Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Purchasing the Switch abroad

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lethalki11ler

Hey duders, I'm currently in the Netherlands for the next month and a half and was originally planning on purchasing a Switch back home (Toronto, Canada) but I've found it readily available here for launch and I don't have a pre-order set (Gamestop messed up my pre-order somehow).

If I were to purchase it here, would I have any issues using it in Canada? Other than the power adapter (doesn't really bother me though if the power range is the usual 110-240V (working both in Europe and NA). Should I just wait until I'm back in Canada and wait for a restock?

Thanks <3

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Not sure future region restrictions wise, but maybe hard to return if it breaks down?

Spindini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Didn't Nintendo say the switch would be region free? So as noted, beyond the difference in the power adapter, I think you should be good to go. As far as breakdowns I would imagine any repairs (outside of a short period after purchase) would be sent to Nintendo. Either way good luck. hope it works out.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The Switch is region free but, like on the PS4, developers/publishers can decide to implement software-level region locking on their games... But oddly there is a "Region" option in the system settings below "Language" allowing you to change between: Japan, The Americas, Europe, and Australia/New Zealand. It's currently unknown exactly what this does since all the online functionality is still blocked for reviewers since the day-one patch isn't up yet. It would seem odd to allow developers to region-lock games, but allow the user to circumvent that in the options anyway. Similarly, it might allow moving between eShop regions but if that's the case, they might as well just have all eShop spaces being the same (only affected by language choice).

Nevertheless, you should be fine, but until that day-one patch goes up we can't be certain about that.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

True, thanks for the responses. I think I'll just buy it and worst case scenario sell it on Ebay to a European person :/

Much love GB community <3

coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@dixavd: I'd say it's more likely a case of games like Dragon Quest X only being playable from a Japanese IP address. Not a hard region lock, but limiting service based on geolocation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.