kidavenger said:

I don't think the reason the PSP was relatively successful in Japan was homebrew, it was basically Monster Hunter carrying it.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#65  Edited By Bollard

@dungbootle said:

@Rayeth said:

This just means that all the awesome Japanese 3DS games will continue to never be ported and remain in awful limbo. Like Brevely Default Flying Fairy and Monster Hunter 4.

I think both of those will be coming over without a doubt. Or at least more than likely.

Or did you mean ported to another system? Then yeah.

We're only getting Monster Hunter 3 (which came out last year in Japan on 3DS) next year. Which is the same time 4 comes out in Japan. Fuuucked.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ProfessorK

@Kidavenger: In Japan? No MH no sale I guess.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#67  Edited By Gaff

Now, if only Nintendo could survive off the sales in Japan alone.

Or if people could buy a Nintendo console every year to keep Nintendo alive.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By EVO

@Sooty said:

@jdh5153 said:

and this is relevant how? If the iPhone was just a gaming device, you would have a point.

Just as relevant to comparing a handheld to a console.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By algertman

@Gaff said:

Now, if only Nintendo could survive off the sales in Japan alone. Or if people could buy a Nintendo console every year to keep Nintendo alive.

Nintendo is not MS. They out out more than two 1st part games a year on their hardware.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Heltom92

I feel bad for the Vita, I think it's a great system.  I have both a 3DS and a Vita and I play the Vita loads more. There just isn't a single game on 3DS that interests me at the moment.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By AURON570

That doesn't mean much, because as far as I know, handhelds have always surpassed console sales in Japan. Japan just prefers their handhelds. It's pretty much the other way around here in North America.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#72  Edited By Gaff
    @algertman

@Gaff said:

Now, if only Nintendo could survive off the sales in Japan alone. Or if people could buy a Nintendo console every year to keep Nintendo alive.

Nintendo is not MS. They out out more than two 1st part games a year on their hardware.

True. Nintendo doesn't provide a healthy environment for third party developers ensuring a steady stream of license fees, nor does it offer its consoles to content providers as another platform for a small fee.
    Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#73  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Never realized how many 360's sold in Japan about 20% of PS3 sales.

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By MAGZine

@Gaff said:

yeah these dumb Nintendo people have been dying for like 30 years now, just get it over with.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.