Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

1080/ti or 1070 for 4k 60fps/Should I just wait for Volta?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll 1080/ti or 1070 for 4k 60fps/Should I just wait for Volta? (89 votes)

Buy a GTX 1070 1%
    Buy a GTX 1070ti 1%
    Buy a GTX 1080 6%
    Buy a GTX 1080ti 20%
    Wait for new Volta cards to be released 72%

I recently bought a 4k HDR TV, and I need to upgrade my graphics card so I can be one of those cool, 4k gamer boys. However looking up this stuff has lead to a bit of confusion. That's why I have decided to turn to the smartest people I know, you guys! I have some general questions that would be great if I could get answered or just answer my poll if you wouldn't mind!

First, my current specs:

GTX 970
    i7 6700k
    16gb DDR4 RAM

Here is where I'm getting tripped up. The "general internet" consensus is that the 1070 is great for 1080p gaming, the 1080 can handle 4k but not necessarily always get 60fps, and the 1080ti can easily handle 4k 60fps. I am not to confused about the 1080ti but I am with the 1070 and regular 1080. Particularly the part about 1070's being great for 1080p gaming. My 970 already seems pretty great for 1080p gaming but I guess only until recently I was able to max out every game at 1080p and get 60fps. So is it really not possible with my current rig to get 4k 60fps with most games on a 1070(ti) or a regular 1080? I also haven't really seen a consensus on what the 1070ti can actually do.

Also, what are the chances of the new Volta lines having similar performance to a 1080ti at a much lower cost? Right now, if a 1080ti is really the only option for 4k60, I might just wait a few months to see what Nvidia puts out next. It seemed like the 10 series was pretty big on getting computers VR capable at a reasonable price. Is there a chance the Volta series can do the same for 4k60fps??

Thanks as always duders!

• 
    OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By OurSin_360

1080 isnt a 4k card, and a single 1080ti can scrape 60fps at 4k with some current games(obviously as time goes on that will be less the case). Now if you could do 1440p a 1080 will be good (maybe a 1070ti too)and a 1080ti will get you high frames if you want 144hz or something.

If 4k 60 is your only goal, wait and see what the new cards can do or do sli but that isn't gonna be supported in all games.

the_devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By the_devoid

I'm currently using a 1080ti with a 4k monitor. I find it is a good combo and the GPU has had little issue hitting 60 fps in the games I have played (Destiny 2, Wolfenstein 2, etc.). At most you will have to turn down a couple settings such as anti-aliasing, but you don't need AA very much at 4k anyway. If you are wanting to make use of 4k right now that is what I would suggest. I used to be running a 1070, but I had to turn down a lot of settings to hit 60 fps with it.

I'm sure the 1180 will be better than the 1080ti, but I'm not sure how much better considering AMD has no competitive GPUs which also leads to me not being sure how long it will be before the next generation is finally released since Nvidia has little incentive at the moment.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I have a 1080, not TI, and i can crush pretty much any game at 1080p, but even some newer games will dip into the 40's at max settings. You may be able to get good FPS at 4k, but resolution does not equal high settings, and with whats currently available I think you'll be making more compromises than you'd want to.

the_devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtb08: What CPU are you using? I would guess that it is likely CPU bottlenecking. Especially if the game is AC:Origins.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MillaJ

You can generally get a solid 60fps at 4k with a 1080Ti, but you'll probably have to tinker with the settings on newer, graphically dense, or poorly optimized games. It doesn't just utterly crush 4k as well as one might hope. I'm pretty happy with mine, yet I can't help but wish it had just a little more kick at 4k. If you're willing to wait it might be worthwhile to do so. I don't know anything about the next generation of cards. Based on my experience with the 1080Ti, I can't see a 1080 or 1070Ti handling 4k all that well.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Right now I am getting by on the well outdated Titan black. It's actually served me pretty darn good, but it is outclassed by todays standards. My strategy is to hold out for the next NVidia card series, both to extract the last bit of value, and to get something next that should give me some headroom and performance for 4K.

yabbering_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely wait for Volta or you will regret it - unless you are totally flush with cash and regret isn't going to be an issue.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a 1070. For the most part it destroys 1080p, and should do so for years to come, even without an overclock. It probably would've been fine for 1440p, too, but I chickened out of getting a PG279Q for several reasons (money, wanting a longer lifespan before upgrading, the appeal of thoughtlessly bumping everything up to ultra in every game ever and brute-forcing through poor optimization, not wanting to render a 1080p picture on a 1440p screen if it comes to it), so I guess I'll never know for sure.

The 1080Ti seems like it can do 4K at ~60fps for now, but you'll probably find yourself having to do something more thoughtful in video settings menus than just maxing everything out in the not-too-distant future. If you want a card that'll destroy 4K, I don't think that card exists yet, unless you get a good overclock on a 1080Ti maybe?

If you can't wait to see what Volta has to offer, it might be worth considering getting an EVGA 1080Ti card and leveraging their step-up program, if you're in a supported country. It seems like Volta is expected to arrive Q1 2018, but that might not end up happening. Or you could buy a 1080Ti with the intention to sell and upgrade later.

As a final remark, 4K HDR in the PC gaming world is lagging far behind the home theatre market. 4K HDR adaptive sync monitors have been pushed back to some unknown 2018 release period, they'll be super expensive when they do release, and there are currently format wars over HDR and adaptive sync that'll make me hesitant to make the plunge at least until G-Sync finally dies. (I say this as someone who forked out for a PG248Q: the sooner the industry backs Nvidia into a corner and forces them onto the FreeSync bandwagon, the better.) What might finally sort their shit out is HDMI 2.1 arriving in the home theatre market, which has a variable refresh rate standard built in and might be here in 2018, but 2019 seems more likely.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@the_devoid: ive got an i7 4770, thought id be fine with that still

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.