Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Outward

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 26, 2019

An open world third-person action-heavy RPG with heavy emphasised survival and optional co-op elements. Outward is a game that puts players in the shoes of an everyday adventurer venturing forth in an unforgiving world.

Anyone play Outward yet?

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

This game just released on steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/794260/Outward/

Anyone play it yet?

Avatar image for sarcasticmudcrab
    SarcasticMudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SarcasticMudcrab

Yes and it's fantastic. Bit if a rough gem maybe. It's a pity it will get completely overlooked.

m7felts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By m7felts

i love the game, currently working on a guide and review. it looks like its still in beta.. so im sure updates will becoming around already had 1.6gb patch after 24 hours if that isnt a clear sign of wanting to build a good game then idk what is. everything in this game is PERFECT other than, a rough combat system & weird glitches with the sun. i believe its when a mountain gets in the way of the sun and you do a 360 with your camera it just fraks out and doesn't know what to illuminate. completely playable on a 1050 ti + i3 8100 55-60 fps while recording gameplay.

if you like rust minecraft or darksouls you will like this game!

Avatar image for dukesideofthemoon
    dukesideofthemoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's downloading on my PS4 now, I saw the trailer on the epic store and it thought it looked crazy. It really is sad that there is not more buzz about this.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's on my list! I'm currently playing The Division 2, Far Cry: New Dawn, and Sekiro so I've got a full plate at the moment.

How's the survival aspect? Eating, drinking, and sleeping isn't something I usually like in my games because it always seems like more of a hassle than actual gameplay mechanics.

ChaosOrdeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If people like it, I have no problem with that, but I ABSOLUTELY HATED it. The cheap-looking character models did not set me up on a good note, but it was the very first fight that started the return process. I killed one wolf, then the other one -- I walk up to it, hit my attack button, it dodges, THEN my sword swings. Rinse repeat, I die. It's like I was really pressing a "Your Opponent Dodges" button. Yeah, I have many better ways to spend my time.

dodgy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've not jumped in yet I'm thinking about buying it for my brother-in-law who plays Ark with his daughter, does anyone have experience of both?

Heard about it on the Twin Humanities podcast when I was expecting Sekiro they came out with one about this and I usually trust their passion on games

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Late to the post, but what an amazing game. I'm around 43 hours into my first playthru, and I will probably jump right back in when I'm done to see the other 2 paths the game can go in. The art style is amazing, I feel like I'm always looking at a painting. Can't say enough good about this game. It's a real shame it got no coverage on the site.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Wow, happy for you guys but i found it to be completely unplayable, felt very cheaply put together. Not trying to shit talk but if anyone's on the fence don't play this if you found things like Risen, Two World's, or Gothic to be....bad

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I bounced off of it, unfortunately.

I found the open world to be far too empty for its size. I think I know one reason why: the combat can be difficult and is rife with consequences for mistakes, and if the world was more populated with enemies it could make travel too difficult. It feels like it could use another balance pass in order to make the world feel more alive.

But it's not just the lack of enemies, it's the lack of everything. There's just not a lot of things to discover.

Combine that with a lack of any kind of fast travel and all the running back and forth through an empty world became too tedious to continue.

The game has some interesting ideas. It's a shame it couldn't hold my interest.

IesuNoel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Still rocking through the game. It somehow feels really good to play and walk through, like a real journey with a lot of silence in between. I think that makes it better for some odd reason.

Avatar image for thedapperswindler
    thedapperswindler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently on my third attempt (first two went sideways as soon as I left town) and there' something about this game that keeps me coming back. I've had more than enough "fuck this" moments to make me want to stop playing for good but I can't put it down.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I picked this up during the recent Steam summer sale. It's been a while since I've gotten into a grand open-world RPG, so I really wanted to like it. After giving it a shot for a few hours though, I just can't deal with how incredibly punishing it is.

The combat in this game is brutal and requires a level of patience and care with blocking, dodging, and stamina management that I couldn't get into and frankly never felt good. I'm sure as you learn the systems and become better equipped to deal with the combat that it improves, but it's initially an incredibly steep hill to climb. Walking out of the first town and immediately getting your ass handed to you by two random bandits is just not the sort of experience that I'm looking for in a game.

I like the idea of no manual saves and no fast travel, but in this case, it only serves to compound the difficulty in a way that begins to just feel unfair.

This is one of those games that I can tell some people will get really into and love it (that's further evidenced by the replies to this thread), but I'm not one of those people.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.