Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Original vs XL? Resolutions Issues?

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Pessh

I've recently been having a lot of fun working my way through all the DS and Wii games I never played, which has convinced me to buy a 3ds (this might have had something to do with it too,) just not sure which model to go with. XL seems like the obvious choice with improved screen size/battery life but I'm slightly concerned about the resolution issue. Was wondering what the general consensus was amongst GB on the model to go with (price isn't an issue.) Upgrading from a 6 year old ds lite so I'm sure I'll be happy either way but any advice would be appreciated.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By kindgineer

Go with the XL. I own a regular 3Ds, but I owned a DSXL before that and I'm sure the changes will be similar. The resolution change wasn't nothing to worry about and the extra real estate was a refreshing experience from the normally small screens.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By JJOR64

I have both Original and XL and I prefer the XL easily. The games look great on the big screen.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I'd go with the XL unless you travel around a lot.

NerdOnAWire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By NerdOnAWire

The XL is the superior choice in every field except for portability. Not only are the screens larger(obviously), and as you said, the battery is better, but:

• It isn't a fingerprint magnet, since it has a matte finish as opposed to the original's glossy exterior
    • The Select / Home / Start buttons are actual buttons instead of buttons under a flexible plastic strip that may become dented through misuse
    • The issue with the original where the edge of the bottom screen would dig into the top screen if you didn't add bumpers, stick an eyeglass cloth between the screens, or didn't carry it in your pocket has been mostly fixed
    • DS games look better in their original ratio when you use that option

The only thing I don't like about the XL is how it looks slightly like a toy when compared to the original model. There's something about it that seems more upscale(especially the aqua and purple models).

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By matt_f606

Yeah, agree with all of these points. The old DS games look way better on the XL and the 3DS games look great as well. The XL is just more confortable as well.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By toowalrus

I'll be the guy to disagree. I prefer pixel density over screen size. I've only played an XL in the best buy, but I prefer my original. Literally none of the issues @NerdOnAWire: mentioned were issues to me. I mean, I wouldn't base my hardware decisions on factors like fingerprints. My screens never rubbed together, and as long as you're not brutal with the home/start/select buttons, they're just fine. Even if original DS games look better on the XL, they still look best on a DS lite or DSi, so I wouldn't toss that just yet. The 3D is about the same, I suppose longer battery life is a plus, but I never really play it for more than 3 hours at a time, anyway. It really just comes down to resolution and I just don't think the XL model looks as good. Personal opinion.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Ben_H
    @TooWalrus said:

I'll be the guy to disagree. I prefer pixel density over screen size. I've only played an XL in the best buy, but I prefer my original. Literally none of the issues @NerdOnAWire: mentioned were issues to me. I mean, I wouldn't base my hardware decisions on factors like fingerprints. My screens never rubbed together, and as long as you're not brutal with the home/start/select buttons, they're just fine. Even if original DS games look better on the XL, they still look best on a DS lite or DSi, so I wouldn't toss that just yet. The 3D is about the same, I suppose longer battery life is a plus, but I never really play it for more than 3 hours at a time, anyway. It really just comes down to resolution and I just don't think the XL model looks as good. Personal opinion.

I'm looking at getting a 3DS and I will be getting an original for this exact reason. Pixel density is a huge deal for me. If it looks fuzzy then it will always bug me. I liked how sharp the original 3DS's screens looked when I gave it a go a bit ago, and having it any less sharp than that would bug me. It is the same issue I had when I tried the DSi XL. Heck I even noticed the slightly less sharp image going from the OG DS to the DSi, though that wasn't nearly as big of a change. 

Plus I want a black 3DS, and  you can't get that with the XL right now.
    Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pessh

@TooWalrus: Can't disagree with you, I'm yet to even play a 3DS. I prefer the design and screen size of the XL though so probably going with that, hoping since I don't have a regular 3DS to compare it to, the resolution won't bother me too much.

@JJOR64: Have you had any problems with the bezel scratching the top screen? (on either model) Hadn't heard about that before, slightly disconcerting

NerdOnAWire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NerdOnAWire

@TooWalrus: Oh, I totally agree with you on the screens rubbing together and the S/H/S buttons. I take extremely good care of my consoles, so those aren't an issue for people like me. Some people aren't as careful, though, so I like to consider those cases if I make a recommendation.

