Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX East 2015

Concept »

The sixth annual PAX East took place March 6-8, 2015 at the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center in Boston, Massachusetts.

Requested PAX Panel Archive: The Science of Online Bullying

Paul_Tillich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Paul_Tillich

Thanks to the GB community for support you gave me when I posted about having my panel idea accepted by PAX East. I think it went really well. Many of those interested in the topic were unable to be in Boston this past weekend and asked for an archive, if possible. Well, I was unable to find someone able and willing to record the panel in close detail. But my colleague and I made a pretty decent (very very amateur) video of the panel. If you are here to watch this, you were probably not at PAX East, so here are the official panel details:

"Oxytocin has been called “the moral molecule.” It is linked to trust and cooperation. High levels result from things like handshakes at PAX. Even reactions to tweets equal those created in person. But oxytocin has a dark side. In large groups it may increase hostility toward those considered outsiders. Join two Ph.D. students for a conversation on how communal ethics benefit from hospitality and invitation as the science is described then applied to cases of harassment in the gaming world."

You probably can't read the first slide from the iPhone we attached to a speaker, so here are the panelists:

Benjamin Chicka (me) @benchicka

Andrew Tripp (my colleague) @astripp

Did anyone actually attend the panel? I know a handful of people who were going to make an attempt.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Thanks again for keeping us in the loop, duder!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 thatpinguino  Staff

That was an excellent presentation! I'm sorry that I couldn't attend it in person and it looks like I really missed out.

I hope you two make a comeback for next pax east. I would love to hear your further studies.

I also loved the shout outs you gave to inclusive stuff at the end. We need more Isometric listeners!

Paul_Tillich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the support. That's very kind. We are both (segregated in our studies) academics and this is the first time we did anything for a video game community. But, based on the reaction, we may be dong more in the future together and/or individually.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

This was a very engaging panel that the two of you put together. I think it's actually helped to concrete a couple of ideas concerning empathy that have been floating around my head for a while, now. Thank you both for your effort!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.