Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Oculus Rift

Accessory »

The Oculus Rift is a virtual reality headset for the PC released in March 2016.

My thoughts after one day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
    deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I ended up buying a Rift. It was delivered this morning and I spent the whole day messing around with it. I honestly was about to send it back after a few hours. The reason? VR sickness got to me bad. I bought the Rift so I could use it for sim racing. I started out my VR day by trying Lucky's Tale and I felt a little off after about ten minutes of playing. But after a pauze of five minutes I was OK again so I loaded up Project cars to see what it would do.

So there I was sitting in my Aston Martin looking around for a minute or two, taking in the VR-ness of it all. I gently pushed the throttle and rolled out the pit lane. I was feeling fine so I started to accelerate a bit and took my first corner at a reasonable pace. The world started turning and my brain couldn't take it. A wave of nausea hit me and I had to stop the car. I wasn't expecting this would be easy but the immediacy of the disorientation caught me by surprise. So I set off again at a ridiculously slow pace. After finishing my lap in a dismal time I just had to get out of the Rift. I felt so bad I had to lay down for a couple of hours.

That's the moment when I started thinking of sending the thing back. Some people are just not made for VR and I was thinking I was one of them. But I decided to give it one more go. This time I loaded up The Lab and that was kinda fun but not exactly something I had bought a headset for. Google Earth VR was a revelation though. For some reason I had no problems flying around my hometown at breakneck speed and I really enjoyed the whole experience. So I decided to give racing one more shot. And sure enough after starting a bit slow I suddenly realized that my brain had made a click. I didn't feel motion sick at all as I started to go faster and faster. An hour later I found myself drifting a Caterham 500 like mad around Spa.

At this point I am a converted man. The Immersion and car feel VR gives you really is something else. If you are into sim racing a headset is a game changing addition. You have to be aware of the downfalls though. The resolution is not that great and if you are like me you will have to get used to the feeling. I will be keeping the rift after all and am looking forward to loosing many hours racing around in VR.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DanishingAct

Glad that worked out for you duder. I wonder if everyone can acclimate to vr if they get the exact right type of game/software, or not. If would be interesting to see what gets people over the hump and if you could make the process streamlined.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.