Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

3DS: Why is it lighting the world on fire?

• 64 results
    Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Ok, don't take this as hate towards Nintendo, but what is the point of the 3DS? When was the last time you were playing a DS game and thought "you know what this needs? 3D!" Especially because of how finicky the glasses free tech is likely to be (angle specific and affected by glare). As another point, what exactly does it do for the games? Look at Mario Kart 3D. What is the 3DS doing for that other than adding a bit of depth to the perception of the game? With how skeptical a lot of people are on 3D technology, why is everyone flipping out over the 3DS?

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By davidwitten22

Ignoring the 3d entirely, it's a Nintendo DS with much improved graphics. Graphics that may be better than PSP, making it the best graphics on a handheld. 

Also, 3D WITHOUT GLASSES.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJOR64
    @davidwitten22 said:
    " Ignoring the 3d entirely, it's a Nintendo DS with much improved graphics. Graphics that may be better than PSP, making it the best graphics on a handheld.  Also, 3D WITHOUT GLASSES. "
    I agree with this.

I will most likely turn the 3D off, but the 3DS is like a Super DS.  Better graphics, new features, a slid pad, and NO GLASSES.
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By davidwitten22
    @JJOR64 said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    " Ignoring the 3d entirely, it's a Nintendo DS with much improved graphics. Graphics that may be better than PSP, making it the best graphics on a handheld.  Also, 3D WITHOUT GLASSES. "
    I agree with this.  I will most likely turn the 3D off, but the 3DS is like a Super DS.  Better graphics, new features, a slid pad, and NO GLASSES. "
    Oh yeah I forgot the slide pad, aka analog stick pretty much. That's pretty awesome.
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So its more that its a new DS rather than the 3D?

President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidwitten22:  Well, that's all well and good, but what exactly is the benefit to having some depth perception in handheld games? I think I might be missing the point.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Death_Unicorn
    @President_Barackbar: Also, super awesome Nintendo 64 remakes <3
    Mikl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Mikl

3D+DS +PSP+better analog controls=3DS is my understanding
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, no one has really answered my 3D question though. Why do we need it?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

Better graphics and an analog stick, since I'll be turning the 3D off.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By jkz
    @ajamafalous said:
    " Better graphics and an analog stick, since I'll be turning the 3D off. "
    This, in my mind. I won't use the 3D, unless some game executes it in a way that actually enhances the experience, doubtful though that may be,
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

Aside from the 3D WITHOUT GLASSES, it's got improved, widescreen graphics and more control options. (slider)
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @President_Barackbar said:
    " Well, no one has really answered my 3D question though. Why do we need it? "
    Why do you care?  Who says we do?  Believe it or not, not everyone's against the idea of 3D gaming.
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By beargirl1

" Well, no one has really answered my 3D question though. Why do we need it? "

why do we have new systems? we move on to make bigger, better games and systems.  

unless you're talking about 3D. that's because 3D is cool now that you don't need glasses.  

edit: oh, i should read. haha. just ignore the first sentence then. 
    Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

WE'RE IN THE FUTURE BROOOOO

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By triple07
    @JJOR64 said:
    " @davidwitten22 said:
    I agree with this.  I will most likely turn the 3D off, but the 3DS is like a Super DS.  Better graphics, new features, a slid pad, and NO GLASSES. "
    Yup. Can't agree more. I'll have to wait and see how the 3D works but I'm excited without the 3D. Also the games are the main draw right now they announced a bunch of games I want.
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Brendan said:
    " Aside from the 3D WITHOUT GLASSES) "
    Hate to sound like a broken record here, but WHY IS THIS SO IMPRESSIVE? I don't get the excitement over the 3D. What is the ability to perceive a bit of depth going to do for the games?
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By davidwitten22
    " @davidwitten22:  Well, that's all well and good, but what exactly is the benefit to having some depth perception in handheld games? I think I might be missing the point. "
    If you hate 3d you hate 3d. I hate 3d purely cause I hate the glasses (except when it's the really nice glasses that are clear. the stupid fucking red and green ones are awful) so 3d without glasses sounds awesome. If it works, which people seem to act like it does, it may revolutionize the industry. Plus there's already a great lineup of games being developed for it.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Diamond

I think the biggest thing is it's a brand new platform announcement that just was shown for the first time yesterday.  Any platform will have a huge hype wave over something like that.

