Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Patapon 2

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 27, 2008

Patapon 2 is the sequel to the original critically acclaimed real-time musical/rhythm strategy game, Patapon.

Why Sony, why?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Jayge_
    Why the hell would you choose Patapon 2 for a digital distribution-only release?

Patapon is a game you want to have in your collection. Why would anyone go to GameStop and essentially buy a fucking box? What is the point of that? And what's going to happen when people who don't know about the code deal open the box and find that they have to create a PSN account, link that PSN account to their PSP, go into the PSN Store (on their PC or PSP), enter a lengthy code, and download the game onto their memory sticks? And what will happen when they look at the PSN Store and find that they could have bought the same game for 5 bucks less and realize that (full circle here) they ended up dropping a 5 for a plastic case? (Although it isn't in that article, it's been reported that the PSN version will be 15 bucks rather than 20.)

I support DD, but I also support giving people choices. And I can't help but think that Patapon 2 as a game is doomed sales-wise with this decision. What are the chances for a Patapon 3 if this little "experiment" fails? This reeks of a knee-jerk SCEA response to people claiming that they don't put enough content on the PSN Store. I guess we'll wait and see. Obviously, I don't like it.

inb4 someone comes in and tells me I'm overreacting. It's not a Jayge-started thread if someone doesn't tell me I'm overreacting.
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By weltal

Why? Because Sony wants to see if they can release game digitally only and make more money than selling through a retailer. I don't really care because I'm buying it no matter what.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By raven_squad

Hmmm....I'm with you. In fact, I may not even end up getting to play the game, as I much prefer owning a physical copy of the games I purchase. I might end up getting it eventually, but... it will be far down the list now. 

Bad decision was bad. 
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Steve_C

Seems like they're testing the waters for the rumoured 'PSP 2' stuff. Having the option to buy stuff in-store keeps retailers happy i guess, rather than cutting them out, and it makes it more accessible to the mainstream - at least before they realise they have to actually download it.

The game's already been released as a boxed copy over here, so if you're that interested you can import a UK/EU copy. I really need to pick it up as it's only £15 on amazon, and i never got around to playing the first one despite my interest, but i still have loco roco 2 to start playing.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By TheJollyRajah

What happens to someone who doesn't have internet? I know it's pretty easy to locate a wireless hotspot these days, but it seems restrictive without the option to own a UMD copy. 

"This reeks of a knee-jerk SCEA response to people claiming that they don't put enough content on the PSN Store."

If this is true, then Sony didn't solve anything. Taking games that should be released through retail and then making them PSN-exclusive is backwards thinking. We want ORIGINAL content.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jayge_
    TheJollyRajah said:
    "What happens to someone who doesn't have internet? I know it's pretty easy to locate a wireless hotspot these days, but it seems restrictive without the option to own a UMD copy. 

"This reeks of a knee-jerk SCEA response to people claiming that they don't put enough content on the PSN Store."

If this is true, then Sony didn't solve anything. Taking games that should be released through retail and then making them PSN-exclusive is backwards thinking. We want ORIGINAL content.
    "
    The thing is, Sony seemed to be adopting the "release on UMD, and on the Store" business plan when they talked about the PSP all of last year. "oh, yeah, our first party games will get simultaneous releases... yeah... we'll put more stuff up..." and then games like Resistance Retribution or Loco Roco didn't find their way up there (for Americans at least, and I think Europeans) among other promised content. Now people are like "... where the fuck is the content?" and this seems like "AH SHIT THROW WHATEVER WE'VE GOT THEY'RE GOING TO EAT US ALIVE".  The point is, they should be going for simultaneous releases, as long as it isn't possible to back up your games onto physical media that you can store or play elsewhere.

Original content seems to be too hard for them to grasp; I doubt anyone even bothered playtesting or performing Q&A on No Gravity. The game has an unreadable HUD and a bunch of other fucked up shit that Sony would never have let through if they were paying attention. It's obvious that they don't really care about the Store, even if they pretend to and hide behind licensing issues and other things that don't exist for the majority of titles or content that gamers want to see.

That post made sense in my head.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince

The move towards the PSP slider perhaps? UMD-less PSP perhaps?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayge_
    LiquidPrince said:
    "The move towards the PSP slider perhaps? UMD-less PSP perhaps?"
    Possibly.

I guess I should clarify that I can come up with a lot of my own answers and theories on the issue of moving towards straight-DD. The topic title was more rhetorical. I'm just slightly miffed that they've chosen to potentially crucify Patapon, which should be one of Sony's most important developing IPs, for the experiment.

There's also the flipside that Patapon might break the barrier and help make the move towards a DD-only or heavily DD-based Sony system in the future. Who knows. I'd still rather be grumpy about it.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Reta reta retarded.

Physical copies are nice for this kind of thing, but won't this make the battery life go up, now that the disc doesn't have to be spun?
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jayge_
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Reta reta retarded.

Physical copies are nice for this kind of thing, but won't this make the battery life go up, now that the disc doesn't have to be spun?
    "
    Yes, that's what tends to happen when you run from the memory stick.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Jayge said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "Reta reta retarded.

"
    Yes, that's what tends to happen when you run from the memory stick.
    "
    That's good, at least.
    Avatar image for vitaminwateryum
    VitaminWaterYum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VitaminWaterYum
    dcpc10 said:
    "If you dont support DD, don't buy it. If you do, buy it. Simple as that, and like Sony said: ''It's a test case''"
    It seems you didn't read his post all the way.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Karmum
    dcpc10 said:
    "If you dont support DD, don't buy it. If you do, buy it. Simple as that, and like Sony said: ''It's a test case''"
    But if you want to play the game, you are utterly boned. What happens if you want a physical copy of the game, but only DD is present? DD might be nice, but some people like physical-copies of games. Why do it on a sequel to a great game? You are screwing a lot of your customers. It is always nice to have that alternate option to digital-distribution.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Red

It's an experiment. Even though I think Patapon 2 is too good for an experiment, it's not a huge deal.

Vecta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vecta

Good thing I could walk down to my local game store in Australia and pick up a physical copy. That's if I wanted to get it.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By get2sammyb

I'd get used to this if I were you. This is obviously the direction Sony are heading. For me personally -- I much prefer buying my PSP games from the Playstation Store and copying them to my (now really cheap to buy) 8GB memory stick.

Is this game only just coming out in US? I got the review copy like, MONTHS ago. Why the delay?

Volgin13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Volgin13

Its digital only because:

1. Way easier to release
    2. More convenient to consumer
    3. Uses less power than a UMD
    4. PSP 4000 rumors state that this is the plan for all future psp games since the newest model may do away with the UMD to save more battery life.
    neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By neoepoch
    Volgin13 said:
    "Its digital only because:

1. Way easier to release
    2. More convenient to consumer
    3. Uses less power than a UMD
    4. PSP 4000 rumors state that this is the plan for all future psp games since the newest model may do away with the UMD to save more battery life.
    "
    It is also more convenient to Sony. Eventually they are going to cut out the middle man (i.e. Gamestop) and kill the used market on Patapon 2. Hell, developers are always complaining about the used market, now Sony is actually taking initiative.
    PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PercyChuggs

I buy games to play them, not to have them in a collection to show off to my friends. Get with the times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.