Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

DS/3DS Recommendations for Someone who Doesn't Play Games

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Hello, duders. I need your help.

I'm buying a 3DS for a friend of mine who has not played video games since she was a small child (SNES). I'm starting her off with Picross 3D because it's not only one of the best DS/3DS games, but one of the easiest to learn controls and systems with.

I need recommendations from you guys on what games you think a girl in her 20s who has not touched a video game in twenty years might be able to play and enjoy. I don't care whether it's DS or 3DS.

Any help would be much appreciated, duders.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TentPole
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jack268

Super Mario 3D Land

It's really easy in the beginning but gets progressively harder. It also doesn't have a confusing control scheme like certain other games on the system.

And I guess Pushmo? Very basic concept, more focused on logical thought than execution, which someone who doesn't play a lot of games might lack.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Thanks, guys. Those are both helpful suggestions.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ducksworth

All the ladies love Professor Layton.

Guess I should be more helpful: Professor Layton is a point and click game with a puzzle element. The core gameplay involves answering logic styled puzzles and riddle to furthur progress the story. It's very friendly as there is no way to die, you can spend "hint coins" to unlock progressively revealing tips about each puzzle, the presentation and story is charming, and on top of that if it turns out she's a completionist there are many puzzles that aren't required to finish the game as well as free downloadable puzzles (that are already in the game).

Bevinsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bevinsky

Ghost Trick is an excellent game. Simple and intuitive controls, and a great story. It's a must-have.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Ducksworth said:

All the ladies love Professor Layton.

I was definitely considering Layton as well as the Ace Attorney games. Glad to hear it.

@Bevinsky said:

Ghost Trick is an excellent game. Simple and intuitive controls, and a great story. It's a must-have.

I've always heard good things about Ghost Trick. Maybe I'll check it out. Thanks.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Hunter5024

Pokemon. It is very easy to understand. I have 2 lady friends who don't play other games, but they seem to enjoy pokemon anyways.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Pushmo is a great puzzle game for 3ds that's less than 10 bucks. Not quite sure if the Nintendo's shop channel allows you to gift games but if they do would definitely recommend it.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@Hunter5024 said:

Pokemon. It is very easy to understand. I have 2 lady friends who don't play other games, but they seem to enjoy pokemon anyways.

Never would have thought of that, but it makes sense!

@I_Stay_Puft said:

Pushmo is a great puzzle game for 3ds that's less than 10 bucks. Not quite sure if the Nintendo's shop channel allows you to gift games but if they do would definitely recommend it.

Yeah, I was planning on Pushmo being one of her first. I'm not sure if games can be gifted!

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cannonballbam
    No Caption Provided
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@cannonballBAM said: Oregon Trail

Does the DS version not suck? I know most ports of it do.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By JJOR64
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By AndrewB

Depends on what games she played on the SNES and what kind of things might appeal to her, but my general DS suggestion game is 999 as more of an adventure/puzzle game that doesn't require gamer reflexes (and in the future, its 3DS sequel). Similarly, the already suggested Professor Layton series. Pushmo was also a good suggestion (I'd suggest it for anyone who owns a 3DS. though). There's also the virtual console with a ton of options, like the Mario Land series.

Yes, that version of Oregon Trail is a travesty.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@JJOR64 said:

Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and Tetris Axis are great for beginners. 3 games for 3 different genres. There is also New Super Mario Bros. 2 that comes out in August if she wants to buy more games down the line.

Yes, she was very excited about the prospect of New Super Mario Bros 2. Thanks for the suggestions.

@AndrewB said:

Depends on what games she played on the SNES and what kind of things might appeal to her, but my general DS suggestion game is 999 as more of an adventure/puzzle game that doesn't require gamer reflexes (and in the future, its 3DS sequel). Similarly, the already suggested Professor Layton series. Pushmo was also a good suggestion (I'd suggest it for anyone who owns a 3DS. though). There's also the virtual console with a ton of options, like the Mario Land series.

Yes, that version of Oregon Trail is a travesty.

I don't think she necessarily would even remember what she played on SNES beyond "Mario". It was more meant as an example of how long it's been. Thanks for the suggestions. 999 looks cool.

newfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By newfire

Ace Attorney series, for sure. Preferably the Phoenix Wright ones, they have AWESOME music and strangely addicting stories. Oh and there are some simple game mechanics thrown in there as well.

I HIGHLY recommend Picross DS, one of my favorite games ever! I found it much more enjoyable than Picross 3D, which itself was also a great game. Hopefully nintendo will release the eshop Picross e in the states soon!

Last but not least, I HAVE to say New Super Mario and Super Mario 3D Land. Considering she hasn't played anything since the SNES days, I'm sure she'd like something a little familiar. Both easy, yet fun games.

EDIT: I just remembered Cave Story was on the 3DS (in multiple forms if I'm not mistaken). I've never actually finished this game, but I've played it many times on my PC and always thoroughly enjoyed it. I think your friend will enjoy the cutesy graphics, retro style, and the challenge as much as I do.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By mosespippy

I came here to recommend Professor Layton but others have already done it so I'll rank the Layton games from best to worst.

1. Currious Village
    2. Diabolical Box
    3. The Last Spectre
    4. Unwound Future

Cave Story is another recommendation.

pantzing_nome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By pantzing_nome

Animal Crossing is really easy to play and is pretty addicting if you get into it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.