Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No Man's Sky

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 09, 2016

A procedurally generated space exploration game from Hello Games, the creators of Joe Danger.

Is this game MP only?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So this game really floored me but I had trouble understanding some of the details. Keighly was asking the dev (who I cant remember the name of so I'll call him Joe Danger) questions about mp as if it was almost mmo-like but Joe seemed nervous and I didnt really understand his answers as he seemed to go off on a tangent. Did anyone else have a better job understanding this?

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Oldirtybearon

In short: yes, it's an mmo. If you could call Love an mmo, anyhow.

I'd advise you to take the stance of "I'll believe it when I see it" because everything about that trailer looked like a magic trick. We're either being led to believe things that aren't true, or they are, kind of true and it'll be far more limited than we believe.

Or it could be exactly like Love and never come out at all.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TruthTellah

@hayt: He seemed to suggest that a lot of it is single player but there is a larger multiplayer construct around it. So, kind of that next gen "everything is partly multiplayer" thing. Though, some things like that seem less than absolute at this point; so, multiplayer could become more or less of the overall experience.

And yes, he was a young Peter Molyneux. But, hey, at least they're trying to do something interesting.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the answers.

Boo to that though. I dont want to play with the other kids. The magic and wonder of exploring anything is destroyed the second you see someone with a meme-username MMO bouncing across the landscape.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: To be fair, it's possible it may be optional in the final game. It seems like a rather ambitious game to also have to handle persistent MP, but we'll see. At this point, it seems undecided just how multiplayer it will be.

I would urge caution on whether or not this currently four man team will deliver, but it is at least an exciting prospect.

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like it might be like Indie Star Citizen to me so I good SP and MP portion but who knows looks awesome since I don't have a PC that would be able to run Star Citizen...

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

From what the lead dev described it seems that there will be other people in the world but you will largely be doing stuff on your own.

Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dimi3je

I would perfer to explore the galaxy on my own, but alas. Here's a interview with one of the 4 dudes who are developing it.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

Found an interview with the creators on RPS that seems to have answered this:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/09/first-look-no-mans-sky/

It sounds like asynchronous MP: you won't see other players, but you can share planets you discover with the community, and any "significant" changes are propagated.

A quote:

You’ll get credit for discovering the planet. You’ll also, if the materials there are valuable, attract players to come visit. No Man’s Sky isn’t a multiplayer game, in as much as you’ll never see another player. But the galaxy is the same between everyone and actions of “significance” will be shared. If you kill a single bird, that won’t be shared. If you make an entire species of bird extinct, then those creatures will blink out of existence for everyone.

That means you might want to keep quiet about a planet of valuable resources, so others don’t come and deplete it. I also instantly start thinking of ways to be devious. Can I upload false information to the galactic map? Can I lure people to a system full of pirates and then, when their ships crash and burn, steal materials from their ghostly hulls?

When I ask these questions, Murray is light on specifics, but hopes players will work cooperatively. “There are some things that you could do for the wrong reasons. You could broadcast certain information for the wrong reasons. But generally people are playing together cooperatively to the benefit of everyone. You can be a dick in the game if you want, but it has less point and less value.”

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the cynicism surrounding this game is kind of gross. i know we should take what they're proposing with a grain of salt, but i'm all for a small team like this to reach for the stars (lol). this is something we should be encouraging, as it may help give the industry a shot in the arm.

(insert kennedy moon landing speech here) :3

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Sounds like the best kind of multiplayer, based on the RPS article.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

the cynicism surrounding this game is kind of gross. i know we should take what they're proposing with a grain of salt, but i'm all for a small team like this to reach for the stars (lol). this is something we should be encouraging, as it may help give the industry a shot in the arm.

Agreed. Not to sound dismissive because I love 2D platformers but at least they're being original. Bring this game on, I say.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veektarius:

That was just penance for banging Marilyn Monroe.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game seems neat, but with so many unknown details, in my mind I am just seeing Starbound with modern graphics and first person view.

Alright, that idea seems great. If that's all this is, I'm sold.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Multiplayer would actually be pretty cool if the game was galaxy size and you would have to wander around for hours to finally find another players. But that's just me.

peakborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By peakborn

I'm still excited for this game but I can't help but be disappointed at the lack of small form co-op.

I couldn't help but think of exploring the depths of the galaxy with a friend during the asteroid belt clip or and taking down a space pirate on their six when the larger class ships jumped.

No Caption Provided

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@icemo: That was basically what I thought of when people were talking about what would make an Elder Scrolls MMO work. I'm definitely keen on the idea.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#21 fisk0  Moderator

@ripelivejam said:

Agreed. Not to sound dismissive because I love 2D platformers but at least they're being original. Bring this game on, I say.

This isn't the first time a small indie team have been able to make a large scale multiplayer capable space sim, so I think the project is feasible. The Evochron series was made by one guy (though with outsourced assets and music), as far as I know.

reckless_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

As far as I have learned thus far, there won't be any direct interaction between players - but I could be very very wrong.

This is based on Danny O'Dwyers Tumblr.

"To me it looks like a first person exploration game. I doubt you’ll be fighting in parties or leveling up in any sort of defined way. I imagine it’s more like FTL or Starbound in that your ‘progress’ is defined by your experiences and the things you’ve accumulated. It’s supposed to be hard, and the end goal of ‘get to the center of the universe’ is supposed to be only achievable by a small % of players. And only with ‘the help of others’. Though what that means is anyones guess. Perhaps some sort of crowd accomplishment like Noby Noby Boy?"

"It sounds to me like the multiplayer is less direct. That you can aid each other indirectly, but they wouldn’t confirm whether or not you could travel around with each other or even interact physically."

http://dannyodwyer.tumblr.com/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.