President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it just might be my lukewarm attitude about Nintendo then that's made me immune to the hype. That and the fact that I don't really use a portable game system anymore.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    " @Brendan said:
    Hate to sound like a broken record here, but WHY IS THIS SO IMPRESSIVE? I don't get the excitement over the 3D. What is the ability to perceive a bit of depth going to do for the games? "
    I think this thread is ample proof that a lot of people are not excited for it.  And for those who are... it's all subjective.  If you don't like it, that's you.  It's like asking someone why they like chocolate or asking another why they find shrimp disgusting: it's personal opinion.  There's no point in being so inquisitive about it.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shirogane
    " @Brendan said:
    Hate to sound like a broken record here, but WHY IS THIS SO IMPRESSIVE? I don't get the excitement over the 3D. What is the ability to perceive a bit of depth going to do for the games? "

This is impressive cause we've always needed glasses to see 3D? Apart from that, no we don't really care about the 3D. It's the fact that the handheld itself and the games announced on it are awesome.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Coombs

Yeah, 
    It's really not even about the 3D  thats just the nifty gimmick for the people who are "casuals" 
    I haven't bought a handheld since the GBA, but I am slowly coming around to this thing, I just hope it's under $200  (lol, I can hope)

The graphics are INSANELY improved
     Ridge Racer for the DS: 

Ridge Racer for the 3DS: 

President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FluxWaveZ:  Yeah, I guess you're right. Just because I don't see the purpose of it doesn't mean people won't flip their shit over it.
    Avatar image for mightymayormike
    MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MightyMayorMike

I was never playing the Gameboy thinking, "You know what this needs? Two screens!"

President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Coombs:  Oh my, that is VERY impressive.
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MightyMayorMike:  Actually, that's kinda always been my problem with Nintendo. The gimmicks on their systems never mattered to me. My favorite DS  games don't even use the touch screen much if at all.
    MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By MetalBaofu
    " @Brendan said:
    Most likely just the same thing it does for movies...an enhanced visual experience.  If you don't like it, then turn it off.     Personally, I don't really care about 3D(maybe it will surprise me though), all I'm excited about is the fact that it is a new system with far better visuals/features.    Asking users on here, "what it's going to do for the games" is really kind of pointless since the huge majority haven't seen the 3DS in action, and have no idea what kind of games developers may be currently working on.
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@President_Barackbar: Ever played The World Ends With You? :D
    Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Dreamfall31

I will definately get this over the stupid DSi.  Atleast upgrading to this from a Lite is totally worth it!

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheKidNixon
    " @Brendan said:
    Its one thing to say its unimportant (I might agree there, though I think the 3D effect is pretty effin sweet myself from the slight impression I am getting from video), but I think saying it is unimpressive is a bit dishonest. The ultimate goal is to have 3D images without intrusive glasses, and Nintendo has proven the technology is possible. The 3DS even provides the option of turning off 3D for those who aren't interested, and it is still a major improvement: from all reports. The analog control are impressive, graphically it is the best handheld on the market, it has a boatload of (supposed) support and it comes from the best first party handheld development house on the planet. And yes, glassless 3D, while not unique, is impressive for a (hopefully) inexpensive consumer product. 

The final reason I would say it is setting at least the net-watchers on fire is because the feedback from people seeing it is almost universally positive. Even anti-3D curmudgeons like Jeremy Parish, Jeff Green and our own Ryan "Asshole" Davis have said they found the tech really impressive, and that they are immediately sold. If that isn't enough to get you excited, clearly nothing will.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By AndrewB

Coming from a DS/DS lite, it's a godsend of an improvement. Much better graphics, better wifi support, camera on the inside, two on the outside (for augmented reality stuff), bigger screen, 3D support, better internal software.

Also retains backward compatibility with my existing catalog, meaning the selling of my two existing pieces of hardware will pay for the console and I'll still be able to play my current catalog.

Why do we need 3D? It has yet to really be seen. I've never seen a modern 3D movie or game, so I couldn't tell you my feelings towards the tech. I know that 3D without the glasses is a good thing. I know that it doesn't seem to hinder gameplay.  I'm sure some creative minds will come up with actual uses for it beyond looking pretty. Every console generation is a step forward in graphics and immersion. You could ask why we ever needed a leap from 8 bit to 16 bit... I mean, the graphics weren't that much better. It didn't allow for polygons yet, so no polygonal 3D.

