Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Overwatch

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released May 23, 2016

A sci-fi multiplayer first-person shooter from Blizzard, in which players can choose from a wide range of Heroes with unique weapons and abilities. It was later discontinued in 2022 for the free-to-play sequel.

Overwatch Lore Overview: Soldier 76!

ripk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By ripk

Lore Overview is a new idea I've been thinking about doing for a while now. I wanted a way to improve my writing skills and an outlet for me to discuss my love of video games. The goal of these blogs is to inform you on the backstory of some of my favorite characters, and hopefully give some insight on to why these characters are who they are. Let's get started!

Morrison with the original Overwatch
    Morrison with the original Overwatch

The Rise of Overwatch

Around 30 years ago in the world of Overwatch, the Omnic Crisis brought the human race to it's knees. This event warrants it's own entry in the series, but for now i'll put it simply: Sentient robots attacked all humans for reasons unknown by using our own technology against us. To combat these robots (known as Omnics), the United Nations established Overwatch; a global protection force who belonged to no single nation. Gabriel Reyes (now known as Reaper) was the chosen leader of this organization, but Jack Morrison was the one Overwatch members most respected. Both products of a super-soldier program, Reyes and Morrison were already very close friends, and together led the human race against the Omnics.

The "Death" of Jack Morrison

After the Crisis, Jack became the first ever Commander of Overwatch. As you might think, this caused a rift between Reyes and Morrison, and the two would never recover from it. However, Overwatch became a prominent organization, people respected them, even referred to them as their heroes. Morrison was now a global celebrity, but still remained grounded and focused on his mission to make the world a better place. Several years after the Omnic Crisis and the rise of Overwatch, the group was shaken by allegations (of what, we do not know) and became media punching bags. They blamed Overwatch for anything and everything they could, and public opinion of the "heroes" rapidly fell. During this time the rift between Reyes and Morrison grew even larger, and eventually erupted into physical fight between the two men at Overwatch's Swiss headquarters. At some point during this fight, the two men caused an explosion that destroyed the complex, and the two men were presumed Deceased, and Overwatch was shut down.

"You're one of those heroes, aren't you?"

Soldier: 76

Both men actually survived the explosion, and quickly went into hiding. 5 years after the fall of Overwatch Morrison, now donning the name "Soldier: 76" carried out a series of raids on shadowy corporations, corrupt banks, and former Overwatch facilities. He stole advanced weaponry, like his pulse rifle and visor during these raids, and only used lethal force on people he deemed "evil". He became an international criminal, wanted by many governments and corporations for his crimes against them. However, he manages to stay hidden by always being on the move, always traveling to new places on his new mission. Soldier: 76 now aims to expose the truth on the fall of Overwatch, and bring those responsible to justice...or their graves if necessary.

Thanks for reading! If you have any comments or criticism, please let me know! I enjoyed writing this and look forward to doing many more Lore Overviews!

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Love this post! I really enjoy reading about any and all lore, so please keep these coming. The only suggestion I have is that more detail is always better than less, so if you want to write a ten page treatise on D.Va's MLG career I say go for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sentient robots attacked all humans for reasons unknown by using our own technology against us.

The omnics attacked humans because, they are sentient and humans used them as slaves, basically.

Several years after the Omnic Crisis and the rise of Overwatch, the group was shaken by allegations (of what, we do not know) and became media punching bags.

This is where Blackwatch comes in. Blackwatch was the "behind the scenes" group, led by Reyes, and they handled things ruthlessly. That's why people accused them of corruption. They didn't know the difference between regular Overwatch and Blackwatch.

I might be wrong, but I think these are the reasons.

Hamborgini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it John or Jack Morrison? You refer to him both ways.

Do we know if he was into racing? The "76" jacket looks to me like something a speedy race car or motorcycle driver would wear.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This Youtube channel has been doing a series called Lorewatch that is going over a lot of the known lore from the game, the comics, animated shorts, etc.

ripk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ripk

@whatshisface: I wanted to go more in depth on Blackwatch when i did Reaper's lore, i thought the post was already pretty long as it was. You're basically right, Reyes led Blackwatch in an "Us vs Them" sort of thing against Overwatch and it's what led to their destruction. I assume 76 is hunting the former members of Blackwatch when they say he's going after the people responsible for the fall of Overwatch.

@darth_navster: Thanks I really appreciate it! I'm working on one about Hanzo and Genji now and i'll try to go more in depth.

@hamborgini:Jack, i got him mixed up with a different character :p i'l fix it.

ripk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ripk

@alkusanagi: I prefer Hammeh's videos myself, but these are just as detailed.

Edit: I just looked around and it seems nobody knows why 76 wears his jacket. I guess i just assumed it was the year Overwatch fell?

Edit 2: the Overwatch wiki says Jack Morrison, but BlizzardWatch says John "Jack" Morrison? I'm assuming people just call him both in Overwatch's world.

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

Nice overview. I'd like to see more like this. I disagree with @darth_navster, I'd rather read a well edited overview. If it was any longer it would probably start to contain fan fiction material; I think it's better to just have the information that Blizzard has provided as canon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.