Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Orcs Must Die! 3

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Jul 14, 2020

A once-Stadia exclusive third entry into the Orcs Must Die! series.

Not A Good Game For Stadia

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Orcs Must Die is a game that, in the later levels, can result in the player leaving the game to run for hours. Unfortunately this doesn't work for Stadia, because the player will be kicked out of their session to save bandwidth on the Stadia server. Being kicked results in the game session ending, erasing all unsaved progress.

Besides all of that, the game is currently very lacking in traps and trinkets, almost to a "Early Access" degree.

Skip the Stadia version and wait for PC and console release.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wait Stadia's sessions are time-limited? I thought that was only the case for Geforce Now (1 hour for free members & 6 hours for paying members)

krelmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If I remember from earlier orcs must die games once you set the traps and hit go it can take awhile for the orcs to get back to where the player is. I’m assuming that if Stadia considers you idle during that time it might kick you off? Any clarification from the original poster would be appreciated. I played the original orcs must die on Onlive’s streaming platform after watching the quick look that must have been at least 5 years ago when I only had a MacBook and wanted to play PC games on it. I gave up after “buying” saints Row the third and having it be nearly unplayable with the input lag. Haven’t tried Stadia. Have a PC and a switch now. No need.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Is this out on other platforms? I remember liking OMD1 (2 less so).

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeez, if the game requires you to maybe sit still and wait for something to happen for hours, that might not be a stadia problem.

krelmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: it’s a Stadia exclusive!

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Leaving the game idling is not how I remember playing any of those games. They give you a weapon for a reason. I also didn't know they were making a third! The last one they made was a F2P disaster and now they're going back but making it Stadia exclusive? Very questionable business decisions from that company.

Dareitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: my understanding is that they couldn't find publisher funds/support until they were approached by Stadia. OMD2 really didn't do well so maybe there is some truth to that

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@dareitus: It didn't do well? Well "Unchained" did horribly hence why it was shut down. If they're funding it that totally makes sense, thanks.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By BBAlpert

I checked the Robot Entertainment website and a little ways down on the FAQ, they confirm that it will eventually come to Steam (and no, your save won't transfer between versions). So it seems like the smart move is to wait (unless you don't mind losing progress).

https://robotentertainment.com/omd3_faq

No Caption Provided

Also on the matter of having to wait, I feel like the game encourages you more than previous games to take a more active role during the waves. For the early parts of most missions especially, your traps alone are simply not going to stop too many units. So you're usually going to need to do some not insignificant amount of cleanup to catch everything that runs right through your killbox, especially if you're going for a par time.

Now while that might sound like I'm trying to defend the game by saying that, I kind of preferred the more passive "sit back and watch your Rube Goldberg nightmare deathtrap do all the heavy lifting for you" style of OMD1. Not to say that there isn't still some element of that here, there's just not as much of it.

*Edit: After spending more time with the game (particularly in Endless mode), the inability to leave the game running idle does seem like a bigger potential issue than I gave the OP credit for.

Danwulfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is probably the best game on Stadia at the moment and goes back to it's OMD1/OMD2 routes.

I've seen a couple people mention about Stadia logging you out after 15 minutes of inactivity, whilst this is a pain at least there is workarounds like a macro to keep jumping or shooting (though not useful if you want to use your PC still). It's also later into Endless this occurs.

Whilst the game doesn't have as many trinkets, or traps as previous games, there is still plenty to choose from to.

Want to also add to this, Stadia will let you trial Pro, free for a month and it's pretty worth it as OMD3 is part of that trial so you can play it and get a good feel for it.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played an OMD game, but is it a requirement to be left alone to run in the background? Or is that a player preference that the dev's don't directly encourage?

Cause if the latter, Stadia definitely will time you out after 15 minutes. But I've never had an issue of lost progress due to a time out. Hopefully that gets address ASAP.

Danwulfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ry_ry said:

I've never played an OMD game, but is it a requirement to be left alone to run in the background? Or is that a player preference that the dev's don't directly encourage?

Cause if the latter, Stadia definitely will time you out after 15 minutes. But I've never had an issue of lost progress due to a time out. Hopefully that gets address ASAP.

It's certainly not a requirement for it to be left alone to run, and the game encourages you not to do that by having ways to destroy your barricades.

Only time you can kinda go afk is in some situations if you're doing endless and have made a decent enough killbox even then it's a simple enough workaround to just tap left click/create a toggable macro to shoot/jump/do an action.

keithmaclroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By keithmaclroz

Stadia has failed badly. I didn't like this game either. There are a lot of shortcomings in it that it is impossible to close your eyes to. In addition, these disadvantages are enormous. If you like to kill orcs, then there is a great alternative game. The game Shadow of Mordor is based on the movie The Lord of the Rings. This game is simply amazing, and there are a lot of orcs in it. Especially this game will appeal to fans of the Lord of the Rings movie. You can become a part of this story and this world with the help of this game.

https://www.thetolkienforum.com/wiki/Bag-End

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@budwyzer said:

can result in the player leaving the game to run for hours.

We can't just gloss this over. Why are you being made to leave the game running idle "for hours"?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.