Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

What's up with the lack of RPGs?

MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By MikeHawk

I like many different genres, but I like RPGs the most and it's pretty disheartening to see that there are next to none in the foreseeable future for the 3DS. Normally, Nintendo's IPs are enough to get me to buy a portable. Because I played Ocarina of Time 5 years ago and everything else coming from Nintendo this year is very iterative, I'm waiting for the first good RPG (or a 3DS redesign) to take the plunge. The only RPG I can think of that is even announced is the SMT: Devil Survivor remake/port, and despite my love for the Persona games, I don't like grid-based SRPGs. Is there a reason why so few RPGs are being developed for the 3DS?

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

It's new? Give it a year and there will be so many awful JRPGs, you won't know which one to waste time on first.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

Dude, the 3DS has only been out for a few months. Quality RPGs take time to develop. The original DS didn't start seeing good RPGs until over a year out, if memory serves correctly.

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Klaimore

I'm sure Nintendo knows that most of their audience like those awesome RPGs they released on the DS so I'm sure that with time they will release more. Though you are right I'm surprised nothing amazing was announced to come this holiday. So far its just some N64 ports.

MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MikeHawk
    @Hailinel said:

Dude, the 3DS has only been out for a few months. Quality RPGs take time to develop.

I understand that, I'd just like a couple developers to name-drop an upcoming game or something. Just so we all know that something good is coming eventually
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hailinel

@MrKlorox said:

It's new? Give it a year and there will be so many awful JRPGs, you won't know which one to waste time on first.

Nope, no obvious flame bait in this statement.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox

@Hailinel said:

@MrKlorox said:

I'm sorry you're offended that I dislike JRPGs. As if there's no genre you think is garbage.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hailinel

@MrKlorox said:

@Hailinel said:

@MrKlorox said:

I'm sorry you're offended that I dislike JRPGs. As if there's no genre you think is garbage.

There's no reason for you to come into this thread to make such a statement in the first place if the thread is about a genre that you don't like.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Go pick up Radiant Historia, you now have a quality RPG that works on your 3DS.

You're welcome.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrKlorox

@Hailinel: There are other forms of RPG that I love. But after reading the post, I gathered he was talking about the J variety; and since there wasn't an answer, I left one. If it was flame bait, you're nibbling pretty hard.

Hiashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Hiashi

Tales of the Abyss is coming to 3DS and it is an excellent jrpg if you havent already played it. Odds are high it will get an english localization.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Zippedbinders
    @Hailinel said:

Dude, the 3DS has only been out for a few months. Quality RPGs take time to develop. The original DS didn't start seeing good RPGs until over a year out, if memory serves correctly.

The first year or so of the DS was super dry for games at all, I only had Meteos, Phoenix Wright, and Mario 64 for the longest time. 

Just wait until Atlus, Square, and Namco start latching onto the 3DS. Hell, I still want my Endless Frontier sequel.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hailinel

@MrKlorox said:

@Hailinel: There are other forms of RPG that I love. But after reading the post, I gathered he was talking about the J variety; and since there wasn't an answer, I left one. If it was flame bait, you're nibbling pretty hard.

What kind of RPGs were you expecting to be on the 3DS, given what was produced for the DS? You're like an Elder Scrolls fan walking into a Final Fantasy discussion just to say how much their games suck.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

@Hailinel said:

@MrKlorox said:

What kind of RPGs were you expecting to be on the 3DS, given what was produced for the DS? You're like an Elder Scrolls fan walking into a Final Fantasy discussion just to say how much their games suck.

Right, except not. Keep ignoring the fact that I answered the OP because I have a bias you disagree with.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hailinel

@MrKlorox said:

@Hailinel said:

@MrKlorox said:

Right, except not. Keep ignoring the fact that I answered the OP because I have a bias you disagree with.

You walked in and called the genre he was referring to "awful" without provocation. The phrasing would be just as baiting if you replaced "JRPGs" with "FPS games", "strategy games," or "western RPGs." There was no reason for it.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox

@Hailinel: The majority of the genre actually being awful was my provocation. I didn't just pull it out of thin air. What's going on without reason here is you taking it like a personal insult.

MikeHawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MikeHawk
    @MrKlorox: just to clear the air, I was referring to any tyype of RPG, Japanese or Western. But obviously, WRPGs aren't exactly meant for portable systems with limited data storage.
    yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By yoshimitz707

Paper Mario

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hailinel

@MrKlorox said:

@Hailinel: The majority of the genre actually being awful was my provocation. I didn't just pull it out of thin air. What's going on without reason here is you taking it like a personal insult.

Pure opinion. Not provocation.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By coakroach

A Mario and Luigi game will come in good time i'm sure

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Rockdalf

Dude, Paper Mario is a pretty damn good RPG.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MrKlorox said:

This
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Sooty

not many coming apart from this it seems:

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mcfart
    @Hiashi said:

Tales of the Abyss is coming to 3DS and it is an excellent jrpg if you havent already played it. Odds are high it will get an english localization.

It already was localized on the PS2, but will they dub the skits on the 3DS version? Silent skits sucked.
    Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Vexxan

Give me Paper Mario or Pokémon. 3DS sales will exploooode!

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

This thread is pretty funny. Like 20% topic, 80% a dude defending himself for telling the truth. :D

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#28  Edited By jacksukeru

The sequel to that last Golden Sun game will probably come out for the 3DS sooner or later so tere's that. Hopefully it'll have difficulty settings this time around, in which case I'm putting that shit on Hard.

Then there's always Pokemon, but that's not so much an RPG as it is Pokemon, meaning you can like one without giving a damn about the other.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.