Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Are you going to get a steam controller?

• 87 results
    personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By personandstuff

They're starting to ship out for people who preorderred early enough and I'm thinking about ordering one for the next batch. I've been without a wireless controller option on the pc for a year plus having mousish levels of precision without having to sit right next to my big ass tv would be great. Only thing I'm worried about it is support, particularly for the rare non steam game like my gog copy of The Witcher.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I ordered one the day they were put up for preorder, I think they are supposed to be in on the 16th for people that preordered.

It's an interesting concept, worth throwing a few bucks at.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I sort of would like to see some kind of coverage of it here first. Like can they do a QL of a controller?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

The bigger barrier to me with playing games on my TV is that the size of icons on games not designed for a controller are too small to see from my couch. Having a controller won't really improve that experience. For anything else, a 360 controller works fine.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre-ordered one the day they hit the Steam store. So yes.

limond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By limond

No, I do not plan on getting one. I played with one for a little bit at PAX East last year and just wasn't impressed with it. I'm still using a wired Xbox gamepad in my PC and it still works perfectly fine. No need for it.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I'm really considering it. Once they're out and some impressions are posted, that is when I'll make the decision.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Whitestripes09

meh, I haven't used one yet, but I just don't see the big rush to grab one when my 360 game pad still works. If it ever breaks I might consider it.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the moment I can't think of something I would want to use it with that doesn't support a normal controller, but maybe some day.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Hell yes I am.

Got a bonus from work so have some spare cash and a new controller!? I'm in. Gonna try it out with Civ and Xcom and see what's what.

The bigger barrier to me with playing games on my TV is that the size of icons on games not designed for a controller are too small to see from my couch. Having a controller won't really improve that experience. For anything else, a 360 controller works fine.

Yeah I mean this exactly why this controller always seemed a bit off all in all. Still, as someone who always sits close to a monitor, it would be cool to use a controller even when a KB+M is within reach. I'm old and keyboards ain't great for me.

CouldbeRolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe at some point. I rarely play anything with a controller on PC, so there's no rush.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Maybe at some point I'll purchase one, but I'm still not sold on idea of a touchpad replacing a mouse and keyboard in games that require a mouse and keyboard.

TreeTrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

It is region locked :(

I was really impressed with the double trigger buttons, as in, the trigger to aim down the sights and shoot is the same, if you push the trigger halfway, there's a first click and you aim down the sights, but if you push the same trigger further, there's a second click and that's your shoot.

There's also some sensor stuff on the bottom.

I hope giantbomb do some coverage on it as well.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I preordered one instead of getting the Xbox One Wireless Adapter against my better judgment. I want to try it out. IGN (and I think some other place) have impressions on it and both seemed more negative than positive. But maybe it just takes getting use to. The only thing I'm worried about is it feeling strange where the 4 buttons are placed.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'd like to try it, but seeing i already have a ps4, xbone, and xbox 360 controllers for my pc it would be a bit overkill.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to see it in action, I haven't kept up with it but if i could play M/KB games with it instead i may get it as i fucking loathe mouse and keyboard and to get bad arm cramps etc.

Original_Hank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Preordered! I typically don't like to be the guinea pig for this kind of thing but it just sounds cool and I trust valve to put out something good.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I'm interested but I usually have a SNES controller, a PS1 controller and a PS3 controller around to use so don't really need it.

Malarkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be keeping a close eye on reviews and coverage of it. My original 360 controllers are falling apart and the bluetooth adapter I have is too short-range to make my ps4 controller feasible. Hopefully this thing is nice!

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless it gets stupidly good reviews or something I don't see the point.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Meh, probably not. It seems like something designed for people who want to play PC-ass-PC games on their big TV and/or people who vehemently dislike "regular" controllers. I am neither of those. If it comes out and its life changingly good then sure, I'll pick one up, but as of right now, I don't see what it as to offer me.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Doubtful, I'll probably get one of those Steam Link things though if it reviews well.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm interested in it, but as others have said I'm waiting to hear what other people say about it first.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

I should be getting one in the October batch, i'm curious about the design and potential innovations to support it. I just hope there's a lot of consumer level customization with the touch pads.

Joshakazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanted one, but considering the fact that there has been no mention of when they will be getting to Australia it's looking unlikely i'll be getting one for a while.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27 chaser324  Moderator  Online

I pre-ordered one alongside a Steam Link. I really have no clue how well either is going to work, but they could be a great way to bring more PC games into the living room if they live up to their potential.

gamehaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i can imagine wanting one with a couch pc setup and a want to play couch-friendly mouse driven games but the ps4 and xbox one controllers are far and away the best controllers ever to grace the platform so its hard to justify this for now. i don't think selling through these things without a steam link was ever valve's intent though

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I preordered day 1, have yet to get a "order shipped" message. I'm a sucker for new controllers - damn near bought an Ouya just for the controller. Too bad it sucked.

