Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

How much do you think the name effected the sales?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

This may sound like a strange question, but how much do you think the name of the console effected sales? Wouldn't some of the general public just assume it's a DS with 3d rather than a whole new handled and not bother buying it?

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mandude

I was under the impression that that was exactly what it was, so I guess you may be right.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By strainedeyes

Yeah, totally, they confused the market. I don't like 3D and I have a DS, why would I buy a DS with 3D added?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By mosespippy

I think everybody who isn't paying attention who has a DS looks at the name and says "I already have one of those but without 3D." I think they will do the same thing with WiiU.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777

It certainly didn't help that the damn thing looks basically the same. Although the same argument could be made about the Vita as well...

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By benspyda

I dislike the cinema and 3DTV 3d stuff but I am really impressed with the 3D on the 3DS. So quite possibly as 3D seems to have lost all its appeal because its been implemented so poorly.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Contrarian

@Enigma777 said:

It certainly didn't help that the damn thing looks basically the same. Although the same argument could be made about the Vita as well...

That is my main concern. I think they should have taken a fairly radical approach to design so it was clearly a different product. Some obvious raised artwork of the top would have helped as well.

As for the name, would you have them drop the DS name? I doubt it. It has too much market value. I think by now, most of the confusion has gone, but I would have given it a different name myself. Not that I have any good ideas, but perhaps DS2-3D or DSA-3D (Advanced) wouldn't have been too far off the mark.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

That's not a bad theory, but if the name was negatively affecting sales, then there ought to be a corresponding drop off in sales of the DSi and DSiXL compared to the DS. I think the price and lack of software support at launch were bigger problems.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

I wonder if Wii U games will play in 3D on Sony TVs.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Contrarian

@Claude said:

I wonder if Wii U games will play in 3D on Sony TVs.

No. Sony will put in a chip that doesn't recognise Nintendo. Bastards!

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Etnos

@Enigma777 said:

Vita is a lousy name, but It doesn't imply 3d, that solely fact makes of the Vita a better marketable product IMO.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Barely at all, the reason why they started off in hard times was because there were no good launch, or even close to launch games, 250 dollars was a pretty confident price, seeming that everyone knew Nintendo was making massive profits on each model, and lastly, the advertising was god awful. All it was was just people smiling over battle submerines and street fighter, and then the cam moves to show a small box inside the 3DS, of course we knew that meant 3D, but for anyone watching, it just looked artsy and conveyed no message about the systems' features. Now that the 3ds has a few nice titles like MK7 and the new resident evil, I think they won't have a problem selling these.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By DarthOrange

The name shoot them in the foot right out of the gate. Leading up to the 3DS there was: the DS, DS Lite, DSI, and DSI-XL. Then this thing came out and I'm sure many people thought look, now I can play my old DS game in 3D. It looked and sounded too much like the old DS's.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By huntad

I don't know. The name maybe didn't help, but the lack of software, that appealed to those with similar-minded people like me, probably didn't help either. I think there are more games on the system now that look cool, but it's a little too late as I'm now waiting to see how the vita pans out.

EDIT: If you're just talking about the bunch of people that bought the DS and Wii, that don't play a ton of games, then it's anyone's guess.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By yoshimitz707

Pretty much everyone I know who isn't a gamer doesn't understand the difference.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By SlightConfuse

not a lot they were doing casual DS upgrades which may have hurt them already. how many times can you buy the same thing. It was a DS with 3d not much of an upgrade to an average person. it did not help that there was no must-have game to incentives people. the only reason i bought one was because it was a nice upgrade to my launch DS

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chrissedoff

I was in a store last week with a kid and his mother talking to the clerk and they didn't understand why a 3DS game doesn't work on the DS. I think maybe if they impressed on people that the new system has better graphics and other features besides just being a DS that's 3D then people might have been more interested.

But, maybe not. There's a lot of reasons for why the 3DS has struggled so far. It didn't have any cool-looking games for a long time, it was crazy expensive when it first came out, and of course, people can buy games for next to nothing on smartphones, so who the heck wants to buy a system with games that are more expensive than they were on the old DS.

Sorry about the italics but the whiskey media forums are poorly made so now I can't turn italics off.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Grillbar

alot and with good reason. the way i understood it was do you like the ds well heres the same think only with glass-less 3D that works most of the time

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Jimbo

I think the lack of a 'killer app' (I hate that term) was the bigger problem. I was quite interested in checking out the 3D thing, but there just wasn't a single game to justify the purpose.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I know of some people that thought it was just another model of the DS and didn't want it for that reason, so I guess it could've affected sales.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jetsetwillie

they should of called it the Super Nintendo DS 3D!

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By M_Shini

I wasn't someone who thought it was just the same console with 3d so i cant say much abut the people who did, although i was under the impression the 3ds is selling at the rate or better than the DS did so if it did affect the sales it was such a small amount either way.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By WinterSnowblind

It was definitely a problem, the more casual Nintendo audience didn't have a clue that it was a new system. The fact the new ads use the tagline "this isn't Nintendo DS, it's Nintendo 3DS" shows that they picked up on the problem themselves.

The utter lack of games was the bigger problem though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.