It really is mostly cosmetic differences in the end.

@Pessh said:

@JJOR64: Have you had any problems with the bezel scratching the top screen? (on either model) Hadn't heard about that before, slightly disconcerting

Just like with the DS Lite's "weak hinge" breaking, the problem stems from carrying it around in your pocket without a case for extended periods of time. The combination of dust and pressure can cause the scratches. As long as you remember to clean the screens and bezel, and have some sort of screen protector on the top screen for extra insurance against the dust, I wouldn't consider it to be a huge problem. A quick wipe with an eyeglass cloth fixes any rings I notice right away.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Willy105

Although I would have thought that the lower pixel density would have made the XL screen a downgrade, I was completely wrong. The 3DS XL screen is a vast improvement; pixel density doesn't matter much when the original screen is so small.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By toowalrus

It's worth noting that I keep my 3DS in one of those rad hard cases made for the DS lite. Like @NerdOnAWire: said, it might be more of an issue if you plan on carrying it around in your pocket. I should get a small cloth or something to keep inside the clamshell, good idea.

Wallzii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wallzii

I always told myself this wouldn't happen, but today I upgraded from my cosmo black 3DS I bought at launch to a new red 3DS XL. I couldn't help myself, it was $20 off, it just seemed like a no brainer. I even changed the shipping from the super saver option at Amazon to Express Priority for another $5, so it will get here early next week. Seems I wanted it more than I thought, and at checkout that became a realization.

Time to transfer all my goodies over and sell my old one.

orangesponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By orangesponge

Thank you, I've been wondering for a while now on which 3DS model to get. 3DS XL it is!

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By EarlessShrimp

@JJOR64: Even further, that XL doesn't cramp hands when you hold it. It's almost like it's designed for human hands! (not to knock the original design of course)

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By bibamatt

As an original 3DS owner, I'd say get the XL. I've played a fair bit on a friend's XL and it looks ridiculously better than the smaller one. I thought pixel density would be a problem, but it still looks good.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it's waaaaay late, but I take back what I've said. The flimsy floppy screen on my OG 3ds was starting to drive me crazy, so I went out and bought a 3DS XL. The resolution density change doesn't bug me as much as I thought it would, and it just feels like a more solid handheld.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The XL is fantastic. The resolution looks fine. It's a better device than the original handheld in every possible way.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xl it is a no brainer and this is coming from a dude who just made the same decision you did. It looks great, is not too heavy, fits easily in a large pocket or jacket pocket, DS games look great on it, the resolution difference is a non issue the games look great on the XL, and then there is the real killer win for the XL... cost. The original is only 30 dollars less, has a worse battery, a fingerprint magnet body, no included SD card, and screens that are 90% smaller but games that play at a resolution that looks great on the XL.

Get the better battery, 4gig SD card, larger screen, better looking DS games, with a body that doesn't attract finger prints and smudges. Pay the 30 extra, get the 3DS XL. I did and I don't regret it even a little.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody's mentioned yet how the XL won't cramp your hands as bad or as fast. Playing Mario Kart 7 on my original 3Ds became a test of my pain threshold after 20 minutes. On the XL I can play it for way longer. The resolution change is a good trade off for the bigger screens.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By egg

compare using GB Micro to play GBA games instead of GBA/DS

and PSP Go compared to PSP

I think most people would agree that having a bigger screen is better than having smaller pixels.

And thing is, 3DS resolution is gonna be a lot better than GBA and DS, so the pixels are going to be even less of issue than before.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally like the original size of the ds / 3ds. I do think the bigger screen on the xl's are very very helpful in making the game bigger but honestly. I think the XL versions are ugly as shit. Until they can make it look at nice as the regular versions then I will enjoy my small screens while my eyes are still in their 20's.

No Caption Provided

FYI, if you live in washington state and are near Mcchord airforce base and are looking for the fire emblem 3ds. Well they have 9 more from the time I got mine shipped from their location a week ago. As far as gamestop goes, it seems to be the only store on the west coast that has them in stock still.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.