Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX East 2014

Concept »

The fifth annual PAX East took place April 11-13, 2014 at the Boston Exhibition & Convention Center in Boston, Massachusetts.

Pax East 2014 3 day passes sold out in less then a hour

chrisovc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Luckily got mine ordered in time, There still selling Single day passes so for anyone who wants to go... GET ON IT!!!

Raych56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Raych56

AGHHHH what day do i pick? when is the giant bomb panel usually?

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

AGHHHH what day do i pick? when is the giant bomb panel usually?

Two years ago it was on Saturday, last year it was on Friday.

supergg2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am strongly considering buying a Friday and a Saturday ticket to make sure I don't miss it. Yeah it's $5 more than the three day but I wouldn't be able to go Sunday anyway.

Raych56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm no where near Boston so you guy's enjoy the show, I have to wait until Seattle and hope I have a job.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ripelivejam

Dickwolves.

[/commenceshitstorm]

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

sitting in the queue for Friday/Saturday passes now, its insane how much crazier it is this year than it was last year.

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is crazy. I was on the site at noon, refreshing and waiting for the option to buy tickets to show up. Finally the option does, but when i could it was like 12:45 and all the 3 day passes were already gone!

Apparently @official_pax sent out a tweet with a link for where to buy the tickets early after they went on sale. It would've been nice to get that on the pax east page....

Guess I'll have to buy 3 1-day passes. Unless there's a chance that they could let some extra 3 day passes go on sale, once people have cancelled?

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was able to get 3 - 1 day passes as I was working when the passes became available and couldn't get to the website at noon. This will be my first PAX so the extra 45 bucks sucks, but I'm still gonna enjoy the hell out of it and I'm sure it will be worth it.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

any of you guys know if they sell tickets at the event itself?

this crazyniess to be the first one to get these tickets in under a hour is too much, id rather pay the premium for the 3 days and get the tickets there if possible.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke: From what I read about last years tickets, it sounds like the actual one day tickets sold out but it took much longer then it appears these are going to last.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aviar: but do they sell tickets at the pax site itself?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Whoah. Glad to know Pax is still going strong after the whole controversy.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke: The PAX site links to like, a dedicated ticket booking site that is far more capable of handling this stuff, which I believe is the only place where passes are sold. I don't think they save any passes to sell at the door because they're already kinda charging a premium to anyone who doesn't get a 3-day pass. If you don't buy some one-day passes online, you probably won't be able to attend the show.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan: The thing with the controversy is that a very small (vocal) minority of gamers care enough about gender politics and whatever to even be aware of this "ongoing" controversy (which at this point is only ongoing in the sense that Mike Krahulik has conservative viewpoints on gender issues and has bad PR training).

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@themanwithnoplan: The thing with the controversy is that a very small (vocal) minority of gamers care enough about gender politics and whatever to even be aware of this "ongoing" controversy (which at this point is only ongoing in the sense that Mike Krahulik has conservative viewpoints on gender issues and has bad PR training).

Gamers, sure - but what about presenters and other members of the industry? Just look at Max Tempkins response. From what he wrote, it's almost like he wants nothing more to do with PAX - and he's not the only one out there...

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: ah, ok,

any chance has it been known when they will start selling pax prime tickets? ill try my luck to get tickets then.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mrfluke: probably 6 months from now. Both shows are (generally) 6 months apart and they (generally) sell tickets 6 months before the show.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@mrfluke said:

@aviar: but do they sell tickets at the pax site itself?

No official ticket vendor sells tickets at the event, but you're sure to have a dozen or so scalpers outside the convention center trying to shill passes for an exorbitantly hiked price.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I imagine there are some really pissed off Polygon and GameSpot employees right now.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My cousin and I just picked up Friday and Sunday tickets. I'm really hoping for the Giant Bomb panel to be on a Friday, but if it ain't, then I always have the archive to watch. This will be our first "videogame convention" experience and we were just happy that all the passes weren't sold out.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bemusedchunk said:

@bisonhero said:

Gamers, sure - but what about presenters and other members of the industry? Just look at Max Tempkins response. From what he wrote, it's almost like he wants nothing more to do with PAX - and he's not the only one out there...

Yeah, a larger percentage of that group is aware of the controversy and it matters to them, but getting back to TheManWithNoPlan's original discussion of "PAX still going strong", my implication was that most attendees aren't super concerned about it, and WAY more devs and presenters would have to drop out for it to actually have a noticeable effect on attendance. The Fullbright Company (of Gone Home) and Rock, Paper, Shotgun are some of the major players who are explicitly not attending PAX because of the controversies, but the vast majority of devs and presenters seem like they would rather still go to PAX to interact with the gaming community.

