Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No Man's Sky

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 09, 2016

A procedurally generated space exploration game from Hello Games, the creators of Joe Danger.

Sean Murray streaming NMS on twitch now.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

is this with the day one update?

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@puchiko: yep, day one patch was live for people who got it early or digitally pre-loaded as of this morning.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pezen

Interesting seeing Sean take the jetpack up to the upper level entrance in the space station (just like every other streamer I have seen) instead of walking up the stairs and along the walk way. Made me think of this presentation I saw on city planning regarding how you should build paths based on behaviour rather than design because humans have a tendency to use the path of least resistance.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for sharing the link! Looks like he's switching to a midgame save now.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#6  Edited By alistercat

Love the development beard.

Some info: they will be moderating planet names

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: thought they would just have a filter, guess that isn't adequate. don't know how they'll even manage to do that, either.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Framerate does not look appealing but who knows if its just a poor stream. Looks like it chugs heavily when stuff is happening though which usually aint the behaviour of a poor stream.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no idea there were corpse runs in this game.

Subscryber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He really ought to be selling this better. This looks just as dull as the leaked streams I've seen. I want this game to be good, but it looks like a disappointing exercise in tedium and inventory management.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: thought they would just have a filter, guess that isn't adequate. don't know how they'll even manage to do that, either.

Well there are 18 quintillion planets but not 18 quintillion players. that and they have a live feed of all the names coming in from players.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subscryber: what you're describing is finding out that a game isn't for you, not that it's bad. It's OK. At least you can move on now. As far as I am concerned this is exactly what I expected it to be and what I wanted to play. It's not an exciting game, and that's a quality I like.

DrStrangepork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pezen: But I'm sure that there would be people upset if they didn't include the stairs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla: Lot of what Ive seen from people playing is that is it 60 fps, but the PS4 locks streaming FPS to 30.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hmm, I don't know what to think of this game anymore. Im definitely going to get it and hopefully enjoy it but, man, does it ever look really lifeless and boring. It seems like its missing some kind of character or personality.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@katygaga said:

hmm, I don't know what to think of this game anymore. Im definitely going to get it and hopefully enjoy it but, man, does it ever look really lifeless and boring. It seems like its missing some kind of character or personality.

It really sounds like you shouldn't be buying this game. At least not until it's out and you've had a chance to watch some substantial coverage that isn't early streams from randoms.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sure hope PC gets some mods for quick inventory management.
    Or better still, if they are there to begin with.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

As far as survival games go, I just think Subnautica still is the king of the genre, and looks to have much more depth and features than NMS.

CountPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CountPickles

@alistercat: yeah, but I don't think we'll be getting good coverage of it for a while. I assume it will essentially be just more people playing the game the way Sean was just playing it.

Maybe its one of those games that you need to play yourself to enjoy. But, seriously, it really does look like a vast open sand box of just lifeless, characterless blandness. Again, I'm judging this all through videos I've seen. Maybe it'll be different when I play it. I really would like it to be good but so far I have feeling it'll be Spore all over again

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By alistercat

@katygaga: then don't buy it for a while, there's not rush. You'll have personal goals and more context when you play but I wouldn't expect it to be much different. I just don't see why you'd take the risk when you seem down on it. I only buy games I know I like.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ripelivejam

@devil240z: i sure hope that's Jeff right now naming all his planets Planet McPlanetyFace X

...though he might already be sad that he can't entirely obliterate a planet

Subscryber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subscryber: what you're describing is finding out that a game isn't for you, not that it's bad. It's OK. At least you can move on now. As far as I am concerned this is exactly what I expected it to be and what I wanted to play. It's not an exciting game, and that's a quality I like.

Just my opinion. I'm perfectly aware that it's okay that this game likely isn't for me. Doesn't mean it's above criticism, or that my opinion isn't objective in some way because it's not for me. It might very well be not for me simply because it's not good. I don't love survival games, but I think Don't Starve is a great game on an objective level. I would actually be perfectly content with this kind of "experience" game if it were $15 or $20. They're billing it as more, and that's why I believe it's more than fair to criticize the shallowness of the gameplay experience.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drstrangepork: Not saying they shouldn't have put it in, but the way they're implemented seems to make people use the jetpack, which makes me curious how they decided on the design.

