Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Nintendo's 3DS Screen Technology?

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided
    Since the announcement of Nintendo's "3DS" many have been wondering how Nintendo could implement 3D screen technology into a handheld without a need for glasses, Well, perhaps Sharp has revealed exactly what technology Nintendo's 3DS will be using. Sharp's 3D screens do have an optimum 3D viewing angle, so their use in TV's would never work, however, for all manner of handheld devices it could prove to be perfect.  

In addition to the 3D effects, the screens also work wonders on regular images, displaying with them with twice the brightness seen on current portable LCD screens. (500cd/m2). The screens also have 10 times the contrast ratio (1,000:1) , a sharp resolution, and will work excellently with live images, opening the strong possibility for camera usage.  

No video will do this technology justice, so bear that in mind when viewing the video.

Electronista
    solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By solidlife

I want to see How Nintendo/Developers are going to use this to enhance game-play and Not make it feel tacted on because to me I cant see how this is going to change anything 

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By rallier

I really hope that they end up using this. I can't wait to play advance wars with tiny little planes appearing to hover above the screen.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

There are a few companies that have been working on glassesless 3D technology. Toshiba is the one that jumps to mind, but there are several others too. It's safe to say that Nintendo are working with one of them. But there were rumours of them using a Sharp screen before Sharp made this announcement, so it's looking quite possible that the 3DS will use it.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By oldschool
    @Rallier said:
    " I really hope that they end up using this. I can't wait to play advance wars with tiny little planes appearing to hover above the screen. "
    Ooohh, me like.  Plus whilst we are talking about Intelligent Systems (makers of Advance Wars), I can just see them making a Fire Emblem game with the wyvern riders appearing to hover the terrain as well.  2011 is going to be an awesome year for gamers.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Meowayne

With all the "hovering" talk going on, I just like to mention that I am much more interested in the depth of field behind the display than in any fancy "reaching-out" effects.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Linkyshinks

That mock is impressive.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BrickRoad

Well if the big N do use these screens then that'll be cool, I guess. Though it'd go against reusing cheap, old and unfulfilled technology to good effect in a new console like they seem to love doing. I mean the GBA was hardly cutting edge, the Wii is just a GameCube that's been juiced up, and the DS uses the same ARM processor that was in the original N Gage, or something. Not that I don't love my GBA, GC and DS, that is.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By AgentJ
    @Linkyshinks: if that system had another control stick i'd want nearly exactly that. 
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rallier

That is quite an impressive mock up but how small must your hands be to hold that thing?

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I have a weird feeling that mock-up could be very close to the final product.

Just sayin.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @Rallier said:
    " That is quite an impressive mock up but how small must your hands be to hold that thing? "

The control area seems to be of the same size as a Gamboy Advanced SP. 

I like the band of ridges on the sides, they hark back to the original Gameboy's design.
    chokomofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chokomofo
    I really want the 3D handheld to work, and if I trust anyone... I trust Nintendo. They think outside of the box. I'd also love for 3D technology to work with glasses because I'm in need of regular glasses, and I really don't want to wear two pair of glasses.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rallier

I suppose so yeah, It still looks a bit unwieldy in "DS Mode" but that does not take away that this is a very impressive mock up.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @Chokomofo said:
    " I really want the 3D handheld to work, and if I trust anyone... I trust Nintendo. They think outside of the box. I'd also love for 3D technology to work with glasses because I'm in need of regular glasses, and I really don't want to wear two pair of glasses. "
    You would also benefit from a few days NOT using bold fonts.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox

Woah the tech works both horizontally AND vertically oriented? How do they pull that off? With both horizontal and vertical pixel angle correction that changes dynamically based on orientation? If so then it needs a camera to sense where your face is and adjust the angle accordingly.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rallier
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Linkyshinks

Another mock design, this time by a Frenchman: 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.