I really think at this point PAX barely has anything to do with Penny Arcade and is just "big-ass gaming convention, focused on gamers instead of being press-oriented", and Penny Arcade's role is something like that of a boxing promoter. They aren't really the main attraction, they just facilitate the event happening. I don't think Krahulik's comments magically make the whole show floor this anti-trans, rape-endorsing space. If people don't like Mike and/or Jerry and their viewpoints, don't go to their panels, and I guarantee you have a remarkably low chance of ever seeing them the whole weekend. The only reason I ever saw Jerry at last PAX East was because I went to the panel about the development of the Penny Arcade game. I never even saw Mike once.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#24  Edited By Marino  Staff

@mrfluke: Prime is generally even more difficult to get a badge for. And they have not sold badges at the convention center since 2009. Ever since then, they sell out way before the show.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino: geez, i mean is pax east worth it for friday and sunday alone?

id rather take a shot at securing a 3 day pass for pax prime then, whether it is the 3 day pass itself or buying the 3 passes individually, cause with hotel and travel costs already, id prefer to go for all 3 days of a pax event.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Marino  Staff

@mrfluke: Tough call. Depends on if you have people to go do stuff on the day you can't go to the show.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@l4wd0g said:

I imagine there are some really pissed off Polygon and GameSpot employees right now.

Why? They generally get press passes that are distributed separately from the standard convention badges.

Meepasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Meepasaurus

@mrfluke said:

id rather take a shot at securing a 3 day pass for pax prime then, whether it is the 3 day pass itself or buying the 3 passes individually, cause with hotel and travel costs already, id prefer to go for all 3 days of a pax event.

Prime is infinitely more difficult. Last year they sold out of 4-Days before I got through the queue, and I had clicked the link about a minute after it went out on Twitter.

Edit: Individual day passes are still doable, but you'll need to be ready to hop in the queue the second the link goes out. It's also going to be a 4-day event again in 2014 FYI. If they pre-announce the start time, then I'd expect it to go even quicker as it did with East today.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#29  Edited By Hailinel

@mrfluke said:

Prime is infinitely more difficult. Last year they sold out before I got through the queue, and I had clicked the link about a minute after it went out on Twitter.

Yeah, getting a four-day pass for Prime is pure luck at this point.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrfluke

@hailinel said:

@meepasaurus said:

@mrfluke said:

Prime is infinitely more difficult. Last year they sold out before I got through the queue, and I had clicked the link about a minute after it went out on Twitter.

Yeah, getting a four-day pass for Prime is pure luck at this point.

i mean ill still give it a shot once pax prime tickets go live, cause to spend money on hotel and travel, imo might as well go for all days of a pax.

wonder if Pax Australia is as popular?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BisonHero

@mrfluke said:

If you have a bit of money, make Saturday your day to go do some tourist stuff around Boston? It's a cool city. Friday and Sunday is still a fair amount of time to go check out PAX East, and really you can still see most of what's on offer except for panels and concerts that are specifically happening on Saturday.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

If you have a bit of money, make Saturday your day to go do some tourist stuff around Boston? It's a cool city. Friday and Sunday is still a fair amount of time to go check out PAX East, and really you can still see most of what's on offer except for panels and concerts that are specifically happening on Saturday.

Pax east isn't the only convention i have the ambition of going to next year, so im being a bit strict on money, hence my hesitation on buying the tickets for 2 days only. but making that saturday a whatevs day with a couple buddies isnt a bad idea either....hmm

historically, has the GB and cards against humanity pax east panels been on the Saturday?

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Marino  Staff

@mrfluke said:

historically, has the GB and cards against humanity pax east panels been on the Saturday?

There is absolutely no way to predict that.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@marino said:

@mrfluke said:

times a million!!!!

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rentfn said:

@marino said:

@mrfluke said:

times a million!!!!

ah ok, didnt know,

Avatar image for brewmaster_andy
    Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

Yeah it's unfortunately part of the gamble. Last year was the first Friday Giant Bomb panel that I recall, but who knows what that means for this year.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well seeing as how saturday is sold out too...that really sucks the3 day and saturday went so fast. anyone have experience with whether most are actually bought by attendees or is it a bunch of re-sellers eating up the passes?

Avatar image for brewmaster_andy
    Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

Well there were definitely some resellers, but Khoo usually cracks down on that pretty hard.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#39  Edited By Jedted

@brewmaster_andy: Has there ever been PAX that sold out this quickly? Last year i remember there still being passes available in January(two months prior to the event). I remember cause i bought my Sat & Sun passes in October and then i bought a Friday pass later on.

2013 was my first PAX experience and i'll be really bummed if i can't come back.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedted said:

@brewmaster_andy: Has there ever been PAX that sold out this quickly? Last year i remember there still being passes available in January(two months prior to the event). I remember cause i bought my Sat & Sun passes in October and then i bought a Friday pass later on.

2013 was my first PAX experience and i'll be really bummed if i can't come back.

I'm fairly certain that tickets for PAX Prime in Seattle sold out this quickly when they went on sale earlier this year.

But yes, this is by far the fastest that PAX East passes have sold out.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I personally think step one to helping fix this issue is not allowing people to buy more than two 3-day passes. Right now, I'm pretty sure it is five, which is insane. So, scalpers get one, order 5 3-day passes...

Second, I heard that PAX East is going to be expanding soon with the expansion of the convention center that is planned...and maybe under construction...? Not sure if that's confirmed.

I was unable to get a 3-day pass, so I had to order two single-day passes, one for Friday and one for Saturday.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.