Right now I'm mainly using a PS4 controller via InputMapper, and while it functions perfectly, the actual Bluetooth connectivity is touchy as shit. I don't know what the problem is - sometimes it works great through the computer and through a wooden desk, sometimes I need perfect line of sight to avoid 200ms lag.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'd like to try it, but I don't really need another controller

Jarno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jarno

Not having a controller currently, and looking to get one, I am planning to get the Steam controller.

The haptics, the different types of inputs, the freedom in mapping and binding the inputs to mouse and keyboard and other functions, the potential for use outside of games, all interest me.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I ordered one. it seems like a cool thing that I want to try.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are the dimensions larger than the xbox one and ps4 controllers? Just remembered it looking beefier and that may be attractive (duke controller 4 lyfe)

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As someone who finds it increasingly uncomfortable to sit for long periods playing with a keyboard/mouse I'm very interested to see how this shakes out. I find myself using a controller more and more often on PC games that support it, more out of necessity than by choice, with a Razer Orbweaver on my lap and G602 for games that don't.

I've got a funny feeling that after the first batch of reviews are in I'll be sticking with the Orbweaver and getting a wireless Xbone pad and dongle.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#36  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I'll wait and see what games will support it and if it's really an improvement over my current 360 controller. I think the 360 controller works fine as it is, but if the Steam controller does RTS games and stuff like that, like they advertised a few years ago I may pick one up.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it looks awful to me. plus I already can use my ps4 controller

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I would have, if I could buy it. Seems we here in Norway can't order it yet.
    I do normally use a wired 360 controller, so if this one seems good I will buy it once I can. If not, I'll just go for a Xbox One controller eventually. Seems to be the best to use.

shozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pre-ordered as soon as it was possible. I loved the xbox 360 controller but once I swapped it out for a xbox one controller I could never go back. I'm wondering if it will be the same when I hook up the steam controller.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My 360 control still does the job fine for now. Maybe if it dies (my last wired 360 control went on fire...well, the cable did. And I don't mean it got hot, I mean it was smoking and while there weren't flames spitting out, it was glowing red when I noticed) I'll consider one, but only if it's not poo

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I ordered that and the Link. I figured I'd try the controller out and if I really hate it I'll put it on ebay.

jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I want one so bad. It looks so interesting, and is made by such a reputable company. I haven't been intrigued so much by a peripheral since the PS3 Boomerang controller. (Which I really wanted to try)

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Giant_Gamer

I'm really looking forward to it since i want to throw out my KB/M but i don't want to order it unless i try it first and see how it fits in my hands.

I'm a bit disappointed that it's not on retail yet.

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waiting to see if it delivers on its promise PLUS if it is usable by people with smaller than average male hands, which I'm getting the impression it isn't. Reaching with your thumbs is really really bad.. So if this doesn't work for tiny people I'll be waiting for something similar with the right size.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently the steam controller bindings work for any non steam game as long as you run it through steam. Which clears up a lot of my issues and will inevitably lead to a lot of dumb stuff like steam bindings for Excel and winrar.

Also there will be community bindings that replace the fire button with alt f4.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got the wireless xbox 360 controller that I use, works fine for controller games. I really don't like the look of their controller. I did preorder a steam link though the day the preorders went up, see if that thing was 50$ in the trash or not.

Avatar image for supremegreen_dx
    SupremeGreen_DX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been strongly considering it for a while. I suppose the only thing holding me back is having enough loose cash that i don't already have dedicated to something else.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I may end up venturing back into a Gamestop in order to try one, since it looks like Gamestop is going to be the exclusive retail distributor of Steam Controllers, at least for now. I hope stores are going to have a demo unit available, or at least a reasonable return policy for them. I did try a prototype Steam Controller, but it was several revisions ago and I would love to get my hands on the final version before committing to a purchase.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

Mine has shipped, was exited all week thinking it was coming in today (10/14/2015) as it said on the Fed Ex tracker. You can imagine my disappointment when Fed Ex tracking updated today and said it's still in Illinois.

There's a dude on youtube demoing a few games with the final build.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@sin4profit: Wow, he was actually looking pretty precise with his cursor movement when he was playing CIV5, not that I would use the controller with a cursor game. The customization and mapping options seem pretty impressive. I'll have to demo it at a retailer to really make my final decision. The potential for even high level FPS play is there but I bet just like any new input, it will take some time to get use to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.