Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Nintendo Switch Virtual Console

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Does anyone else find it strange that we are barely over a month from release and there is still no official information about Virtual Console? I guess nothing should surprise me with Nintendo, but I can't imagine they release this console without having provided details on Virtual Console. Are there any further presentations planned between now and March 3?

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine it will be largely similar to what it was on the Wii-U. For Wii-U they let you download DS games and have both screens appear on the game pad so you can make use of the touch screen. Maybe they will add Gamecube games as well this time.

They've already mentioned that the monthly online bonus will be comprised of Virtual Console games including adding online multiplayer to SNES games. I imagine they will at least update their website with how it works sometime soon.

The Virtual Console and making money of that back catalogue legacy always seemed like a big deal for them. I would be surprised if they remained this quiet on it going into launch.

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Less than 3 weeks until release and Nintendo still maintains radio silence on the Virtual Console.

I have to believe if they had something interesting to announce, they would have already done it, so Switch Virtual Console must be a continuation of the awful Wii U Virtual Console strategy.

This is a big deal for me, so I'm leaning heavily toward canceling my pre-order before it ships. Why is Nintendo being so quiet about everything? Tell me there is some method to their madness other than trying to hide the fact that the Switch does nothing new and exciting.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bigsocrates  Online

There's a rumor that there's going to be a VC announcement this week that should explain things. Who knows if that will actually happen, though it's possible. I'm also very interested to know what's going on with the virtual console on the Switch, but I have resigned myself to Nintendo being Nintendo, which is to say frustratingly secretive and consumer unfriendly.

My guess is that the announcement is going to be disappointing to a lot of people. No carry forward from Wii U/3DS, a small selection of titles starting all over from 0, all that Nintendo bullshit that you'd think they'd finally put behind them. If it was going to be exciting you'd think they would have made the announcement earlier to get more pre-orders. Maybe they were waiting to see how the Switch pre-sold before deciding what to do exactly.

Anyway I hope I'm pleasantly surprised but given the announcements so far I don't think I will be. And it's insane that they've waited this long. I can't remember any console that had an announcement this important so close to launch. But it's Nintendo. It's what Nintendo does. They make great games and then they do everything in their power to make playing them a pain in the ass.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@sargon said:

Less than 3 weeks until release and Nintendo still maintains radio silence on the Virtual Console.

I have to believe if they had something interesting to announce, they would have already done it, so Switch Virtual Console must be a continuation of the awful Wii U Virtual Console strategy.

This is a big deal for me, so I'm leaning heavily toward canceling my pre-order before it ships. Why is Nintendo being so quiet about everything? Tell me there is some method to their madness other than trying to hide the fact that the Switch does nothing new and exciting.

Far be it from me or anyone else to tell you how to spend your money, but this seems really odd to me. Is virtual console really the make or break or feature to determine whether or not to buy an entire console?

Given the fact that you already pre-ordered it and pre-orders are hard to come by at this point, it just seems crazy to me that virtual console of all things would be the ultimate deciding factor in committing to a major console purchase like this.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 bigsocrates  Online

@ll_exile_ll: virtual console gives you something to do with this thing between Zelda and Mario!

Seriously though, with the launch lineup almost hilariously anemic having a strong virtual console lineup would make for a much stronger suite of available software. Especially for someone buying this as more of a portable than a home console. Having a well made portable with a nice screen to play classic games on is very appealing. There are lots of solutions for home retro play but great portables are rarer and having a nice library of classics on the go could be a make or break feature for some.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet they release it without any kind of Virtual Console

Sargon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: I understand your position, but my pre-order was made with the expectation that Nintendo would be detailing the Virtual Console (and their entire digital account infrastructure for that matter) leading up to release. I was far from sold on the system after the big presentation, but I went into my order knowing that I can decide to cancel it any time. The Virtual Console is important to me and is important enough to be the deciding factor in my purchase decision, but the issue is even larger than the Virtual Console at this point. There is still so much we don't know about the system, which leads me to question the direction of the Switch as a whole. If Nintendo still hasn't figured out how to create a robust and unified account system, perhaps they never will. And if they do have a solution in place, why haven't they told us yet?

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty crazy that they haven't gone into these details yet. They should let people continue to use all of their Wii U purchases on the Switch. It should be a persistent library attached to your Nintendo account. I can't believe that Nintendo has such a hard time making this happen.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My guess is that the announcement is going to be disappointing to a lot of people. No carry forward from Wii U/3DS, a small selection of titles starting all over from 0, all that Nintendo bullshit that you'd think they'd finally put behind them. If it was going to be exciting you'd think they would have made the announcement earlier to get more pre-orders. Maybe they were waiting to see how the Switch pre-sold before deciding what to do exactly.

It's so obvious that this is going to happen. Nintendo has never gotten it's shit together for a launch so it's kinda silly to expect otherwise. The fact that they aren't charging for online gameplay until the fall is evidence enough that online services are going to be sparse (at least until Spla2oon is out in the summer).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.