Just roll with it. If there's one thing Nintendo has done right, it's their handheld consoles (with the possible caveat of their *major updates to* handheld consoles... I mean, there was the Game Boy Pocket, Micro, DSi and DSi XL... not including the Virtual Boy because, well, that thing just wasn't portable).

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dogbox
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This might not be a fair point to bring up, but this whole thing screams Virtual Boy to me. While the specific configuration of that system was indeed flawed, it sorta reminded me that none of the games on the Virtual Boy really used the 3D in a meaningful way.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Scrawnto

I'm one of the few people that I know that enjoys 3D in movies as long as its not used for gimmicky "it's coming right at me" moments. I'm psyched about the 3DS for that alone. On top of that, 3D could very well be useful for leading targets at varying distances, judging arcs for projectiles and just looking cool. I also love stereoscopic photos. As an artist, it would be really useful to take 3D photos of a reference to work from later. 2D images just don't work the same. But mostly it's like a DS 2 or a Super DS. Better graphics, more content, augmented reality stuff has promise.

On an aside, finally a hand held is using a slide pad like I imagined back when I got a GBA! I was trying to figure out how a Nintendo 64 controller could be adapted for a handheld. 

For me, there is a lot to be excited about. 

@Scheds said: 

" All I needed to hear was Paper Mario and I was in. 

No Caption Provided
    "
    Come on, Barackbar, you don't think that would be cool all pop-up book style? I mean, pop-up books were the stylistic inspiration for Paper Mario. 
    masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#36  Edited By masternater27
    " I guess it just might be my lukewarm attitude about Nintendo then that's made me immune to the hype. That and the fact that I don't really use a portable game system anymore. "
    Well there you go.  You don't like Nintendo and you don't play portable games.  Why would you be interested?  I love the DS, and better graphics alone make it interesting.  And I think that most are like me, I don't give a shit about 3-D when I have to wear glasses the whole time, especially if we're watching a movie and a bunch of people are over.  But without glasses and when it's made just for one person to view?  Has the potential to be fantastic.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RE_Player1

The software lineup for its launch is pretty good as well, some strong titles. 

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By shiftymagician
    " This might not be a fair point to bring up, but this whole thing screams Virtual Boy to me. While the specific configuration of that system was indeed flawed, it sorta reminded me that none of the games on the Virtual Boy really used the 3D in a meaningful way. "
    Yea this isn't a fair point to bring up.  The virtual boy's demise was really due to the fact that it only showed red as it's primary colour, and was hard to look at.  That, and it's lack of portability as it's shape was badly designed, also were important factors.  The fact that the 3DS addresses all the flaws of the virtual boy, retains DS features that we have all enjoyed, as well as add new features, more powerful graphics, and optional glasses-free 3D effects, it definitely has a better chance of being a hit.

Now about it being meaningful?  I think that people are looking at these 3D effects the wrong way.  The 3D is an effect and not some feature that has underlying gameplay mechanics.  I never once thought that 3D would change gaming like when we went from 2D environments to 3D ones, and as such I treat this as a welcoming effect to enhance my viewing experience, not my gameplay experience.  You should really not expect the 3D effects to make too much of a change to gameplay, but later on, there probably will be a developer that might make use of it to perform some visual trickery, but not in the way that I think you are expecting.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AndrewB

" This might not be a fair point to bring up, but this whole thing screams Virtual Boy to me. While the specific configuration of that system was indeed flawed, it sorta reminded me that none of the games on the Virtual Boy really used the 3D in a meaningful way. "

Well that was totally a limitation of the tech (monochrome.. or rather, red and black screen that gave you major eyestrain) and a complete lack of actual "virtual reality" games (the thing was called the Virtual Boy, but only one of the games really offered a first-person "virtual reality" feel). Plus the system was dubbed "portable," when clearly the only way to play it was propped up on a desk, and even then that was a stretch because the thing had nothing to strap it to your eyes and keep it in place. It was an utter mess.

The 3DS is anything but. It's also claiming 3D and not virtual reality. The two consoles and the company that created them are completely different now.