But this game seems filled with weird scale issues where it seems things are big but still somehow built for very few. The station is a shining example of that. Big hangar space, small walkway, small rooms, narrow corridors. etc.

Ydross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"That means this maybe isn’t the game you *imagined* from those trailers. If you hoped for things like pvp multiplayer or city building, piloting freighters, or building civilisations… that isn’t what NMS is. Over time it might become some of those things through updates."

"This game might not be for everyone, I expect it to be super divisive, but I’m sat here watching playtesters right now who weren’t supposed to be in, but just wanted to play and chill out. I can’t wait for you to experience that for yourselves."

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/what-do-you-do-in-no-mans-sky/

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Looks rather dull, tbh. ¯\_(シ)_/¯

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
    Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

beyond fingers in ears and screaming lalalalala - just got notified the game shipped and tracking it like a hound. I'm excited because I didn't build this up to be anything more than a chill space discovery game with an older school SciFi feel instead of the drab gritty newer stuff. Can't wait to just jump in and pick a direction to fly.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Quipido

Oh cool, they said (in the stream) you can not take the pre-order weapon and gun, which is great becasue I hate that stuff, which is there to "help" you skip an early part of a game. Why would anyone do that? Sean said it's there aviable to be redeemed so it's optional, which is perfect!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I hope the guys, East or West, do a livestream of this game tomorrow. I think it's a big enough release to warrant a show instead of a typical Quick Look? Not like there is anything else going on.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido: Nice, so it's not forced upon your if you don't want it? that is a smart way to do it. Some people will want it, and that's fine. Others won't but wouldn't be able to resist the temptation if it was in their inventory (I probably fall under that) so just don't have to take it at all.

auzurafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went back and watched the original launch trailer for NMS and it's easy to see why everyone was so excited. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCgWabJssVI)

It seemed like there was SO MUCH but in reality it's not as dense. Sean repeatedly refers to the game as "chill" and based on what I ahve seen that seems like the perfect descriptor. Just cruising from planet to planet, mining stuff, giving goofy names to goofy animals and planets admiring the environments and doing some tasks. It was never billed as what people seem to think it is - the be all end all to space games - but they have never been great with wording. What they said often came off as vague, as if they were hiding something. Which led to speculation, which led to more hype. So it goes.

Personally, the past few days, especially with this new patch, have re-energized my interest in this game. I was always interested, but seeing it for what it really is - a relaxing space journey with the occasional not so relaxing running for your life or combat - really grabbed me. I am still hesitant to bite the bullet for the full $60, but it will probably happen pending nothing terrible comes up at after launch.

I just wish people would stop ragging on the game/devs for the game not being what they want it to be. I'm sure some will be clamoring for NMS to be the most disappointing game of the year just because it wasn't the constant high speed action adventure they were expecting. It's the current punching bag, with people pointing to absolutely any fault they can find, such as minor reused textures or assets that you would never notice/care about in any other game. NMS will be at it's best when the hype dies down finally, and move on to whatever the next target is, leaving the people who enjoy thew game to fly around and name planets after genitalia nicknames.

But maaaaan do I think co-op would be amazing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff Bakalar is having some fun

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By Humanity
    ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think if you want the space game you thought (or more likely imagined) this was youre better off getting elite dangerous or waiting for star citizen.

Ydross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The aggressive drones in the Jeff stream looked annoying as hell! The part where he was trying to figure out the crashed ship while getting attacked by drones every 5 second was infuriating to watch. The shooting and combat didnt look very fun also. That will probably be one of the game bad side.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I hope the guys, East or West, do a livestream of this game tomorrow. I think it's a big enough release to warrant a show instead of a typical Quick Look? Not like there is anything else going on.

I was hoping for something similar but there's a quicklook listed on the upcoming slot so doesn't look like that will happen. Maybe a Playdate from beast but probably not if they are the ones that did the quicklook.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.