Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Are Nintendo Switch Vouchers worth it?

cubbielover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I barely play my switch. I have only played through half (maybe a little less than) of Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope over this past year, and that is about it for my Switch gaming. I am excited about Tears of the Kingdom because I really enjoyed Breath of the Wild, but I normally get physical switch games. So the idea of paying $30 more for Tears digitally and some other game in the next year sounds promising. Has anyone used the voucher system in the past? Is it worth it? I figure there will surely be SOMETHING I want to play in the next year, but I worry I will eventually settle for a game just because I have a voucher to burn.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Objectively, if you know there are games you want, yeah absolutely. If you're already paying into NSO, no reason not to take advantage of that.

cubbielover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope there is a Mario game that piques my interest in the next year. Here's hoping to the baseball one being a reality! :)

BionicJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making Pikmin 4 and Tears of the Kingdom voucher-eligible convinced me to buy the vouchers.

I'm also curious how long it will be before Odyssey 2 releases - also, are they going to allow vouchers for all first party releases?

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By noboners

@bionicjoe: they haven't confirmed if the vouchers are something that will stay moving forward, but these vouchers are good for most 2023 purchases and I'd assume it would cover every first party game.

I think the vouchers are definitely worth it. It shouldn't be hard to find 2 full priced games to use it on, and with tears of the kingdom already costing $70, any other game over $30 means you're saving money.

But if you don't think you'll buy another switch game this year, don't bother. Just swallow the $70 pill (if willing).

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's not exactly some arcane practice that requires deep analysis. It's 2 games for $100. If there are two full priced games you want for Switch, it's worth it. Not sure what you're hoping to hear from people here.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BisonHero

I’m curious what the thought process is on Nintendo offering the vouchers. I guess just another value-add to convince people to stay signed up for Nintendo Switch Online? And it might entice more people to buy digital from Nintendo, so they compete a little better with used game prices?

Like others say, it’s a solid enough deal if you intend to buy 2 games this year. Especially the prospect of getting a new Nintendo first party game for $50. Those games don’t go digitally on sale for usually a couple years, and I don’t think I’ve seen them go much more than like 30% off. Getting them at sale price at launch is nice as long as you already wanted to be signed up for NSO.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mellotronrules
    @bisonhero said:

I’m curious what the thought process is on Nintendo offering the vouchers. I guess just another value-add to convince people to stay signed up for Nintendo Switch Online? And it might entice more people to buy digital from Nintendo, so they compete a little better with used game prices?

my guess is once they're done counting all the dollars- selling you two digital games with no resale value and an implicit service fee ($100 for the vouchers plus $20 for online sub; so net $120 for them) is a better bet and incentive than trying to get you to pay $70 for everything.

you can definitely still 'win' if you're a consumer/nintendo fan- for example i know i'm bound to buy at least 2 full price switch games this year and was already subbed, so i can potentially save some money...

...buuut nintendo already has $120 of my money on the basis of what's effectively a Tears of the Kingdom preorder- so they've successfully secured the bag before i'm playing anything.

tl;dr- it's taking you for guaranteed $120 when they might have just been getting you for a single $60 or $70 purchase (without sub), under the pretense of future savings ($120 is basically like paying for 2 full price games anyway). it can simultaneously be a deal and clever price positioning/manipulation.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Ginormous76

@cubbielover: I used CostCo to get the Vouchers for $90 ($100 gift card for $90). I used one on Tears of the Kingdom, so I got it for $45 (~36% off). I have a year to use the other one. I won't have a problem using it.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worth it if you will buy full price games with it. There's a list of games on their site somewhere so check that.

I imagine the reasons they offer it are:
    - they net more from a digital sale vs. a physical sale
    - money now is better than money later
    - they can add a bullet point of things you get with NSO
    - there is some fraction of people who will end up buying something with this that they wouldn't have bought otherwise, because "it's a deal"

cubbielover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ginormous76: great minds think alike! That’s exactly what I was planning on doing. Save ten bucks by going through Costco. I wasn’t sure if gift cards could be used to buy the vouchers, but it’s good to see it works. Thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.