Edit: come to think of it, eyestrain problems have yet to be seen with the 3DS.  At least it won't be any worse than the tech every other company is pushing these days.
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShiftyMagician:@AndrewB: My point in bringing it up wasn't to bring up the fact that VB was obviously limited by tech, it was that the games weren't able to integrate 3D as a means of enhancing the actual game, much like Shifty pointed out. I think Shifty pretty much answered my question here.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AndrewB
    @President_Barackbar:  That's somewhat debatable, and again, Nintendo is a completely different company now. The times are completely different. 3rd party support doesn't appear to be dismal. Sure, we've yet to see what the actual catalog will look like. My argument is that I felt the same way  about adding a second screen and making it touch-sensitive, yet the DS turned out to be a fantastic system. I have a little more faith in Nintendo now.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#42  Edited By zidd

Its the first implementation of 3D that I've seen that has the potential to not suck.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @davidwitten22 said:

" Ignoring the 3d entirely, it's a Nintendo DS with much improved graphics. Graphics that may be better than PSP, making it the best graphics on a handheld.  

Also, 3D WITHOUT GLASSES. "

Exactly what this fine chap said.

Emphasize on 3D WITHOUT GLASSES!
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By nick_verissimo

I think the big thing that's markedly weird about the new DS is it's branding.  By giving it the 3D label it seems, in my case anyway, to distract from the fact that this is from the inside out an entirely new DS.  I had no idea that the new version of the DS would have an analog/ slide pad (or whatever it's called) or vastly improved graphic. Now the whole 3D thing seems more like an after thought, especially since it can be turned off.  I suppose going forward they could still change the name of this thing, but I guess 3DS is clever enough for the moment.

President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick_verissimo:  I think you're absolutely right on. It's a better DS, but with 3D kinda being the "wow factor" for a lot of people. Its like "Hey, if you like 3D, you can do that now!"
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AndrewB
    @nick_verissimo said:
    " I think the big thing that's markedly weird about the new DS is it's branding.  By giving it the 3D label it seems, in my case anyway, to distract from the fact that this is from the inside out an entirely new DS.  I had no idea that the new version of the DS would have an analog/ slide pad (or whatever it's called) or vastly improved graphic. Now the whole 3D thing seems more like an after thought, especially since it can be turned off.  I suppose going forward they could still change the name of this thing, but I guess 3DS is clever enough for the moment. "
    It works on a number of levels. It still has two screens, it's sort of the 3rd iteration of the DS (looking at it like DS Lite --> DSi --> 3DS, counting DS Original/DS Lite as one and DSi/DSiXL as one because they are both only aesthetic upgrades and don't bring anything new to the table), it's a 3D-enabled console. It's the best name I could think of for it. Definitely better than calling it the Nintendo DS Advance.
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By shiftymagician
    " @ShiftyMagician:@AndrewB: My point in bringing it up wasn't to bring up the fact that VB was obviously limited by tech, it was that the games weren't able to integrate 3D as a means of enhancing the actual game, much like Shifty pointed out. I think Shifty pretty much answered my question here. "
    Hehe no worries dude.  It was a very valid question that you asked, though most people would see this as a subjective question.  But I got what you were saying.  It reminds me a lot of how weird people can really be about things.  

There is no real answer to why a person likes something, but there usually is a more logical answer to "why" something became so popular to begin with.  Unfortunately most of the time when it comes to games is because of the hype that is generated via the media and biased hearsay about a product, without taking a minute and critically assessing what you just heard, and remaining reasonably skeptical about products that have yet to prove themselves beyond a controlled environment.  

Of course, it is also unfortunate when people become over-skeptical due to previous products of a similar nature that failed to meet a person's expectations, and unfairly judge a product before it comes out.  But that is the way people work I guess, and I hope that changes for the better someday.
    Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Clinkz
    @Scheds said:
    " All I needed to hear was Paper Mario and I was in.

No Caption Provided
    "
    Oh ya
    MotherBrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MotherBrain
    @Mikl said:
    " 3D+DS +PSP+better analog controls=3DS is my understanding "
    Throw in a dash of Virtual Console and we're good to go.
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By Jayzilla

one simple thing is keeping me from getting this: its a handheld. i don't like handheld gaming.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.